Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To Thine Own Niche Be True

In my not so humble opinion, LBA has proven my latest obsession for upgrading my aging istDS. This company, for better or worse, found its niche with its multitude of interchangeable lenses, and that distinguishes it from te rest of the pack. Just this time, I shall not presume to tell someone how to run their business.
MrMotivations

07-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Much like the computing world, your old computer might still work... but if it's faulty, it is better to get a new one because your old one's already long obsolete.
The camera will be obsolete in the same time frame whether there is a new Pentax camera or not to replace it. What makes a camera obsolete is advancement in tech and that advancement isn't propriety to Pentax.

The resale value drops while the camera is in production. Least you forget, the k-7 was around US $1300 when introduced and is now $740 new. I think it is pretty bad for Pentax's top of the line to hang on the vine so long that it loses almost half its retail value. Wouldn't it be better if the perception was that a new top of the line body was going to cost $1300 at any time, than for the now norm of, wait for a year and pick it up for half the amount? I think the resale value would actually go up with people knowing that a new body was always going to be $1300 at retail.

Thank you
Russell
07-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Russell,

Tech improvements do cause product obsolescence, that's why competing camera companies strive to roll out new and improved gear. However it is debatable (like in the case of Canon) that a new model shows demonstrably improved features and performance over the preceding model. No doubt Canon produces fine cameras but if I was to be a Canon user, I would be pretty unhappy that the model I just bought would get superceded in barely 18 months. It's like Canon rolls out so many models in order to cover all bases, not actually knowing which particular model is going to be a hit. Incremental upgrades that don't really add greater performance or significant features is something I hope Pentax never indulges in as I think it will seriously fragment the user base. Most penny pinching Pentaxians will probably never be able to follow the Canon user buying cycle.

You're also making the assumption that the next Pentax flagship model is always going to hover at US$1300. Every new Pentax camera is more expensive than the previous model at launch.