Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #106

I'm chomping at the bit while waiting for the new body.

06-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #107
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
More frequently, I see a photographer who thinks that more expensive gear will instantly bestow upon them better photo-taking skills.
But that is an individual judging themself based on the gear they use. It has no impact on how "we" judge their work or the work of any other photographer.

I've often seen someone on Flickr ask in the comments section of a great photo what lens or body it was taken with, which I think does signify that they put more stock in the ability of the gear than that of the photographer to make a great photo. It doesn't diminish the quality or artistic merit of the photo itself though. I've still seldom seen a photo be judged to be better(or worse) than really is simply because it was taken with a particular piece of gear. When I have seen something like that it's been people receiving increased praise because of the lac of capability of their gear. For example: "wow, this is a great photo, especially since you took it witha holga".
06-29-2010, 05:29 AM   #108
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mamothstick Quote
I'm chomping at the bit while waiting for the new body.
I am ready myself.

So much so I could see myself being an early adopter, something I almost never do with electronics. Show me a few thousand samples and I am probably all in..

I believe this illustrates an unusual condition in the current DSLR market. This is that I believe there is a good amount of pent up demand for new DSLRs due to Nikon, Pentax, and Sony all due ,and really overdue, for some semi-pro to pro cameras.

Nikon is due for a replacement of the d700 and really a d300s successor should float on in fairly soon

Pentax is due a K7 replacement and the potential big boy FF.

Sony discontinued the A700 some time ago and the a850/a900 is also due an update or a succesor

Canon seems to have not delayed any steps with their 7d, though the Mark II 5d is getting a little long in the tooth relatively speaking..

I am anxious to see what unfolds in the next few months. I scour the internet for the first genuine leaks - and they will begin appearing, maybe as soon as about one month from now.

Bring it on! My FA Limiteds need a FF and my eyes need a FF viewfinder...
06-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
I am ready myself.

Bring it on! My FA Limiteds need a FF and my eyes need a FF viewfinder...
Amen!

06-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
But that is an individual judging themself based on the gear they use. It has no impact on how "we" judge their work or the work of any other photographer.

I've often seen someone on Flickr ask in the comments section of a great photo what lens or body it was taken with, which I think does signify that they put more stock in the ability of the gear than that of the photographer to make a great photo. It doesn't diminish the quality or artistic merit of the photo itself though. I've still seldom seen a photo be judged to be better(or worse) than really is simply because it was taken with a particular piece of gear. When I have seen something like that it's been people receiving increased praise because of the lac of capability of their gear. For example: "wow, this is a great photo, especially since you took it witha holga".
I'm not sure exactly what point you want to make here. I'm basically just expressing my respect for folks who don't get caught up in the "next big thing" mentality and instead focus on getting out and taking pictures with whatever they've got. I fail to see what is objectionable there.

And, there is at least one photographer I know of that doesn't respect anyone who isn't using a Canikon FF. And, he constantly is falling prey to the 'grass is greener' idea and spending tons of money to switch systems and selling old gear and whatnot. I think there is a lot more to be gained by learning to use what you've got, and understanding that we're all using stuff that wasn't available at any price 10 years ago, so any failure to produce good results is most likely not the fault of the equipment.
06-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #111

I'm curious about the new body Pentax (if they will be really available) because pentax have done a good job with the k7 and the k-x.
06-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #112
Inactive Account

The point I was making is that art stands on its own, and it's tedious that many threads discussing gear end up with someone posting that gear doesn't matter, and generally being condescending to those in the discussion. Gear may not matter to you, but as such, it would probably be a good idea to stay out of a subforum based primarily on the discussion of possible future gear.

The photographer you know that doesn't respect other photographers using anything less than FF has no impact on the merit of a photograph. Discussions of gear and obsessions with gear also have no such impact. Condescension towards those that hold gear to be an integral part of the photographic process, and enjoy discussing gear, also has no impact. However, IMO the latter is also misplaced in a subforums based around gear discussion.

We all approach photography in a different way. Whether it is purely an artistic pursuit, an artistic pursuit coupled with an interest in the collection/use of gear, or primarily a gear driven approach. None of these is better than the other, they are merely different. Why attempt to discount the approach of others if their approach takes nothing away from you approach?

That's what I'm trying to say. I feel a discussion of this sort, or an expression of your opinion regarging others' interest in gear, would be better suited to a thread in the general photography subforum than in here, where most discussion is focused on gear.

06-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
The point I was making is that art stands on its own, and it's tedious that many threads discussing gear end up with someone posting that gear doesn't matter, and generally being condescending to those in the discussion. Gear may not matter to you, but as such, it would probably be a good idea to stay out of a subforum based primarily on the discussion of possible future gear.

