Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New DxO Mark camera+lens database

Not sure if this topic is relevant to the news forum (mods, I am at your mercy...) but there is an interesting new tool/database at DxOMark with camera+lens measurments including some Pentax ones (kit lenses + 50mm macro + 16-50f2.8*).

For those interested:

DxOMark - New DxOMark 2010 adds Lens Measures and Scores

06-23-2010, 03:59 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For housewifes - it seems to me.
Photozone is much interested. IMO
06-23-2010, 04:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Housewifes all over the world will appreciate your kind comment I am sure...
06-23-2010, 04:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Oh, that would be a very special kind of house wives, methinks. Other than that, I mostly share your sentiment. Jokes aside, such a site is really for very special kind of people...

06-23-2010, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's a useful site and service.

One shouldn't complain about organisations that put good empirical data out there, for free, on issues like lens and sensor performance.

I wish though that there were more Pentax lenses (and cameras, like the K-x) in their database. And more correction modules available for Pentax stuff (like the K-x) for DXO Optics Pro.
06-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax ain't doing so hot yet. See the rankings here: DxOMark - Lens rankings -- the 50-200 is the lowest ranking lens out of everything for every brand. Welp.

It would be a bit interesting to see some actual good and/or unique lenses tested (read: the entire FA and DA Limited lineups)
06-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Pentax ain't doing so hot yet. See the rankings here: DxOMark - Lens rankings -- the 50-200 is the lowest ranking lens out of everything for every brand. Welp.

It would be a bit interesting to see some actual good and/or unique lenses tested (read: the entire FA and DA Limited lineups)
numbers are just numbers. DA50-200 us a very fine lens. I can say so.

06-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

I am not sure for whom this site is best. It is slow, incomplete and provide limited data. Personally, I would not use it.

For some solid data on lenses, the independent reviews by Welcome to Photozone! and www.slrgear.com are excellent and they complement nicely the user reviews at PentaxForums.com - The Largest Pentax-Dedicated Photography Forum Community- Home.
06-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
ogl
Banned

I don't understand how this measurements could help me with lenses?
It seems to me it's something like Photo 3D mark.
06-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
numbers are just numbers. DA50-200 us a very fine lens. I can say so.
Their "peak score" is a strange beast, it's difficult to understand what it's really about, but it seems to put lightweight long zooms at a disadvantage. There are not many of those in the list, but strangely, a few more, e.g. Nikkor 55-200, show up when you use the compare function.

Here the DA50-200 is compared to the Nikon and Sony counterparts and on cameras with similar Sony sensors:
DxOMark - Compare lenses

The DA50-200's "lens metrics" look good compared to the other two, so how it ends up with a worse score I really don't know.
06-24-2010, 03:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am but a housewife, with something like a pentax dslr. I am struggling with the concept of resolution versus or = sharpness and the way I perceive it and also the way in which I like it or not. Add an emontional factor and it all becomes blurred. Is dxo supposed to help poor housewifes or should they better turn to photozone, or would it not altogether be better to just keep struggling by taking pictures and fight the battle with sharpness, out of focus area, pinpoint manual focussing, own and equipment limitations and plain circle of confusion limitation, which are all to difficult for me poor housewife to understand. Well, I wished I could understand more of physics, of noise to signal "things" , but I don't. I go out into the woods and fields, I do my battle without numbers but with eyes and hands and feet and am humbled by all I see around me and silenced by your wisdom of numbers.
06-24-2010, 04:10 AM   #12
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
I am but a housewife, with something like a pentax dslr..
make photos. not tests.
06-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thank you, Sir Ogl-of-the-universe, bound for Twello's borders I am, may your advice support me in my quest for the right image at St. Martin's churchyard.
And indeed, no tests, they'd give me headaches only, which is something I have my sons for. So then, fare thee well and may thy pictures out-star mine.
06-26-2010, 02:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't know what you're all saying here ...

DxO published parts of their lens profile database. That's a thing we can only welcome. Otherwise, nothing has changed.

I have a lot to criticise. But nevertheless, DxO-Mark is the best testing measures database out there. You may just ignore their final scoring system, though.

But don't speak so negatively about other people's work you would be unable to even reproduce and which you didn't pay for.
06-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

But don't speak so negatively about other people's work you would be unable to even reproduce and which you didn't pay for.
totally agree