Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
new body/lens development?

Who or what decides that a new body/lens is due and if then, whose opinions count in the development?

07-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Who or what decides that a new body/lens is due and if then, whose opinions count in the development?
Well see in the beginning god created the heaven and the earth and the earth was without form.....to cut a long story short, the head honcho's at Pentax make the final decision.
07-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Well see in the beginning god created the heaven and the earth and the earth was without form.....to cut a long story short, the head honcho's at Pentax make the final decision.
Seems like the said honcho has spent enough time saying his creations are good. Evening has come, the morning has followed...let's see some new product already.
07-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
Seems like the said honcho has spent enough time saying his creations are good. Evening has come, the morning has followed...let's see some new product already.
You might have a little more info than most, eh? Well I'm sure it's nothing you could tell us though...

07-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
You might have a little more info than most, eh? Well I'm sure it's nothing you could tell us though...
Well, I do have some (a tiny bit) more information than most... But since I have made a promise to my source (a Pentax insider), I can't say anything.

Since Hoya took over Pentax, they have closed the leak faucet tighter, so leaks have become very rare. But this is part of a very effective marketing approach, which is to let only a very few "leaks" come out here and there, and only in the days before the release of a new product. This avoids creating expectations that are beyond the product's real capabilities and that could only disappoint the customers, and this also reduces the risk of giving the competition a chance to copy the most interesting feature of a product before it's actually released!

However, it's been awfully quiet in the Pentax APS-C product lineup since the release of the DFA 100 Macro WR.

It's about time Hoya comes up with some fresh blood! I am thirsty for new DA* and WR lenses.
07-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
However, it's been awfully quiet in the Pentax APS-C product lineup since the release of the DFA 100 Macro WR.
What are you suggesting here?
07-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
They're making something sweet to mount the DA*55 1,4 on for the next body sneak peaks pictures?????

I hope......
07-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #8

"Dites moi pas que c'est pas vrai!?!" ;)

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
Must I believe what I think to understand!?!?
Anyway, sounds good enough to me. We will discuss freely about that within a few weeks.

By the way, new lenses on development, there is for sure. And probably many, since they did not released any new design for more than 2 years!

07-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
And probably many, since they did not released any new design for more than 2 years!
Plus the roadmap has gotten rather stale.... Hopefully that means surprise and excitement is ahead...
07-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Plus the roadmap has gotten rather stale.... Hopefully that means surprise and excitement is ahead...
This is exactly why roadmap was never updated:
* no excitment since products are known to come
* if you don't execute as in roadmap (exactly what Pentax did (or didn't if you prefer), you get backfired (for understandable reasons).

The problem is for consumers: how confident can they be not knowing the future?
I know Canikon do neither have a roadmap but for a small player it could have some sense.
07-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Roadmaps for small players

are very common in many industries, particularly for businesses that have a small market share and that are growing or taking a new direction.

It's a credibility thing: "We don't have everything you need now but you can be confident that it will be available when you need it."

We took that line at AT&T, as well, but declined to share roadmaps with any but our very largest customers, e.g., global financial organizations. Our competitors were much more aggressive with roadmaps as they were playing catch-up. (You can imagine that this was quite some time ago.)

If Hoya can make a commitment, it would be best if they issued a roadmap. That assumes, of course, that the roadmap is impressive. Otherwise ....
07-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sure; they will announce new versions with timeframes et all but you wouldn't want to list the features of future versions would you?
07-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Just that it's been very boring in the APS-C segment (as opposed to the MF segment, lol), so I expect some new APS-C products to be announced at the 2010 Photokina.

However I doubt there will be a FF announcement of any sort. If a FF camera is in the works, Hoya won't leak anything about it until it's almost ready to launch.
07-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
Must I believe what I think to understand!?!?
Anyway, sounds good enough to me. We will discuss freely about that within a few weeks.

By the way, new lenses on development, there is for sure. And probably many, since they did not released any new design for more than 2 years!
If you understand that I think there will be a lot of APS-C Pentax products announcements at the Photokina, then yes!

I'm sure new lenses are in development. But I'm just very tired of waiting for a WA or DA* ultra wide angle lens.

Hopefully a new DA* or WR 12mm prime or zoom lens (F/2.8, please!) will be announced this fall.

If not...
07-14-2010, 04:16 AM   #15

I'd like prime aps-c 10mm diagonal fisheye and a circular one.

soon going to buy sigma 10mm anyway though.

I mean, what's the point in fisheye zoom? if i wanted 17mm fisheye I'd just pick rectilinear wide angle lens instead ... the only point in fisheyes is the ability to shoot panoramas in a few shots, and for panoramas I need equal sharpness all over the frame and as little as possible CA along with that, which 10-17 apparently (according to reviews/tests) ultimately fails to deliver ...