The photographer you know that doesn't respect other photographers using anything less than FF has no impact on the merit of a photograph. Discussions of gear and obsessions with gear also have no such impact. Condescension towards those that hold gear to be an integral part of the photographic process, and enjoy discussing gear, also has no impact. However, IMO the latter is also misplaced in a subforums based around gear discussion.

We all approach photography in a different way. Whether it is purely an artistic pursuit, an artistic pursuit coupled with an interest in the collection/use of gear, or primarily a gear driven approach. None of these is better than the other, they are merely different. Why attempt to discount the approach of others if their approach takes nothing away from you approach?

That's what I'm trying to say. I feel a discussion of this sort, or an expression of your opinion regarging others' interest in gear, would be better suited to a thread in the general photography subforum than in here, where most discussion is focused on gear.
The discussion here is a question of being obsessed over gear. Discussing said obsession and how it relates to photography as a whole seems to be quite on topic.

Your point that "art stands on its own" is perfectly fine. I agree. I also think that there is nothing wrong with getting excited about gear. I also think that there is plenty of freedom for any photographer to shoot with as much or as little gear as he or she chooses, and that people can produce impressive shots with low end gear or high end gear. All I've ever said in this thread is that I respect those folks that can engage in photography even with out of date or low-end gear, because they show that you don't need to spend half your paycheck to be a photographer. Is there anything wrong with that sentiment?

It seems to me that you have an axe to grind. I'm not looking down on anybody for being excited about gear. Hell, I've posted about MY OWN excitement in this thread, so how exactly could I be "condescending" to the participants? Please don't make a controversy where there is none. I too would like to get past this part of the discussion.
06-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #114
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Unfortunately, people judge your photographic ability largely on the size of your equipment (not unlike other activities ) rather than looking at what you produce with it. It is an unfortunate trend that many of us spend more time reading about gear than we do using what we've got.
I just just get tired of running into statements like the one above in threads like this, especially since I think it is a flawed assertion.
Usually I just pass them by but sometimes I decide to throw in my 2 cents.
06-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #115
Pentaxian

I'm with you here, it is tiresome when people climb up on a soapbox and lecture about how gear doesn't matter, how it is all about art, or how they could take great pictures 50 years ago and how it is almost a good thing that our Pentax gear forces us to work harder for our pictures. No, I want better AF more DR and cleaner high ISO and I don't want to shoot like 50 years ago.
06-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #116
Veteran Member

I believe in general, people will get much more excited with an affordable new camera body. because they can afford it easily.
07-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K20 is working just fine and has the 2 year extended warranty still to go. So I am leap frogging over the K7 and K8 - then based on how my K20 is still performing (well I hope - knock on wood) we will see. K20 works great for landscapes and sunset/sunrises and the like.

Its interesting to read what may be coming out - but, I do not need every new neat feature. Cameras are after all here to take pictures with ....
07-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #118
Veteran Member

I just bought a K7 2 days ago: $1155 with 2 WR lenses

I think I might just turn it around and return it the second it arrives, I made a mistake and did the mass rumor/next release after I hit the buy button

I'm planning on the K7 being two things:

The last camera I'll ever buy (for a little while)
A boarding camera/camcorder for winter 2010

I got the K7 body for 800, if the new K7/K7 super has the same MSRP of the K7 then that $300 would be better spent on a dedicated HD camera , but I still would want my last camera I'll ever buy to be a current top of the line model

It's such a toss up!! I think I got the K7 for as low as it's going to go, but if I could just return it and wait 2 months for any announcements then everything will be so much easier, but I want to use the K7 now!...even though my Kx can more than handle the job until after Photonica when I'll actually need a WR body

Last edited by future_retro; 07-04-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typo
07-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I just bought a K7 2 days ago: $1155 with 2 WR lenses

I think I might just turn it around and return it the second it arrives, I made a mistake and did the mass rumor/next release after I hit the buy button

I'm planning on the K7 being two things:

The last camera I'll ever buy (for a little while)
A boarding camera/camcorder for winter 2010

I got the K7 body for 800, if the new K7/K7 super has the same MSRP of the K7 then that $300 would be better spent on a dedicated HD camera , but I still would want my last camera I'll ever buy to be a current top of the line model

It's such a toss up!! I think I got the K7 for as low as it's going to go, but if I could just return it and wait 2 months for any announcements then everything will be so much easier, but I want to use the K7 now!...even though my Kx can more than handle the job until after Photonica when I'll actually need a WR body
The K-7 replacement will have the same MSRP of the original K-7 when it was released so expect $1,499.00....... If it is announced in Sept, then I would expect you could get one in December before Christmas.
07-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #120

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The K-7 replacement will have the same MSRP of the original K-7 when it was released so expect $1,499.00....... If it is announced in Sept, then I would expect you could get one in December before Christmas.
Agree that the $ will be in this range, however will the camera be enough of an upgrade to the current K7?

I guess we are all hoping so!