Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
would you bet on the new camera being revolutionary or playing catch-up?

Thing is which model(s) do they want to play catch-up with?

from the current lens lineup, i would say a sports dedicated camera doesnt seem to be likely.

I really hope i am wrong.

06-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #2

If it's an in-betwen model, it'll be a lineup refinement.

If it's at the top end half the community will declare it a revolutionary saviour; the other half will call out "Pentax is Doomed!"

Personally I hope Pentax shows some backbone and doesn't do something dumb in terms of MP; my K20D is just fine. Heck, my K10D is just fine. I'd like a faster frame rate, faster max shutter, and higher sync speed, but those are just fundamentals.

I certainly don't see it as a choice between revolutionary -vs- catch up.
06-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
If it's an in-betwen model, it'll be a lineup refinement.

If it's at the top end half the community will declare it a revolutionary saviour; the other half will call out "Pentax is Doomed!"

Personally I hope Pentax shows some backbone and doesn't do something dumb in terms of MP; my K20D is just fine. Heck, my K10D is just fine. I'd like a faster frame rate, faster max shutter, and higher sync speed, but those are just fundamentals.

I certainly don't see it as a choice between revolutionary -vs- catch up.
1/8000th of a second in the k-7 not fast enough for you? i cant imagine what your photographing needing any faster than that - care to enlighten us?

but i agree a faster frame rate would be nice, sync rate too, so would very high iso with as little noise as possible and predictive autofocus - but thats quite a big ask for one update i guess
06-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
If whatever it is is not a dud, my guess is a $1400 full frame MkII killer. Possibly with some enhancements that make it preferable to the mkII for video.

I think that no matter what Pentax brings out, Canon's booth will have something far more revolutionary, so Pentax will instead try to beat Canon's last model on price rather than their nascent one on tech.

06-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
If whatever it is is not a dud, my guess is a $1400 full frame MkII killer. Possibly with some enhancements that make it preferable to the mkII for video.
This will be delivered to your door on a rainbow-colored flying pony.
06-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
1/8000th of a second in the k-7 not fast enough for you? i cant imagine what your photographing needing any faster than that - care to enlighten us?

but i agree a faster frame rate would be nice, sync rate too, so would very high iso with as little noise as possible and predictive autofocus - but thats quite a big ask for one update i guess
...if you have a K7. I'm still back on the K20D/K10D backup path; mostly because the K7 wasn't a revolutionary enough leap for me. And I don't relish the thought of replacing my 7 batteries. So I use an ND4 instead of having 1/8000.

Pentax has backslid on specs before when doing model lineup shuffles, so that's something I'd like to see not happen with the new body.
06-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #7

Both.

Obviously there will be some catch-up (ie modernizing) to keep up with new technology, but I think there will lots of new improvements and ideas too. Seems to me all of Pentax's new releases are revolutionary in some way or another. I dont have any reason to expect this one will be different. That being said, I'm pretty new to Pentax (and photography all-together). Guess we wont really know till its announced.

06-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Not a unicorn?
06-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Is this another stupid rumour or do you have actual evidence to back it up?
06-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Actually, if the next camera keeps the features of the K7 but gets the sensor and low light capability of the Kx, I'm going to upgrade.
06-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I would pay up to $2200 for a Pentax FF MkII killer if here by February, 2011 Of course $1800 is even better

My 31 and 77 Limiteds NEED FF - so do my eyes need a FF viewfinder
06-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote

from the current lens lineup, i would say a sports dedicated camera doesnt seem to be likely.

Is there any camera maker out there who is making a sports dedicated camera?

Catch-up? Pentax never plays catchup games, they just do whatever they like to do. It's CNS who is playing catchups
06-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Actually, if the next camera keeps the features of the K7 but gets the sensor and low light capability of the Kx, I'm going to upgrade.
And a rotating, if not tilting, screen.
06-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Catch-up? Pentax never plays catchup games, they just do whatever they like to do.
That's pretty much my feeling about the whole thing. Pentax seems to largely march to the beat of its own drummer. Sure, they incorporate new technology into their cameras, but they aren't really setting out simply to match the big guys. Sometimes having an attractive camera means trying to match the big guys in certain areas, though.

My thoughts on it are that the next DSLRs released by Pentax will be either a step up from the Kx or K7, and a FF body.

If the next DSLR isn't full frame I wont be particularly interested. My K7 is a hell of a camera, and does all I need an APS-C camera to do. For everything else, I've recently just been resorting to film. If they released a FF camera it would probably cut into my film usage, but wouldn't replace it totally. It would probably replace my K7 though.
06-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote

Do you know any revolutionary DSLR? I don't know...