Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Isn't the write-up on Tokina at Wikipedia pretty clear about the relationship between the companies?

Tokina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wiki is at least partialy wrong: the 16.5-135 has been known to be a Pentax design.

08-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #197
Veteran Member

i never told that there is only one owner.i told its like pentax and tokina are daughters of hoya.its a complete different type of partnership than here in europe.but i think everybody is knowing what i mean.when not,i can't explain it better.sorry iam out of that discussion.
08-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone know with 100% certainty which lenses are designed by Pentax, which lenses are Tokina designs, and which ones are from a joint effort?

I know there is a of speculation, but which ones are documented and can be proven with supporting evidence?
08-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #199
Pentaxian

A search in the frum should provide you with answers.
Patents have been found.

Unless mistaken, 8-16 and 12-24 are Tokinas, rest is Pentax (including that strange 16.5-135 Tokina zoom).

08-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #200
emr

Perhaps Andy means that they belong to the same Keiretsu?

Hoya Corporation belongs to the Sanwa Keiretsu. The bank belonging to that Keiretsu is Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ. That very same bank is one of the banks of Tokina Co.Ltd., so I suppose it belongs to the same Keiretsu as well. And as we all know, Pentax Imaging is a division of Hoya Corporation.

QuoteQuote:
A keiretsu (系列?, lit. system, series, grouping of enterprises, order of succession) is a set of companies with interlocking business relationships and shareholdings. It is a type of business group.
08-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #201
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Perhaps Andy means that they belong to the same Keiretsu?

Hoya Corporation belongs to the Sanwa Keiretsu. The bank belonging to that Keiretsu is Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ. That very same bank is one of the banks of Tokina Co.Ltd., so I suppose it belongs to the same Keiretsu as well. And as we all know, Pentax Imaging is a division of Hoya Corporation.
I think that the Keiretsu interface between Pentax and Tokina is an accurate description.

The Tokina entry in Wikipedia emphasizes separate engineering and design groups. I would add that all the corporate literature I have found indicates they are both owned and managed completely independent of each other.

Definitively, they are NOT part of the same corporate ownership or management group.
08-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #202
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
From the looks of their website and the description on the "About Us" and "Our Parent Company" pages, it looks like THK is just a marketing and distribution JV between Tonika and Hoya; the about us page says that Tonika bought Kenko in 1993.

THK Photo Products, Inc.
08-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #203
Pentaxian

THK reprised

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
From the looks of their website and the description on the "About Us" and "Our Parent Company" pages, it looks like THK is just a marketing and distribution JV between Tonika and Hoya; the about us page says that Tonika bought Kenko in 1993.

THK Photo Products, Inc.
Please take another look: that reference suggests that the merge (sic) was between Kenko USA (a US-market distribution company) and whatever THK (a US-market distribution company) was called before the merger. Of US-based distribution companies.

That particular language does not indicate that Tokina Co. of Japan bought Kenko Co. of Japan.

This has been hashed to death elsewhere but I wanted to add some clarity to the above post.

08-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
The answer would appear to be relatively simple: a Pentax 135 f 1.8 would cost more because it would be autofocus while the Zeiss is manual focus, i.e., no motors or autofocus algorithms to puzzle over, just nice, simple craftsmanship. In addition, the Zeiss lens has an economy of scale advantage, since it is made in all of the popular mounts and therefore has a much larger customer base.
The Sony Zeiss is an AF lens. Zeiss does not make a MF 135mm f/1.8. I'm not sure what lens you are thinking of.

Pentax makes a bunch of odd focal length primes that is sells in small quantities. Not a lot of economy of scale with the 31mm Limited or the 77mm Limited.

Last edited by Winder; 08-03-2010 at 06:13 PM.
08-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
...Pentax makes a bunch of odd focal length primes that is sells in small quantities. Not a lot of economy of scale with the 31mm Limited or the 77mm Limited.
Of course, small quantities, if not they could not be limited , these lenses are meant to be produced/released/sold in small quantities, and the odd focal length is part of the 'optimised' designů
Never the less, I do like them.
08-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #206
Forum Member

Right then, lets get this straight...

Hoya owns Pentax, which owns Tokina, which owns Kenko, which owns Tamron, which owns Sony, which owns General Electric, which owns Little Timmy's lemonade stand. Timmy used last Saturday's earnings ($3.10) to buy a controlling interest in Hoya corp.

Now he is his own Grandpa...

08-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #207
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Braddokovik Quote

Hoya owns Pentax, which owns Tokina, which owns Kenko, which owns Tamron, which owns Sony, which owns General Electric, which owns Little Timmy's lemonade stand. Timmy used last Saturday's earnings ($3.10) to buy a controlling interest in Hoya corp.

Now he is his own Grandpa...

lol!..
08-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Braddokovik Quote

which owns Little Timmy's lemonade stand.
Finaly, this is what i have been waiting for!!!!

I didnt dare to ask about it, but its the most important thing for me to know so i can go on taking pictures!

08-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #209

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
thats true....best will be a new converter......hope....hope....
+1 for zackspeed

The DA* SDM lenses with large apertures 2.8 and 4 are perfect for a converter.

Wait and see
08-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #210
Forum Member

A good teleconverter has been a clear gap in a lens lineup including professional grade long primes... Has to be WR ...

Also, a cheap fast prime! Canon, Nikon, even Sony have them! Meanwhile I have to go around ebay begging for a used F 50 1.7 for twice the price?!