Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #211
Forum Member

I likes it when we talkses about lenses on the lenses forum

08-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #212
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Braddokovik Quote
A good teleconverter has been a clear gap in a lens lineup including professional grade long primes... Has to be WR ...

Also, a cheap fast prime! Canon, Nikon, even Sony have them! Meanwhile I have to go around ebay begging for a used F 50 1.7 for twice the price?!
I have a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 on pre-order maybe Sigma will introduce a 135mm f/2.

From 15mm-77mm Pentax has it covered in spades, but from 77mm on up it is pretty spotty.
08-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #213
Forum Member

What about a cheap (sub $150) 50mm fast prime? By fast I mean 1.8 +
08-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
... From 15mm-77mm Pentax has it covered in spades, but from 77mm on up it is pretty spotty.
I agree with you about "from 77mm on up", or at least from 77mm to 200mm, and then above 300mm. But Pentax don't have it covered below that. Imho, there is a glaring hole between 21mm and 35mm which is the territory of the old "normal" length on 35mm before the crop factor. The only lens in this segment is the FA 31mm which is a) vastly expensive, and b) of the FA generation so it lacks some features of the DA line. Pentax could do with a more modern lens, either a limited or a DA*, of 24-28mm and at a price compared to the regular limiteds. It's possible that the DA 21mm could do with replacement too. While it is a very nice lens in some regards, it is relatively slow and has barrel distortion bad enough to make photographing buildings problematic (I have one).

08-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
i never told that there is only one owner.i told its like pentax and tokina are daughters of hoya.its a complete different type of partnership than here in europe.
Tokina is daughter to Kenko.
Hoya and Kenko has a long term relationship, Kenko manufacturers and sells the Hoya filters (plus rebrands cheaper versions of them under their own label). But Hoya and Kenko is not the same company, they have business deals going on and that is all.

As for who has developed who..
In the Pentax mount, the DA 12-24 f/4 is developed by Tokina, all others are by Pentax.
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is by Tokina.
The Tokina 16-35 f/2.8 - I don't know. I believe it is developed by Tokina.
08-05-2010, 04:32 AM   #216
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tokina 16.5-135 is patented by Pentax (strangely).
08-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I agree with you about "from 77mm on up", or at least from 77mm to 200mm, and then above 300mm. But Pentax don't have it covered below that. Imho, there is a glaring hole between 21mm and 35mm which is the territory of the old "normal" length on 35mm before the crop factor. The only lens in this segment is the FA 31mm which is a) vastly expensive, and b) of the FA generation so it lacks some features of the DA line. Pentax could do with a more modern lens, either a limited or a DA*, of 24-28mm and at a price compared to the regular limiteds. It's possible that the DA 21mm could do with replacement too. While it is a very nice lens in some regards, it is relatively slow and has barrel distortion bad enough to make photographing buildings problematic (I have one).
You are forgetting the DFA100/2.8 macro. That qualifies as longer than 77mm doesn't it? Esp the latest incarnation, which even has limited like finishing with WR.

Personally I have taken to using my K135/2.5 again. I love the fact that the K-7 correctly meters with it (unlike the K10D/K20D that had lost that ability compared to the istD generation).

The gap between 21 and 35 is large indeed. For me it's 21 to 31, which is OK for me. However, a nice 28mm would be a great addition.

I like the DA21. It may sacrifice too much to being a pancake, but that's part of its appeal. Bigger would make it faster and there would be less need for a lens correction (in-camera, in Pentax software or in LR3), but I don't see Pentax moving that way. Better concentrate on another range.

Wider than 15mm could be welcome, though there is the DA14/2.8. But it may be hard to keep things within a practical size at these focal lenghts (I find the DA14 too large as it is).

But in all honesty the primes (including the FA limited generation) cover 99% of my needs.

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 08-05-2010 at 05:33 AM.
08-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #218
Forum Member

There certainly are a lot of good compact primes. I just would like to see more with f numbers below 2.

The 40mm 2.8 is a nice lens by all accounts, but its just a 2.8 at the end of the day.

I'd love to see a 30mm 1.4 or something 'fast standard APS-C prime'.

I would also love to see something more entry level, perhaps a 1.8 35mm like Sony has just released. It just seems a shame that we have left the affordable fast prime days behind in Pentax land.

I mean I like my 16-50mm DA*, but a fixed focal 2.8 at any of its lengths would be far smaller and lighter. Even 1.4-1.8 at most of those focal lengths would be far smaller!

08-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #219
Veteran Member

There will be a new kit lens. It will have a wider zoom range than the current DA 18-55mm.
08-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I agree, I shoot longer glass and don't pas as much attention to the wider selection. I agree on the older Limiteds needing to be updated, but every time I mention it the fanboys go crazy and insist the Pentax lenses are perfect and they are the best ever made.

The 100mm D-FA Macro as mentioned is an excellent lens. I have been tempted to buy it on several occasions. My issue with it has to do with the slow AF (relative to modern SDM or HSM) and for a 100mm it is pretty slow at f/2.8. I want to see a non-macro 100-150mm that is f/2 or faster. When shooting an indoor event a 135mm (200mm equiv.) f/2 allows you to stay back and grab your shots without intruding on the people.

Pentax seems to be trying to make their glass as small and as light as possible, and I would prefer to see a line of glass that was designed for speed and sharpness at max aperture.
08-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #221
Forum Member

I 2nd that Winder... Pancake lenses are fun, but I've got a K20D. Why would I need a tiny lens?

If I was really after a compact system I'd go EVIL...
08-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #222
Veteran Member

I enjoy compact and light lenses and believe that to be one of the main draws of Pentax. It would be ridiculous for them to sacrifice this significant advantage of APS-C. That's not to say that size should be pursued at all costs, but I am glad it is a priority.

I agree on the older Limiteds needing to be updated, but every time I mention it the fanboys go crazy and insist the Pentax lenses are perfect and they are the best ever made.
I guess Mike Johnston, Popular Photography, The Luminous Landscape, Amateur Photographer and all the rest who hold the FA Limiteds in highest regard are fanboys, huh? Care to reference any of these threads where people said Pentax lenses were "perfect"?
08-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #223
Veteran Member

I have a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 on pre-order maybe Sigma will introduce a 135mm f/2.

From 15mm-77mm Pentax has it covered in spades, but from 77mm on up it is pretty spotty.
there is a huge possibility that this will be released after photokina.
08-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #224
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
there is a huge possibility that this will be released after photokina.
Adorama says it was scheduled to ship in July. I just keep waiting..........
08-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #225
Veteran Member

I want to see a non-macro 100-150mm that is f/2 or faster. When shooting an indoor event a 135mm (200mm equiv.) f/2 allows you to stay back and grab your shots without intruding on the people.
I agree. I would love to see a 135mm f/1.8 more than any other lens they could add.