Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #136

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
God, I hope not. If Pentax goes M4/3 I'm going back to Nikon.
+1

At least our current lens investment will hold it's value until the K bodies that are out there break down

07-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #137
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
+1

At least our current lens investment will hold it's value until the K bodies that are out there break down
It's ridiculously...Hoya can't move to 4/3.
07-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Rabadged Samsung NX?

Rabadged Samsung NX?

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Don't think Pentax is gonna go for FF anytime soon, but I'm pretty confident to say that Pentax will release a mirrorless camera very soon, probably before the end of the year
07-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
Rabadged Samsung NX?
Don't think so...

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
+1

Then you better prepare going back now The EVIL market is so much bigger than FF.

07-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #140
ogl
Pentaxian

Rabadged Samsung NX?
No. Pentax EVIL.
07-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #141
Veteran Member

If they make EVIL, I hope it'll have three things:

1) Advanced control - like K10D (HyP, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv, M, X, B modes and two control rings, ability to change ISO and EV+- fast (without entering menu)

2) 1.5x crop

3) Large chamber inside camera, so we can use small wide-angle lens protruding inside camera
07-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #142
Inactive Account

Does M4/3-cameras have smaller sensors than regular dSLRs?
07-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #143
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
Does M4/3-cameras have smaller sensors than regular dSLRs?
Of course. Crop-factor 2.

07-14-2010, 12:36 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Don't think so...

Then you better prepare going back now The EVIL market is so much bigger than FF.
If true then I must say that personally I am dissapointed. If Pentax have allocated their resources to that end of the market I think it is at the expense of the other end which I am looking at. Based on the latest sale trends though I guess SLD is where the market is growing and it makes business sense. However it will be hard to outcompte all the big firms who are already in the game. I think in the long term things will shuffle around a move towards entry level SLD cameras, but due to its small size, Pentax will end up in the same market share spot it is in now in SLRs. Shame we cant have both Full Frame and SLD..
07-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Due to its small size? Oly/Pana were'nt exactly market dominant in DSLRs were they ?
Ans Canikon has zero market there right now.
If Pentax goes FF now, they risk going Sony, having good cameras (I mean the FF ones) but nobody to buy'em. If nobody buys the cameras, nobody buys the lenses and basicaly you're in deep ****.
07-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #146
ogl
Pentaxian

If true then I must say that personally I am dissapointed. If Pentax have allocated their resources to that end of the market I think it is at the expense of the other end which I am looking at. Based on the latest sale trends though I guess SLD is where the market is growing and it makes business sense. However it will be hard to outcompte all the big firms who are already in the game. I think in the long term things will shuffle around a move towards entry level SLD cameras, but due to its small size, Pentax will end up in the same market share spot it is in now in SLRs. Shame we cant have both Full Frame and SLD..
Funny...EVIL sells like a hot cakes.
Hoya can sell 100 EVIL vs 10 FF cameras.

FF will be...Don't worry
07-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #147
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Due to its small size? Oly/Pana were'nt exactly market dominant in DSLRs were they ?
Ans Canikon has zero market there right now.
If Pentax goes FF now, they risk going Sony, having good cameras (I mean the FF ones) but nobody to buy'em. If nobody buys the cameras, nobody buys the lenses and basicaly you're in deep ****.
Yes. FF is not a holy cow.
07-14-2010, 04:39 AM   #148
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm still not convinced that EVILs are the future.

I think there's little doubt that the segment will grow in size however I'm not sure how profitable the segment will be long term because it really depends which demographic is buying them at the moment.

I'd be interested to know what the lens sales are like for Panasonic and Olympus.

If Pentax could squeeze the required electronics into an MX sized body for a normal K-mount APS-C camera then such a model could easily compete with EVILs - although this will likely be exceptionally difficult from an engineering point of view. In many ways the problem of miniaturisation is not the mirror box or registration distance but the electronics.
07-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #149
Veteran Member

There is no way to make an MX sized APSC K mount dSLR due to the size (mostly thickness) requirement for sensors/filters/LCD and etc.

Pentax is very good at making things small, I'm sure they can make some nice EVIL cameras which might grab some market from Panasonic/Olympus/Sony.

To compete against CN in the already very small FF market now isn't a good idea and not practical at all.
07-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I'm still not convinced that EVILs are the future.

I think there's little doubt that the segment will grow in size however I'm not sure how profitable the segment will be long term because it really depends which demographic is buying them at the moment.

I'd be interested to know what the lens sales are like for Panasonic and Olympus.
To give you some idea go check the dpreview m4/3 boards - basically there are stock watches for all of the lenses out there - and they disappear as fast as they are posted. Same goes for the olympus electronic viewfinder, and the GF1/20mm combo is still selling very well almost a year later. Having 2 companies clearly making non-competitive lenses (Panasonic more robust build, built-in IS in lens, but larger, olympus making compact designs that hold up equally well) gives the consumer good all around choice with their even with the relatively limited lineup.

It also seems to me that at least half or more of forum members on the 2 boards I read have purchased with clear intent to use legacy glass, or have given legacy glass a shot because of the photos they have seen captured.

My feeling? I would drop it all if Pentax made an evil camera that could at least communicate aperture through an adapter (would love to use my current DA lenses on the format). If not, it had better be competitively priced because the market is getting thick.