Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Will Sony supply the Sensor for future bodies?

So far what they made is remarkable for the Kx and other brands bodies. Will they get the tender for the upcoming one i wonder.

06-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #2

I'm pretty sure Pentax went with the one that offered the best specs and quality vs. price when they started the developpement of the upcoming body.

My guess is that new Pentax DSLR will have more than 12 Mpix and use a Sony sensor. But maybe the K-x's Sony sensor will make it into yet another Pentax body...

It could also be the new Sony CMOS sensor (15 Mpix, 4 channels) or the new Samsung CMOS sensor (14.2 Mpix, 8 channels)... I doubt it's gonna be the Samsung sensor though, since this one was only announced a few weeks ago. The developpement of the next Pentax DSLR probably started before that.

Rumors of a new, 21 Mpix (from Canon?) full frame Pentax DSLR, along with the possible introduction of a new Micro APS-C EVIL camera, just add up to the confusion.

Quite frankly, I don't know anymore.

Pentax has been quiet for quite a long time, so they must be up to something "big" (like a new lens line-up, FF or Micro APS-C), so anything is possible here.
06-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

as many times stated, they need to be quiet to preserve sales for current bodies, especially if there is an upgrade coming.

I don't think they'd have been so quiet if preparing a different offer like an EVIL or MILC, so my vote goes for an upgrade.
06-22-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It all depends on what sensors are available from the possible parties. I would say that it is between Sony and Samsung and I am sure that Pentax has already made their decisions for the cameras to be released this fall. I am sure it will come down to a combination of specs and price, but anyone who knows anything has signed a nondisclosure agreement.

06-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
I don't think they'd have been so quiet if preparing a different offer like an EVIL or MILC, so my vote goes for an upgrade.
The K-x is no doubt a competitor to current EVIL or MILC cameras, so I think they have good reasons to be quiet if they're going to release such a camera too.
06-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO samsung unless Sony comes with asensor capable of 1080p and/or 720p (but 720p @60fps).

Afaics Sony does not care at all about video.
06-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Afaics Sony does not care at all about video.
Now that is funny. Sony have 4 Alpha bodies to release in the coming months. Two of them are "hybrid" HD video/still bodies. Like Panasonic the are rolling out a HD video camera that has the new E-mount used on the NEX cameras.

06-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Now that is funny. Sony have 4 Alpha bodies to release in the coming months. Two of them are "hybrid" HD video/still bodies. Like Panasonic the are rolling out a HD video camera that has the new E-mount used on the NEX cameras.
Yep, exactly. They released the news on new HD camera as soon as they released their NEX system. Keeping customers well-informed about their roadmap.

Sony aside, D700 FF Body sells like hotcakes, negated their (no) video capability... But I ain't say that FF Body with no video is the only way out though.

IMO, we might see Pentax return to Sony once again for their sensor choices, as they used to (*istD)...
06-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nobody knows. End of story.
06-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Talking doesn't help (I target Sony here). They seem to be very good at missing targets.
But it would be good for competition if... they agree not to give Nikon months exclusivity as usual
06-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Maybe" is the best answer :^)

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
So far what they made is remarkable for the Kx and other brands bodies. Will they get the tender for the upcoming one i wonder.
Sony's A550 uses a 14mpx sensor that compares decently to their A500, which is probably using the k-x sensor. Pentax made video come from that, and they can probably make Sony an offer - I just dropped my Alpha gear to be here, so that's one less A550 they will be foisting on folks