Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-x firmware upgrade - when?

Any news on K-x firmware upgrade. It's a long time since the last release and being a new camera I would have expected an upgrade by now.

07-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Is anything working wrong with the K-x? Firmware upgrades are mainly bug fixes, not new features...
07-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Would it be possible to add 30fps or higher res video with a firmware update? (maybe the K7's odd 1024, I think full HD is too much to ask from a firmware update)

I can't think of anything that the Kx really needs updating, maybe the way some of the user settings are saved after turning off the camera or allowing the AF-AE-L to lock focus, but with the release of the T2i some more video capability would help it size up to the competition even though it's already an amazing little camera for the price.

Last edited by future_retro; 07-03-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typo
07-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Would it be possible to add 30fps or higher res video with a firmware update?
They will not update it even if it is possible. K-x is close to the end of its production life; any new or improved features would be reserved for upcoming models.

07-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Darn, I hope that I won't be left with two obsolete cameras, but the grass is always greener.

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
They will not update it even if it is possible. K-x is close to the end of its production life; any new or improved features would be reserved for upcoming models.
07-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K-x is close to the end of its production life; any new or improved features would be reserved for upcoming models.
End of production? I would say that for k-7 but not for k-x.

QuoteOriginally posted by zav Quote
Is anything working wrong with the K-x? Firmware upgrades are mainly bug fixes, not new features...
I am sure there are many reason to release an upgrade now - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/79015-k-x-firmware-wishlist.html

Yusuf

Last edited by yusuf; 07-03-2010 at 02:05 AM.
07-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
End of production? I would say that for k-7 but not for k-x.
K-x replaced K-m in Sep 2009, which is exactly one year after the launch of K-m. So if Pentax follows this production cycle, K-x replacement or updated version could appear in Photokina this year, and that's only 2 months away.

07-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Darn, I hope that I won't be left with two obsolete cameras, but the grass is always greener.
Lets petition Pentax not to make any more cameras, that way we will always have the current model
07-04-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K-x replaced K-m in Sep 2009, which is exactly one year after the launch of K-m. So if Pentax follows this production cycle, K-x replacement or updated version could appear in Photokina this year, and that's only 2 months away.
Pentax needed something to replace k-m which sells - and here is k-x which is really is a big success for Pentax. Hence, IMO this comparison does not hold true and probably it will be a long before k-x replacement arrives. I would not expect k-x replacement in Photokina this year, there is no business reason for Pentax to do so.

However, same is not true for k-7. With k-x success overshadowing k-7, the replacement for k-7 likely to be very soon.

Yusuf

Last edited by yusuf; 07-04-2010 at 07:19 AM.
07-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
...and here is k-x which is really is a big success for Pentax. Hence, IMO this comparison does not hold true and probably it will be a long before k-x replacement arrives. I would not expect k-x replacement in Photokina this year, there is no business reason for Pentax to do so.
No business reason? Think again.
K-x did sell well, but as with most DSLR, the sales can drop rapidly within months, especially with anticipated onslaught of new cameras to be announced before Photokina.

K-x was in the top 10 chart in Japan just a month or two ago. As of last week, the top selling K-x is at #22 at Japanese sales chart. They need a new camera just to maintain its market share, and more importantly, profit margin. As the price of K-x continues to drop, the profit margin would be paper thin.
07-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The latest K-x firmware version I am aware of is: v1.01.00.10.
Pentax appear to have slipped a few 'silent' minor updates in since 1.01 was released, so it is always worth getting the latest.

Download the firmware from here:
Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
07-07-2010, 03:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The latest K-x firmware version I am aware of is: v1.01.00.10.
Pentax appear to have slipped a few 'silent' minor updates in since 1.01 was released, so it is always worth getting the latest.

Download the firmware from here:
Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
Wow! so new version is out. What are the changes? I can see the same old date on download page so wondering, not even revision history. If it is indeed a new version than it's very disappointing job on Pentax part to keep mum on new updates

Can someone share the info on new version?
07-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This version is quite old, actually, you must have missed it... Two or three months old...
Look here...
07-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
JHD
Veteran Member

Silent firmware updates... what's up with that? I'd be very hesitant to update a camera with some mysterious firmware that nobody seems knows what it does.
07-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Silent firmware updates... what's up with that? I'd be very hesitant to update a camera with some mysterious firmware that nobody seems knows what it does.
Well, as always, if the manufacturer felt it important and safe enough to deploy it worldwide, and at the same time shameful enough to not mention it, then I want it!!!
Don't forget that they are made available on the Pentax corporate site, not on an obscure 3rd party firmwares site.

Previous silent firmwares, for example, addressed the green line problem seen on the K7...
Another one must have addressed the striped effect of the K20, as it vanished from one day to the next...
The last (official, this one!) K10 firmware allegedly changed the focus behavior (not it's speed, mind).

Even "official" firmwares have silent updates in them.