Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Why does everyone keep going on about unicorns? Pentax has made it abundantly clear that there are no unicorns on the roadmap, and that they're fully committed to flying ponies. A unicorn would have to be a lot larger and would take considerably more feed. And the delivery quality of unicorns is overrated -- for most conditions, a flying pony can actually do just as well.
Using unicorns for delivery just can't compete with the other market for them

06-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Really? I don't see a package like the K-7 from anyone else.
Yippee, they've found a niche. Somewhat better than every one else's bottom feeders, and blown out of the water by their big guns.
06-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is succeeding as of late by introducing cameras that don't compete directly with Canikon, but rather by offering a unique set of features that you can't get anywhere else. The K-x continues to be a Amazon Top-25 seller, the 645D is following in its heels, and even the Point & Shoots offer something different, even if it is only cosmetic.

So if you are expecting a 7D/D300 beater at K-7 prices, you will be disappointed.
And if you are expecting a 5DII/D700 beater at K-7 prices, you will be disappointed.

I for one am hoping for a small K-x-based WR EVIL that I can throw into a pack along with a fistful of pancakes and roam the world with.

Until then, here's a unicorn:
06-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #34
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
And a rotating, if not tilting, screen.
A rotating screen would be a great and a real benefit to me!

Wll

06-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #35
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Since it is just speculation, I am betting on an improved K7.....from what I read the only thing lacking of significance on the K7 is the low light ability that is found in the Kx. Like my K20D (which is a fantastic camera) made improvements over the K10D, I expect the same kind of improvement over the K7 in the next model. For the majority, I don't think revolutionary changes are necessary to produce a winner.
Regards!
06-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
There seems to be very little real information. Lots of wishes, guesses and hopeful conclusions. Some members obviously know stuff, but can't really reveal much under NDA. I personally have zero inside information, but my guesstimate and conclusion based on tiny data fragments and hints as well as the general tendencies of the camera business is this:

- Pentax will announce two new DSLRs this autumn (at Photokina?)
- One of the models will be a "K-?" (by whatever name) that will go between K-x and K-7 quality-wise and will have weather resistance, perhaps the same APS-C Sony sensor that K-x has and will probably sell like hot pancakes. The second camera will be above the current K-7, but will still be using an APS-C Samsung sensor. What will be the significant improvement over today's K-7 is a much better new AF system. And also a better video capture, perhaps even at 1080p.
- Next year: a 35mm full frame weather sealed camera in a body bigger than the K-7, but much smaller than the FF CaNikons. Also: 1-2 new 645D models, either with minor improvements or removed properties and a reduced price.
a little ups......i bet approx the same....approx
06-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Why does everyone keep going on about unicorns? Pentax has made it abundantly clear that there are no unicorns on the roadmap, and that they're fully committed to flying ponies. A unicorn would have to be a lot larger and would take considerably more feed. And the delivery quality of unicorns is overrated -- for most conditions, a flying pony can actually do just as well.
Besides, everyone who has already bought saddles for their flying ponies would have to then buy new saddles, since the flying pony saddles would not completely cover the unicorn's larger sitting area. In order for Pentax to launch Unicorns, they would also have to spend the R&D money on a whole new line of saddles and accessories to fit the larger format. I just don't think they can handle that kind of undertaking at the moment. But at the same time, Pros demand the performance of a Unicorn, and sooner of later Pentax will have to give them what they need, otherwise they will leave the brand and go use the Canikorns.

06-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

So if you are expecting a 7D/D300 beater at K-7 prices, you will be disappointed.
And if you are expecting a 5DII/D700 beater at K-7 prices, you will be disappointed.

How about those of us who realize that you have to pay for top end equipment and don't play the Pentax apologist game?
Will we be disappointed to?
06-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
How about those of us who realize that you have to pay for top end equipment and don't play the Pentax apologist game?
How about those of us who want really, really nice pro quality equipment and are ok with it being $4000? I don't know why Canikon's top end bodies are $4000-$8000 but people think pentax's should be 1/4 of that. Pentax needs to stop making cameras that a barely better than the 9 month old canikon body for a few hundred dollars less, and start making bodies that are way better than the competition and not be afraid to charge for it.
06-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #40
Veteran Member

What a great idea, a unicorn would be perfect for lugging a 645d around!
Maybe I should start a unicorn hire business to compete with the sherpa service that canikon users must use!
06-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #41

Photos: Albums
We seem to get attacked by the zealots whenever we point that out.

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
How about those of us who want really, really nice pro quality equipment and are ok with it being $4000? I don't know why Canikon's top end bodies are $4000-$8000 but people think pentax's should be 1/4 of that. Pentax needs to stop making cameras that a barely better than the 9 month old canikon body for a few hundred dollars less, and start making bodies that are way better than the competition and not be afraid to charge for it.
06-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

It's not so much the size of pony that I'm worried about. It more that the market trend seems to be unicorns and as wonderful a flying ponies are...I think delivery via unicorn may sell the brand better.
06-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
would you bet on the new camera being revolutionary or playing catch-up?
My bet would be neither. If Pentax stays true to its form, they will release a solid, feature rich camera that unfortunately lags behind in a few specs that camera consumers have sometimes arbitrarily, sometimes fairly decided are the deciding factors in camera worth. With the K20D it was AF, with the K-7 it was high ISO noise and AF tracking, with the next camera it will probably have too many megapixels, or too few, or no manual video control, or poor AF tracking. Some flaw that will doom it from the beginning.

I would also bet that even the new flag ship is a great camera, especially for the price, people will find the one thing that is wrong with it and nag on it incessantly until they convince themselves and others that it's not worth buying.
06-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yippee, they've found a niche. Somewhat better than every one else's bottom feeders, and blown out of the water by their big guns.
Well, but also different.
06-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Good Lord, someone actually agrees with me.