Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
That's pretty much my feeling about the whole thing. Pentax seems to largely march to the beat of its own drummer. Sure, they incorporate new technology into their cameras, but they aren't really setting out simply to match the big guys. Sometimes having an attractive camera means trying to match the big guys in certain areas, though.

My thoughts on it are that the next DSLRs released by Pentax will be either a step up from the Kx or K7, and a FF body.

If the next DSLR isn't full frame I wont be particularly interested. My K7 is a hell of a camera, and does all I need an APS-C camera to do. For everything else, I've recently just been resorting to film. If they released a FF camera it would probably cut into my film usage, but wouldn't replace it totally. It would probably replace my K7 though.
My feeling exactly

I'd use either my LX or Super Program if I want to use a FF camera. And my keeper ratio can be as high as 100% when I'm using these

06-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Thing is which model(s) do they want to play catch-up with?
Why so defeatist a tone? Pentax will do what Pentax will wanna do, period. Not to mention that betting on such things is almost surely loosing money.

06-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #18
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
This will be delivered to your door on a rainbow-colored flying pony.
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Is this another stupid rumour or do you have actual evidence to back it up?
Actually RH has already blogged about it being in fact a donkey and not a pony to begin with.
06-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
And a rotating, if not tilting, screen.
Forget tilting, too fragile. K-7 screen already rotates 360, freaked me out at first, till I figured it was normal.
Cheers, Mike.

06-27-2010, 03:25 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no such thing as a revolutionary dSLR at this point. Pentax doesn't make sensors, so they can only use the sensor technology that is available to the camera makers. I personally hope that they don't bump megapixels higher, but rather look to increase dynamic range and auto focus capabilities -- maybe add a few points and improve tracking.

Anyway, the K7 update will be more of an incremental improvement rather than a huge change. Body will remain basically the same, but the sensor will change as well as some of the software. This is fine with me -- it's a really nice feeling body.
06-27-2010, 03:46 AM   #21
emr

There seems to be very little real information. Lots of wishes, guesses and hopeful conclusions. Some members obviously know stuff, but can't really reveal much under NDA. I personally have zero inside information, but my guesstimate and conclusion based on tiny data fragments and hints as well as the general tendencies of the camera business is this:

- Pentax will announce two new DSLRs this autumn (at Photokina?)
- One of the models will be a "K-?" (by whatever name) that will go between K-x and K-7 quality-wise and will have weather resistance, perhaps the same APS-C Sony sensor that K-x has and will probably sell like hot pancakes. The second camera will be above the current K-7, but will still be using an APS-C Samsung sensor. What will be the significant improvement over today's K-7 is a much better new AF system. And also a better video capture, perhaps even at 1080p.
- Next year: a 35mm full frame weather sealed camera in a body bigger than the K-7, but much smaller than the FF CaNikons. Also: 1-2 new 645D models, either with minor improvements or removed properties and a reduced price.
06-27-2010, 04:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
This will be delivered to your door on a rainbow-colored flying pony.
Not a unicorn?
Why does everyone keep going on about unicorns? Pentax has made it abundantly clear that there are no unicorns on the roadmap, and that they're fully committed to flying ponies. A unicorn would have to be a lot larger and would take considerably more feed. And the delivery quality of unicorns is overrated -- for most conditions, a flying pony can actually do just as well.

06-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #23
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They can't expect that many new users after the K20d and K7 in APS format. Any new users have probably already bought one of those, or went with another brand. Their best shot is getting all the K100d, Kx, K7, and K20d of the past several years to finally take the Full Frame plunge. A full frame Pentax would certainly outsell any new APS sensor camera. I'm sure they know this.
06-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

In some ways Pentax is ahead of Canon & Nikon

In some ways Pentax is ahead of Canon & Nikon

Weathersealed cameras, and shake reduction inbody

However Pentax offering these specs does not make Canon & Nikon respond

I assume if K-7 replacement had a better sensor most everone here would buy it.
Maybe even add at full price knowing it will sell for about half the money a year later, as usual.
I don't buy any new camera from Pentax till its dropped full 40% off launch.
And I miss no shots with other dslrs inhand waiting for the Pentax camera price to deflate.
So a newer improved sensor K-7 is off my shopping radar till a year after Photokina 2010:
Fall 2011

I still see no full frame 24x36 or Evil from Pentax.

Hoya said the aps-c lens system is complete.

Pentax is busy selling 645D for 10 times the money K-7 go for and clearing out the new old stock 645 lenses remaining in inventory in Japan.

If you want someting better than K-7, then buy 645D or shop for another brand.
06-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

At this point, pretty much anything Pentax does to their cameras is playing catch up.
06-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
They can't expect that many new users after the K20d and K7 in APS format. Any new users have probably already bought one of those, or went with another brand. Their best shot is getting all the K100d, Kx, K7, and K20d of the past several years to finally take the Full Frame plunge. A full frame Pentax would certainly outsell any new APS sensor camera. I'm sure they know this.
I don't think thats totally true. I own a K20 and liked the APS-C format, did not see enough in K-7 to upgrade, but might for a K-5.

QuoteQuote:
Hoya said the aps-c lens system is complete.
Hope not, I for one would love to see a 135mm DA Ltd!
06-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

this one sounds right

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Is this another stupid rumour or do you have actual evidence to back it up?
Given the k-x rainbow of colors I'd go along with a rainbow-pony rumor.

So much of perception depends on when you jumped into Pentax, and from where. Having just blown away my Alpha200 with a K-7 I don't require a redefinition of the perfect camera just yet! Sure hi-iso would be cool, the pattern is better with K-7 than my A200 but noise levels are similar - but hi-iso (and live view, and video) are not the reasons I shift my gear. Still-image versatility, durability and decent FPS is what I sought, and I have it now.

We know well that every forum for every dSLR brand has whiners and jumpers. Each of us has an ideal, and companies get a bit right & a bit wrong with every intro. (Sony must be doing something right but I hadn't seen it in 2 years .) If a single camera met every person's every need, I'd likely stay away from it just because of my inner rebel that abhors crowds and trends!
06-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
At this point, pretty much anything Pentax does to their cameras is playing catch up.
Really? I don't see a package like the K-7 from anyone else.
06-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #29

Catch up or less risk?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This got me thinking... isn't this their business model, starting at the K10D?

Let the CNS guys field new features, and see what works, both technically, and in the market, and what doesn't.

By the time it's decided which features are in/out, the price of the technology has already come down.

So we end up with cameras that have proven, requested features at a lower price point, and Pentax assumes less business risk.

Is that a fair statement?
06-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Really? I don't see a package like the K-7 from anyone else.
Indeed. Some posters really need to do their homework before replying.