Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fzwo Quote
Great idea! Absolutely love it!

I'd pay for better AF, better high-ISO (though they very probably can't do anything about the RAW, so - no), manual video control.
They could just cook the RAW file more.

What??? Just because Sony is the only one to admit to cooking their RAW files doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't also do it.

07-15-2010, 03:34 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I definitely had the same thoughts as some above. FIRMWARE UPGRADES (if possible)
I like my Pentax K-x, but really the autofocus accuracy/speed worries me
07-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #18
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
...the autofocus accuracy/speed worries me
How so, is it slowing down?
07-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I think there is value in a system where the bodies are reused every year, but the camera is tweaked for different types of shooting based on different internal hardware. The idea is that the first year cameras will be less cost than the second year cameras, as the second year cameras have more expensive hardware components.

Assuming Pentax stays in just the APS-C market:
  • Year one, new body design or sensor updates.
    • Second quarter, release entry level camera without WR.
    • Third quarter, release upper level camera with high resolution sensor.
  • Year two, continuing body design
    • Second quarter, release entry level camera with WR and with an optional grip. Stop making entry level camera without WR
    • Third quarter, release upper level camera with a lower resolution sensor with increased high ISO performance. Maybe this camera has a faster shutter for increased FPS, say 8 FPS where the first year camera does 5 FPS. Stop making camera with high resolution sensor.
    Return to year one
Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-15-2010 at 03:12 PM.
07-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Frequent and incremental lens upgrades will quickly devalue one's existing lens line-up, will cost the manufacturer more due to redesign, change of production assembly, stock keeping and inventory, marketing and advertising and distribution. All this will invariably add to the final selling price.

Frequent and incremental camera body upgrades (ala Canon) is worse as it means consumers will find their cameras quickly becoming obsolete quicker and will affect the possible resale value of their cameras.
07-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Frequent and incremental camera body upgrades (ala Canon) is worse as it means consumers will find their cameras quickly becoming obsolete quicker and will affect the possible resale value of their cameras.
creampuff, i think that's one reason in support of the modular idea. If one knew that old K10D body chasis could be upgraded to a newer sensor, the used body prices would be a lot more stable, and the demand higher. I'd buy a K7 now if i knew that it was going to be upgradeable with regards to the sensor.

Apparently 2 mfr from that article are looking into it, Nikon and Oly.
07-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
With all the chomping at the bit that goes on around here, how many people would be happier if Pentax released new versions of their cameras more frequently, even if it meant smaller incremental improvements rather than larger leaps inn all features?
Interesting question.

I would be happy if Pentax did SOMETHING to generate a little more buzz, no, a lot more buzz. Yes, this is marketing. But that's what makes the business world go round. I think the situation right now is that there is virtually nobody selling a bad DSLR, or to put it differently, if you are a brand new buyer in the marketplace (no legacy lenses, no existing prejudices regarding brands) and assuming you have the freedom to choose anything at all (i.e. your boss doesn't require you to buy Canon), then you really have to look VERY hard to find a compelling reason to prefer one brand or model rather than the other. I'm not saying that there aren't distinctions, I'm just saying that for every touted advantage of Nikon, Canon or Pentax or Sony or whoever has an offsetting advantage. So what sells cameras? Buzz, especially if the buzz has something solid underpinning it.

I find myself thinking about Panasonic, Olympus, and Sigma a lot more than Pentax—because Panasonic, Olympus and Sigma are in the news, generating buzz. Releasing the K-x in chartreuse doesn't really get people talking.

Frankly, I'd be happy if they put out a new body every 18-24 months. But they need to do SOMETHING else newsworthy every year, or better, every six months. A brand new flash system would be my first wish.

If I were king at Pentax, the next camera would look something like this:
  1. Form factor similar to K-7
  2. Sold with a weather-sealed 28 or 31mm f/2.8 or better prime lens, preferably a new pancake
  3. even more streamlined ergonomics
  4. built-in flash with the ability to be bounced

The tiltable flash might sound crazy. But at some point, a tiltable LED must have sounded crazy too.

