Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #76
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF - YES
20 MP - Whatev'r (Better make it 10MP and boost sensitivity to ISO 1,000,000 to forget ISO wars once and for all)
EVIL - YES
ARRGH EVIL (A Really, really good helluva EVIL) -- YES!

06-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #77

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
For Pentax, they have an issue about getting the most out of the ISO but will require a sensor size large enough for DA lenses to achieve decent resolution on a crop. At that point, Pentax is not going to be able to put out a D700 competitor. We'll have to see what kind of sensor capacity allows for the D700's ISO performance at higher MP's, and see if Pentax issues FF, exactly where they straddle that line. If they can get an FF sensor into the K-7 body...
If they scaled the K-x sensor up to FF and put it in a K-7 body (slightly larger to accommodate a FF viewfinder, etc) I would be thrilled. Incremental upgrades to AF and metering or whatever would be fine, but this basic recipe would add up to a very compelling camera.

Of course, real engineering isn't as simple as take 2 parts K-x and 1 part 645d and 5 parts K7, but still. A small FF with ISO range extending 12800, and ~20 MP would be pretty perfect. Weather sealing and some new WR FA Ltds and we have one sexy system. A few other "pro-level" features wouldn't hurt, like dual card slots or tethered shooting, but Pentax has the ingredients there to put together a very attractive camera right from the start.
06-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Sony is the one who can "scale up" the K-x sensor Would they improve the high-ISO on the next generation? Most likely. Would Pentax use that sensor? Who knows... I'm not holding my breath.
07-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #79

Photos: Gallery
Just bring out a K-7 with a max 14Mp sensor with better DR and high ISO and I will be a happy camper for the next 2 - 3 years. If you must make it FF, so be it.

Hmm, does the DA35 cover the FF image circle? Otherwise I am not sure the FF idea is ok with me.

07-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
Just bring out a K-7 with a max 14Mp sensor with better DR and high ISO and I will be a happy camper for the next 2 - 3 years. If you must make it FF, so be it.

Hmm, does the DA35 cover the FF image circle? Otherwise I am not sure the FF idea is ok with me.
I think you're on the right track. It's fun to dream, but every time a camera is around the corner, everyone gets so excited about everything it could possible be, until it's this mystical dream machine, and then everyone is inevitably let down when it doesn't compare to their wish list. I hope the new body is going to be really great. But then gain, the K-7 is really great, and even just being a little better than that would be an awesome camera. There is almost never a huge jump from one generation of bodies to the next. Canon 40D > 50D, Nikon D200 > D300, Pentax K10d > K20d, Pentax K-7 > K-?... The next body will likely be evolutionary, not revolutionary. Don't get me wrong, I would love for it to be revolutionary. But by expecting that, I just set myself up for disappointment. It probably won't be enough to make K-7 users upgrade, just like the K-7 wasn't enough to make many K20d users upgrade. But people who are still on the K10/20/200/x, will likely find it very desirable. I'm excited to see what it is, but I'm trying to stay realistic. If Pentax happens to go big boy style, and release something mind blowing, awesome. I'll be all the more excited because I wasn't expecting them to.
07-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
it really depends because for me if the next body is like 3-5fps, i am getting a 8~10fps system for my sports assignments and for everything else will be the K20D.
07-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #82
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
This will be delivered to your door on a rainbow-colored flying pony.
You so often crack me up!