Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #91

Nah, not obsessed much about a new body. It probably won't be announced before late summer anyways.

What I'm obsessed about is the lack of new lens releases since the DFA 100mm F/2.8 Macro WR... I want an ultrawide lens with WR (or DA*)!!!

And an improved DA*16-50mm F/2.8 would be most welcome as well. (Or how about a DA 16-45mm F/4 ED AL II WR?)

Pentax has been silent for a long time now. My bet is a new EVIL camera is in the works.

06-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #92
Veteran Member

I have no plans to buy a Pentax body in the near future, but I think the K-7 is an exciting camera for Pentax and shows they are going in the right direction. If Pentax is listening to their users and reviewers and makes the improvements (improved sensor & AF) then I think they will have a serious contender.

If I do buy a K-7 replacement it will not be until it has been on the market for a year, the kinks/firmware have been addressed, and the price has dropped 40%.

Of course if Pentax does produce a camera that does live up to expectations, it will hold its value a lot longer and probably stay over $1,000.00 for its entire life cycle.
06-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #93
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
I want an ultrawide lens with WR (or DA*)!!!
A DA*(or just WR) 20mm, + or - 5mm, would be the only APS-C lens I would buy in the future. Something small, fairly wide, and weathersealed.
If they made a lens like that with FF coverage and an aperture ring I would be even happier.
06-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #94
Veteran Member

In answer to the original question...

Only if it's FF. If not, it can make french toast while shooting pictures and video simultaneously and I wouldn't give a crap.

06-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #95
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Maybe they should offer their services to BP.

hey that's a good one

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:13 PM.
06-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Only if it's FF. If not, it can make french toast while shooting pictures and video simultaneously and I wouldn't give a crap.
Pancakes, sure. But french toast... that's almost a deal-maker.

Ok, I kid.

But as much as I'd love a FF body, I have this fear that it would be some slow, clunky monster with a borrowed image pipeline from the K7/645D, so it would do maybe 3fps.

So a FF body at 8-10fps, yup, I'd buy one right now; I've been saving. Otherwise, naw... I'd have to 'wait' (ie change systems) for the 2nd gen body with improved #'s.

I remember all the APS-C drum-beating a while back, so I'm betting it'll be a crop. So if it's between the K-x and K7 I could care less. If it's FF they better do it right, but like I said, it'll probably be an 'intro' FF body till they work out the kinks.

Some refreshed accessories, flash, and glass would be nice too.
06-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Not to insult anyone, but people with latest DSLR's who drop them after 6 months to move onto the next great thing just about slay me. Some people clearly take having the "best" in terms of gear far too casually. It's a lot like owning the same beat up old car for a decade or more and while watching people with brand new, perfectly maintained cars who trade them in within a year just because they can.

I mean DANG, don't you realize that if you're actually shooting with a decent DSLR you're probably shooting with a better camera than 75% of the rest of us will ever own?

FYI, I've been using the same non-DSLR digital since 2003! Heck even the same feakin memory cards, I kid you not. It's probably a miracle my Fuji even still works, I think, and while I surely do wish I could own something as nice and pretty as a K-7 or a K-X I'm still happy to have my Fuji for the most part, though I will admit to being frustrated with it's limitations sometimes when I see what a proper DSLR is capable of.

I've got 2 more years at least I have to get out of this camera before I can save enough for my K-whatever and some decent lenses and in the meantime I'm definitely green with envy here! Geeze, some people definitely need to count their blessings, be grateful they get to own a DSLR at all, and QUIT SHOWING OFF ALREADY! (Grumble grumble. )

06-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #98

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Not to insult anyone, but people with latest DSLR's who drop them after 6 months to move onto the next great thing just about slay me. Some people clearly take having the "best" in terms of gear far too casually. It's a lot like owning the same beat up old car for a decade or more and while watching people with brand new, perfectly maintained cars who trade them in within a year just because they can.

I mean DANG, don't you realize that if you're actually shooting with a decent DSLR you're probably shooting with a better camera than 75% of the rest of us will ever own?

FYI, I've been using the same non-DSLR digital since 2003! Heck even the same feakin memory cards, I kid you not. It's probably a miracle my Fuji even still works, I think, and while I surely do wish I could own something as nice and pretty as a K-7 or a K-X I'm still happy to have my Fuji for the most part, though I will admit to being frustrated with it's limitations sometimes when I see what a proper DSLR is capable of.

I've got 2 more years at least I have to get out of this camera before I can save enough for my K-whatever and some decent lenses and in the meantime I'm definitely green with envy here! Geeze, some people definitely need to count their blessings, be grateful they get to own a DSLR at all, and QUIT SHOWING OFF ALREADY! (Grumble grumble. )
I agree wholeheartedly with your rant here. There are people out there shooting with iPhones that are doing more impressive things than most DSLR owners. Unfortunately, people judge your photographic ability largely on the size of your equipment (not unlike other activities ) rather than looking at what you produce with it. It is an unfortunate trend that many of us spend more time reading about gear than we do using what we've got.
06-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Don't laugh but that's actually why I went "retro" and got myself an SLR. At some point I realized that part of what was holding me back as a photographer wasn't just the limitations of my Fuji but my own mindset that in order to learn properly I just "had" to have a DSLR.

