Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
totally agree
I beg to differ here. Unless one deeply understands the procedures, their meaning and the actual sense of what is being measured, this site as many others is pretty useless. In fact, the only use it has is to give rise to yet another argument in yet another flame/holy war of this brand versus that brand or that lens/camera versus another lens/camera. In no way it can help me to make better pictures or buy better gear (assuming momentarily for sake of this conversation that buying a better gear is a good idea anyway). However it can make me appear so much more knowledgeable on online forums and such.

Again, this does not apply to those who really understand what DxO Mark camera+lens database is about. In particular, this does apply to me, as I don't have a clue whatsoever about these numbers, nor I wish to have one. I've a t-shirt that says in rather big letters: "I shoot, I don't test!".

06-27-2010, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't know what you're all saying here ...

DxO published parts of their lens profile database. That's a thing we can only welcome. Otherwise, nothing has changed.

I have a lot to criticise. But nevertheless, DxO-Mark is the best testing measures database out there. You may just ignore their final scoring system, though.

But don't speak so negatively about other people's work you would be unable to even reproduce and which you didn't pay for.
falk, I agree in this very case: you proved to me enough you are very knowledgeable in this area.
In general though, being critical (in the good way) to anything, including about work I couldn't make myself is a wise thing.
To me, the fact DXO uses a score ruins most of their efforts simply because most people (those not understanding the whole which means 99%) will only look at the score.
Moreover, they test (same for their dxo modules) almost no pentax stuff which means it is of no use as to compare within pentax system.

A pity because it seems to be good work (for what I can judge and my limited competence in this field).

Your posts all always much welcome. Thank you.
06-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #18
emr

I wont even pretend to understand all the methods they use and how to interpret the results, but I have to say that I'm pretty amused by some reactions here. Do we really have to see everything according to the Pentax gospel? No matter what, there can be no fault in our holy Pentax? When a test praises Pentax equipment, we make waves and hold hands. But when a test shows not so great results, it's either a flawed test or non-significant results. Ease off, it's just stuff we own and not something that defines us as people.
06-27-2010, 02:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Agreed EMR, hope you didn't react to my post specifically. If so this not what I meant.
I do not question the results, I question what they make of'em.

06-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Do we really have to see everything according to the Pentax gospel? No matter what, there can be no fault in our holy Pentax?
Yeah, right. In fact, Pentax gear is very weak in many aspects. But in order to see and comprehend those weaknesses we don't really need someone such as DxO to do some testing and tell us (like some kind of revelation) that our cameras and lenses are full of compromises, deficiencies, etc. I much rather each of us arrived to their own understanding of their gear through their own practice so as to make the best pictures given what at hand.

I for one, see a number of things that may be improved in Pentax gear. And some of these things are done right in other systems. I believe the opposite is also true. However categorical statements is something that really irks me personally.

Last edited by Boris; 06-27-2010 at 03:45 AM.
06-27-2010, 03:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
In general though, being critical (in the good way) to anything, including about work I couldn't make myself is a wise thing.
To me, the fact DXO uses a score ruins most of their efforts
Yes, I should have written "work one doesn't understand".

I think I wanted to establish an opposing opinion and exaggerated a bit. I agree with the criticism of their scoring system too.

And I know many don't understand my blog articles neither. So, I should be cautious with this argument
06-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #22
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yes, I should have written "work one doesn't understand".

I think I wanted to establish an opposing opinion and exaggerated a bit. I agree with the criticism of their scoring system too.

And I know many don't understand my blog articles neither. So, I should be cautious with this argument
The problem of DXO is not DXO's works and results. The scoring system is 3D mark like.
06-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #23
Site Supporter

I only thing the DxO site is good for is the lens builders.. The rest of us that read it are wasting our time, It means nothing to the average shooter out there... I've seen crappy pictures taken with the best lenses and seen awesome pictures taken with the worst lenses in the DXO charts. It's all about the PHOTOGRAPHER!