Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just did some voting on PentaxGallery. I don't envy the judges. Some images clearly don't belong on the site but others are great.

I am trying when looking at these images not to think in my usual way and just vote for things that appeal to my aesthetic, but to look through the other photographer's eyes a bit. Its actually causing me to re evaluate my own photography somewhat.

08-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
Has everyone seen the new gallery? Wonder how to get authorization to send in pictures. I sent an email as instructed but got no response. Anyone been able to get pictures posted?
I've been waiting a couple of weeks (sent in a request when it first was announced), but have yet to receive a response. Was hoping I could get at least a few rejected *grin*

!c
08-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterdrone Quote
I've been waiting a couple of weeks (sent in a request when it first was announced), but have yet to receive a response. Was hoping I could get at least a few rejected *grin*

!c
I got a reply after two days, so you should probably ask them again.

Oh, and I got one approved
PENTAX Photo Gallery
08-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Kjetil! I remember taking about a split second to vote YES on that shot... Very nice!

08-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
Thanks!

After posting this I got my email with the access.....what I didn't realize is that I won't have much to post for a while. I can't really afford Pentax glass in the focal length I use the most! I didn't realize that only Pentax glass was allowed....oh well....
Hey Paul, actually you can choose "unknown" for the lens if it isn't a pentax lens - one of mine was a tamron 300mm
08-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Actually...

From the Official Rules:

"Photographs submitted to the Gallery must be shot by a PENTAX SLR, with a PENTAX lens"

Seems pretty clear.
08-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
From the Official Rules:

"Photographs submitted to the Gallery must be shot by a PENTAX SLR, with a PENTAX lens"

Seems pretty clear.
ooops

08-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
From the Official Rules:

Seems pretty clear.
That was the way I read it...and being that I work with lawyers, I looked for ways around it...but it was pretty clear. As much as I am sad that I have little Pentax glass, I think it's an appropriate rule. To put in photos w/o Pentax lenses after reading the rules cheapens the gallery for me anyway...perhaps others feel differently.

Last edited by PaulAndAPentax; 08-19-2007 at 03:58 PM.
08-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I didn't mean to cheapen anything, I thought that was what "unknown" was for. I guess I was misinformed and tried to relay bad information. I guess I'll delete that one now that I know. It was not my intent to ignore the rules of the gallery. I was just trying to be helpful-sorry
08-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you didn't know, you didn't know. I only meant to say that "since I know" it would be wrong for me to try and slip something in....others, though, might feel differently. I didn't mean to offend...I have some beautiful shots of shore birds taken with a Bigma but I just figured rules are rules. Be in law enforcement for the last 14 years probably helps my attitude some. I am sure there are many that will submit what they want knowingly and without a second thought...I just realized that Pentax probably wants to show off their line...only...

This is one I would love to submit....

Last edited by PaulAndAPentax; 08-19-2007 at 06:32 PM.
08-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

There was talk early on in the "beta" stage to include other brands of lenses but I imagine in the end they decided it just had to be Pentax all the way. I think the "unknown" entry was really for all of us old guys who submitted shots taken years ago that we can't even remember which direction the camera was pointed, much less what lens we used.

I'm sure there are many current images there that were taken with non-Pentax glass but now that it's live I would recommend following the rule. Save the images shot with non-Pentax glass for here or other online galleries.

Paul.... That is one freaky lookin bird! Don't think I'd want to try to stare him down. LOL Nice shot...
08-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Mike. It's a 5 week old (or so) tri-colored heron. We have a very accessible rookery here in the Jacksonville area...lots of good birding opportunities. This one needs a hair cut!
08-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

About non Pentax lenses: I wrote a mail to photogallery at pentax-com and here's the reply I got

We will be changing the rules a bit and allowing other lenses. Soon there will be a drop down menu listing “Sigma” as an option. For now simply list as “unknown”.

Thanks,

John Doe
Marketing Project Coordinator
Pentax Imaging

The way I see it no implementation of third party lenses doesn't mean they are not allowed.
08-21-2007, 01:16 AM   #29
Veteran Member

That sounds great.

At least pentax staff answers questions promptly and fast
08-21-2007, 04:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Uh...

"John Doe"?

Might as well be Peter Pentax.