Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by fzwo Quote
I think that statistic is heavily skewed because people dream of certain products with a lot of "sex appeal", which for cameras would be EVIL and FF, so they more often click through to dealers without having any real intention to buy. Virtual window shopping, if you wish.
For this particular portal, clicking thru to the dealer doesn't make a lot of sense because the portal provides a link to the vendor's product description. That portal in particular (geizhals.at) is known for seriousity and you normally go there to actually buy, not window shop BTW, that's the only way to explain the good score of the D90 which is a boring product by 2010's standards

07-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #122
Forum Member

I know geizhals - I actually use the heise.de price portal, which is based on geizhals.

The D90 may be boring, but it is a very capable camera at a good price and I don't doubt that it's still selling very well. I also don't think people window shop D90s

I just don't think they buy full frame cameras in the numbers the geizhals statistic suggests. The japanese statistics I've seen speak a very different language, as do those by amazon.de (admittedly probably not the preferred source for pros buying photo gear).

Anyway, I didn't want to prove you wrong or anything. IMHO it would make sense for Pentax to get into at least one of those segments (both, if they can get the financial backing from Hoya). Not only for absolute numbers, but also for the buzz, and because, as I said, EVIL is the future. Maybe not the immediate future, but it helps to gain experience before the great OVF-EVF migration, and we could get a nice "limited" digital rangefinder from Pentax. IMHO they could fill the spot Leica is too expensive (and too manual) for. Sony is too gadgety (and their lenses too fat), and all others don't make kit as beautiful as Pentax.