Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"It's actually rather stylish..."

So says the Pentax Optio I-10 write-up in the Financial Times week-end magazine "How to spent it" (July 3 2010, pp 35).

It goes on... "If you did not know it was a repo of a bad old idea, you might almost think it's a good new one, so pleasant does it feel in the hand and so competently does it do all the modern digi-camera things."

Hmmmmm... Wonder how many FT readers are asking themselves... "Pentax...haven't thought about them in a while? What are they are up to, now...?" Is this the start of Pentax's marketing drum-roll leading up to the Fall sales season?

Could be the lead-in to a really a good year. I'll be watching

Cheers,

07-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Perhaps you're right about the marketing. But I personally have to wonder about starting with the I-10. I want to like the camera. It certainly looks cool. But there's nothing to distinguish it, in a technical sense, from any other mainstream compact digicam. In fact, it doesn't even offer the best image quality among that group. Too bad. IMHO, the I-10 represents a missed opportunity. But it really isn't made for people like me, is it? So, again, maybe you're right about the marketing angle.
07-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Perhaps you're right about the marketing. But I personally have to wonder about starting with the I-10. I want to like the camera. It certainly looks cool. But there's nothing to distinguish it, in a technical sense, from any other mainstream compact digicam. In fact, it doesn't even offer the best image quality among that group. Too bad. IMHO, the I-10 represents a missed opportunity. But it really isn't made for people like me, is it? So, again, maybe you're right about the marketing angle.
IMO the I-10 is a test camera. You wouldn't want to test if it will sell with a high specced camera.
07-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know why so many of the opinion pundits think that the 110 was a failure. The format was dominant for a long time.

QuoteQuote:
"If you did not know it was a repo of a bad old idea, you might almost think it's a good new one, so pleasant does it feel in the hand and so competently does it do all the modern digi-camera things."
I wonder if this person was around during the 110 hey-day.

07-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
"If you did not know it was a repo of a bad old idea, you might almost think it's a good new one, so pleasant does it feel in the hand and so competently does it do all the modern digi-camera things."
Nice back-handed compliment!