Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #181
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
K-7 will be available,same with K-x.
But new Sensor in Topmodel.
No more Samsungsensor.New Line has one actually and a complete new Sensor.
Biggest point is speed,much more speed than before.
In every range.For a good price i think.
The rest is to hard to translate for me.Japanese info.
Thats all from me till Photokina.
Best regards
Zack,

Does "speed" include AFC/tracking/low light improvements?

regards,

jordan

Last edited by opiedog; 07-27-2010 at 01:43 PM.
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #182
Veteran Member

mean still available with news at same time and will not end at photokina.
You mean there will be no replacement models for K-7 and K-x at Photokina?
07-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #183
Pentaxian

On a recent 6-week trip to Europe, I observed that most DSLR shooters were wearing either under $1000 (Rebel/Dx000 with kit/cheap lenses) or over $3000 (5DII/D700 with pro/expensive lenses) on their necks. I think this is due to the user base being partitioned into the casual day shooters who want any kind of DSLR to improve their photos without breaking the bank and the rich amateurs who buy high end because they can.

Most of the folks who stick with cheaper DSLRs will probably remain happy with APS-C. The mid-level APS-C shooters are probably affluent enough to not mind migrating to FF whenever they see fit, or are skilled and experienced enough to get good results out of a cheaper APS-C DSLR if the mid-range ever gets neglected.

I sort of fall into the last category. I have never bought a mid-range Pentax DSLR new; I paid $1200 for a DS in 2005 and $700 for a K100D in 2006 (my newest DSLR). I have a mix of new/used DA/FA lenses. The only new DSLR I would pay for would be FF, or else I will remain happy with my old APS-C cameras as long as I can buy them new or used.
07-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #184
Veteran Member

I know we dont speak his name, but based on what Ive learnt today there is possibly elements of truth to Simons Myth.....

I'm definitely buying the k5 the improvements in my opinion are definately worth the upgrade over the k7 it's got the potential to be an excellent alternative to canikon if my sources are spot on.

07-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #185
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Compared to the K-20, there was more emphasis on video with the K-7. What, you say the K-20 did not have HD video? My point, exactly.

Look, for many users the K-7 is a great camera. For someone interested in high detail, high dynamic range landscapes, it does not provide significant improvement over its predecessors. HDR is not useful in all situations. A high native dynamic range sensor is.
Well, of course I just disagree with the assertion that a lot of focus went into video. Any videographer knows after a few minutes with the camera that this wasn't the case. Still, K-7 video is useful if you're willing to work around the kinks.

FWIW, I agree with your second paragraph. I would never think of doing HDR in-camera; much less if it can't be done hand-held. I for one am in the "faster AF-C, better low-light" boat. At least they gave us (much) improved flash exposures, a little better AF-S, much quieter shutter action and more FPS (as long as you don't use AF).

For the next cam I'd want good movies, great AF, an even bigger finder (with higher eyepoint!), better low-light/high ISO RAWs (and JPEGs for the reviewers), better DR in the lights, swiveling screen and better battery management.

I think this is a false friend. In german, "aktuell" means "current, new, up to date", which I think is what he means. Which, of course, is kind of a given on a new camera anyway.
07-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
I'm definitely buying the k5 the improvements in my opinion are definately worth the upgrade over the k7
And what are the improvements?
07-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #187
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-7 will be available,same with K-x.
But new Sensor in Topmodel.
Biggest point is speed,much more speed than before.
In every range.For a good price i think.
The rest is to hard to translate for me.Japanese info.
Thats all from me till Photokina.
Best regards
The general manager of the Pentax lens factory in Hanoi, Vietnam, has said that the K-7's successor ("will have all of its strengths, but improved, and its shortcomings replaced"). So I have no doubt that the K-7's successor is imminent and to me the right time would be at the Photokina.

07-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
And what are the improvements?
Sworn to secrecy

But yes def all new sensor not by samsung. There's obviously more...
07-28-2010, 02:51 AM   #189
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wonder if the new 16MP sony sensor will be much better than existing 14mp samsung....
07-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #190
emr

The more I read about those new EVILs, the more I lust for one. I'd be very happy if Pentax released a good one at Photokina. Preferably something with at least an APS-C sized sensor and a proper way to use DA/FA limited lenses on. If not, my chrystal ball shows a future with a Sony NEX-5 in my pocket.
07-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
The more I read about those new EVILs, the more I lust for one. I'd be very happy if Pentax released a good one at Photokina.
Yes, despite the obviously crappy user interface (no optical VF) it would be fun and useful to have a lightweight camera with decent sensor size. During my recent holiday, I frequently left the K10D and its lenses at the hotel/apartment and carried only my W10 and on some occasions my wife's Panasonic ZX-1. I carried the latter in a belt-clip-on pouch, the camera doesn't have to be thin enough to fit in a jeans pocket if it's light enough for a belt pouch. I shot some decent home videos with it too, which obviously would have looked less noisy with a larger sensor.

I wonder if Pentax could apply some of it's P&S retractable lens knowledge (they used to be quire a class leader there back in the days of the first Optios) to make a really small kit zoom for such a camera? But what I wonder most of all, is if it would be possible to make an adapter for existing K-mount lenses that includes a screw drive AF motor. If that's possible they would really have a winner. Add a pancake 20 mm for the new mount and I'll use my DA35 and DA70 with such an adapter...
07-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
wonder if the new 16MP sony sensor will be much better than existing 14mp samsung....
Apparently so.
07-28-2010, 05:16 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The general manager of the Pentax lens factory in Hanoi, Vietnam, has said that the K-7's successor ("will have all of its strengths, but improved, and its shortcomings replaced").
I hope, then, that it has again a bracketing button.
07-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #194
Pentaxian

I don't need to replace my K7, I don't need to replace my K7, I don't neeed...... MOUARG
07-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't need to replace my K7, I don't need to replace my K7, I don't neeed...... MOUARG
Don't replace your K-7 then. Just buy the new camera