Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #16

I don't mind EVIL but I would prefer an APS-C or even a FullFrame Sensor. It's rumored that the upcoming Canon EVIL will have an APS-H sensor. The M4/3 sensor is too small for my tastes. My heart still lies with DSLR's though.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Like it or not, the small cameras are the future. Don't think for one minute that Nikon and Canon don't also have similar projects going on in their R&D departments. It's not if, it's when. A new generation of kids are growing up who have never touched a film camera. They are quite comfortable with camera's without viewfinders and mirrors. Camera body's are becoming disposable electronic devices to be replaced on a regular basis.

All the gloom and doom worry warts who fear that Pentax is about to get chopped up and closed by Hoya should be thrilled that Pentax is looking to the future and prepared to have a product ready if and when smaller sized camera's take off. Maybe it won't happen but if it does, starting from scratch will be too late.

06-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Curious why you'd care if Pentax sold M4/3? I'm sure the addition would augment rather than supplant their current offerings. Is it a purist issue; i.e., EVIL is evil? I, for one, could care less if Pentax sold disposable cameras as long as their semipro-pro DSLR segment remains fertile.
Amen to that.
06-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Like it or not, the small cameras are the future. Don't think for one minute that Nikon and Canon don't also have similar projects going on in their R&D departments. It's not if, it's when. A new generation of kids are growing up who have never touched a film camera. They are quite comfortable with camera's without viewfinders and mirrors. Camera body's are becoming disposable electronic devices to be replaced on a regular basis.

All the gloom and doom worry warts who fear that Pentax is about to get chopped up and closed by Hoya should be thrilled that Pentax is looking to the future and prepared to have a product ready if and when smaller sized camera's take off. Maybe it won't happen but if it does, starting from scratch will be too late.
small cameras don't mean they have to be limited to m4/3.

if Pentax is going to go this road, I'd rather buy the much bigger sensor Samsung or Sony. for me personally, m4/3 for me is nothing more than rip-off.
06-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #19

That would be pretty retarded for Pentax. Why not just collaborate with Samsung on their APS-C evil,why m43?

06-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From Wikipedia

Four Thirds system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I got into Pentax because I am happy with their image quality and lenses at a reasonable price. I would probably go back to Nikon as well if they switched to a 4/3 system.
06-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Pentax going m4/3 - OK. But didn't everyone argue that Pentax cannot support three lens lines? (That was said with regards to the FF format: FF is impossible because it requires a new lens line. OK, but suddenly it's viable to produce another line for a smaller camera format?)

Well - whatever Pentax does: let's support them!
06-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #22
Forum Member

if they do make a small camera body i would hope it is compatible with older lens like fa or da

06-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Pentax than lensproducer for MicroFT?
Good possible,Pentax owns a lot of Lenspatents,much more than known in public.
And in the beginning of Pentax,they done it the same way.
Optical parts and systems for binocular and cameraproducers.

Best regards,Andy
06-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Curious why you'd care if Pentax sold M4/3? I'm sure the addition would augment rather than supplant their current offerings. Is it a purist issue; i.e., EVIL is evil? I, for one, could care less if Pentax sold disposable cameras as long as their semipro-pro DSLR segment remains fertile.
I agree MrPetkus. I love Pentax and would rather see Pentax stealing lens sales from other companies and make profit. In fact that's how Pentax can reach other potential buyers! People will try a lens before buying a body. As long as Pentax does not "just" become a lens manufacturer. It's a great way to make some mulah and also recover the R&D costs of lenses too! So maybe the price of our lenses might just go a little south just to stimulate the economy some more :-D
06-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #25

OMG - you're not obsessing every waking second over the prospect of a FF Pentax!? Shame on you.

That said, I hope the FF crowd doesn't rush in and hijack this thread with the same tired, repetitive, angst-ridden, back and forth, ad infinitum arguments extolling the benefits of FF. My scrolling finger is getting tired.
Perhaps there's an obsession with 110mm full frame. 13x17mm film is same size as 4/3 sensor. Why limit one obsession for another? Be obsessed about full frame and 4/3!
06-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

My forum might get a little more activity at least.
06-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
My forum might get a little more activity at least.
I'm about to join.
06-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
3 different lenses but with almost identical element arrangements seem strange to me. I love to see Pentax making m4/3 lenses for Panasonic & Olympus, but starting their own m4/3 system might not be a good idea.
06-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #29

That seems very likely.

Micro Four Third systems had a huge success around the world and Pentax (but also Canon and Nikon) would be crazy not to launch such a camera, be it with APS-C or 4/3rd sensor.

Sony was clever to offer its own variant to the M4/3 system. I bet this EVIL camera line will be much, much more popular than their own DSLR line.
06-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I seriously doubt that Pentax is going to stop making camera bodies in the current size format. The Micro 4/3 or whatever will probably be an additional line.

Around 10 years ago, a new music format began getting popular with kids and geeks called MP3. Serious music lovers laughed at it. It didn't have the quality or fidelity as a CD. A serious fan of music wasn't going to listen to tunes on a computer. But the kids gobbled up IPods so fast they couldn't keep them in stores. Look at what has happened to the music industry. This same generation has grown up with digital camera phones, digital cameras that also shoot video and they aren't going to buy Daddys camera any more than they bought Daddys stereo. That is why the camera manufacturers are making these small cameras. They could care less if I like EVIL or micro 4/3, they want my teenage grandaughter as a customer because that is the future.