You HAVE to get noticed....

Will
07-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #23
Forum Member

i don`t think so. my k200d is still good for me. IMHO i think, that pentax should have much more models. and they should make lenses with aperture ring cause lot of people (me also) is still using old film cameras, just take a look at ebay.

07-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I think that cameras will be more modular in the future. See Thom Hogans blog about upcoming Nikon cameras, which may mean there won't be a new body every year to 18 months but modules. His logic really makes sense. It's kind of silly to keep buying a camera body every 18 months.

If you are interested in reading it, it's here under the part about Nikon's most likely upcoming mirrorless camera:

2010 Nikon News and Comments by Thom Hogan
This.

The paradigm in the film era was bodies could/would/should last essentially forever, while the media could and was upgraded constantly. This idea of the camera body as a sealed box, that has to be upgraded in it's entirety whenever you want to upgrade a component (while good for camera companies) is asinine. Especially when most photographers look down there nose at anyone using something with the lens wielded on; but we tend to accept that the finder, sensor, CPU, LCD, and grip are magically integral.

Ricoh almost got it right with the GXR.
07-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Other than perception, what makes a functional camera in a readily available mount "obsolete"?
07-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #26

One replacement/refresh every 18 to 24 months is quite enough, IMHO.

I would've feel like I've been ripped off if a replacement of the K-7 with improved specs and IQ would've been released this spring!

What I would like to see now is new versions of existing lenses, with WR and improved optics. Maybe we could then get a new and improved DA*16-50mm F/2.8 AL ED (IF) SDM II? Or a weather sealed version of the excellent DA 12-24mm F/4?

Where's the hell is the Pentax WR (or DA*) ultrawide?

And also, brand new lenses to fill a few gaps:

DA 11-16mm F/2.8
DA 30mm F/1.4 or F/2
DA 85mm F/1.4 or F/2
DA 135mm F/2 or F/2.8
DA 400mm F/4

And make these either WR or DA*, please!
07-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #27

I think an 18 month release cycle for consumer DSLRs is good enough, 24 months for a pro model would be ok also.

I would like to see changes in the lens line up also.

FA 10-24mm F2.8 WR
FA 24-70mm F2.8 WR
FA 70-200mm F2.8 WR
FA 200-400mm F2.8 WR
FA 300mm f4 WR
FA 400mm f4 WR
FA 500mm f4 WR

All with a newer SDM that actually works properly and is fast.

While they are at it Pentax could make a camera to fit these lenses

I know, keep dreaming.
07-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Other than perception, what makes a functional camera in a readily available mount "obsolete"?
Simply put when the manufacturer rolls out a newer model and the model is officially discontinued. The product life cycle of digital cameras is definitely much shorter than cameras of old because of continual technical improvements, the addition of newer features and to meet with the competition.

Cameras can and often do continue to function flawlessly beyond the model's production life. However don't automatically expect that the manufacturer to continue to provide support and parts beyond a certain time frame. Also with continuous new models being rolled out it will hit any residual resale value. Much like the computing world, your old computer might still work... but if it's faulty, it is better to get a new one because your old one's already long obsolete.
07-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
[*]built-in flash with the ability to be bounced

The tiltable flash might sound crazy. But at some point, a tiltable LED must have sounded crazy too.

Will
It's not as crazy as it sounds. A friend had an Olympus EP-1 and the flash pops up in a way that allows you to bounce it by holding it with your finger.
07-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
It's not as crazy as it sounds. A friend had an Olympus EP-1 and the flash pops up in a way that allows you to bounce it by holding it with your finger.
Well, there you go! Just another one of my strokes of genius that is validated by the fact that some other genius had it before I did. Damn, I'm good.

I don't expect any royalties from Pentax but if they'd like to send me a complimentary copy of the next camera, I wouldn't send it back. A copy of the 31 and/or 77 prime(s) would be a nice bon-bon, too.

Will