Now I'm not saying I don't covet one. Sure I do, but I have two years to go at least until I can get one. For now, I just think that I can learn more using the older equipment and film and that it really shouldn't matter really that it's not a DSLR. If I am any kind of good photographer then the SLR's should do me for now.

Having a DSLR that will be a matter of convenience. Yes, I will enjoy it, but if I can't go out with my SLR and do a decent job then I maybe I shouldn't be shooting with a DSLR in the long run. What's the sense of saving up for $2000 worth of brand new up to date digital equipment if I probably don't know how to use it and likely never will? It's like someone who can barely drive a golf cart trying to drive a Ferrari!

There's a lot I have to learn first. In the meantime I'm really trying to restrain myself when it comes to "gear envy" and DSLR's. Fixating on everyone else's expensive equipment and constantly feeling the constant pressure to update that's just been really counter productive to my being a good photographer in my book. I should be more happy with what I've got. It's decent gear. It's just not digital for the most part, that's all.

I do joke about it, being envious sometimes, and yeah, sometimes I really am, but I also feel maybe it's good for me not to be able to afford anything I want, whenever I want. Using the old equipment may not be as chic, but who knows my photography skills may benefit from it. When I do finally get that DSLR at least I will know what to do with it and I won't just be using auto mode 90% of the time like I did with my Fuji for far too long.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
I agree wholeheartedly with your rant here. There are people out there shooting with iPhones that are doing more impressive things than most DSLR owners. Unfortunately, people judge your photographic ability largely on the size of your equipment (not unlike other activities ) rather than looking at what you produce with it. It is an unfortunate trend that many of us spend more time reading about gear than we do using what we've got.
06-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #100
Inactive Account

There are also many people doing impressive things with DSLRs that couldn't be done with an iPhone.

A great photo stands on its own, regardless of what equipment was used to make it. Real photographic ability has nothing to do with, and will no be judged based on photographic equipment.

You can't just write off the importance of the gear used to make a photograph. For many(if not most) photographic fields, gear does matter. Past a certain point it matters less and less, but it still matters.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with anticipating/comparing/debating gear. Some people quite enjoy it.

06-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
There is absolutely nothing wrong with anticipating/comparing/debating gear. Some people quite enjoy it.
Certainly there isn't anything wrong with it. But we should measure a photographer based on their photos, not based on their camera.

If all a person wants to do is research/buy nice cameras and gear, and never gets around to actually using it, that person is more camera enthusiast than photographer. But there isn't anything wrong with that.
06-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #102
Inactive Account

Certainly there isn't anything wrong with it. But we should measure a photographer based on their photos, not based on their camera.
That was exactly my point in saying a great photo stands on it's own.

How often have you seen a photographer be judged based solely on his or her equipment? I have never seen it happen. Content will always be the main factor in such judgement.
If there is content to be investigated that will be the prime factor in judgment, and I don't think you would find too many people that would disagree with that in principle or practice. As such, I think the constant negative jugdment of the mere discussion of gear is extremely silly.
06-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was exactly my point in saying a great photo stands on it's own.

How often have you seen a photographer be judged based solely on his or her equipment? I have never seen it happen. Content will always be the main factor in such judgment.
If there is content to be investigated that will be the prime factor in judgment, and I don't think you would find too many people that would disagree with that in principle or practice. As such, I think the constant negative judgment of the mere discussion of gear is extremely silly.
This is very true. Most of us use very impressive equipment as it is, especially those of us who have a Kx, K-7, K-20 or even earlier models. However it is nice to know that the company you invested a fortune in is still hitting home runs. So am I obsessed about the next Pentax body? No, in fact it will just make my K-20 seem older and heavier. Even so, when it does come out I will be there with the rest of you and reading every last detail about it. That is, of course, unless it is just a K-7 in orange!
06-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #104

How often have you seen a photographer be judged based solely on his or her equipment? I have never seen it happen.
More frequently, I see a photographer who thinks that more expensive gear will instantly bestow upon them better photo-taking skills.

Hence the respect I hold for individuals who resist this temptation, and focus more on improving their personal mastery of the craft.

This is the difference between my wife and I. I'll research stuff for ages and obsess over lenses, but I don't think it helps much at all when it comes to actually shooting. On the other hand, my wife doesn't read about gear at all really, but does a fantastic job posing subjects and interacting with them to get fantastic expressions.
06-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #105

Yes I am obsessed.

Now what will the number and name be?

Pentax K-Series Film Bodies

We have had a replacement K-m and replacement K-x are we back to K-2? See link above...

K-2 is my guess.

Fossilo

PS

History may repeat it self and we all know that it should be a better camera with new features...