Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Hi Falk,

Are you talking about Jopy? I noticed a few months ago he was putting a Leica M9 (the only camera that I know of that uses the Kodak CCD FullFrame Sensor) through its paces.

I know Jopy uses a lot of cutting edge equipment but my curiosity was peaked by what I observed. There was also a rumor quite awhile back that Hoya/Pentax may be working on two FullFrame DSLR's, a high spec model (Video, LiveView, etc.) that would require a CMOS sensor. There might also be a lower spec'd model without Video, LiveView, etc. That's where a less expensive CCD sensor (Kodak?) might come in.

Am I way off course? These are just my speculations based on rumors and personal observations.

Regards,

A.
Of course Pentax is working on and field testing FF models. The question is not whether they can put together a FF body, it's whether they have the manufacturing, distribution, and marketing chops to make it financially viable.

Pentax is a reactive company. They need to see where market balance is and then move decisively where they are able, backing it up with a terrific glass component.

And there's the rub. The fracturing of the market creates the need for lens mount and backward compatibility issues. FF makes that very difficult if they also need an EVIL-like model, plus the 645D, plus some continued relevance in APS-C to make price points and keep the established DA users in the happy camp.

If Pentax did not already have NDA's with an FF body in field review, I'd be very surprised.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 07-20-2010 at 07:46 PM.
07-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #62
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
A week or two ago, I heard a name / codename for a new promising SLR camera from internals at Pentax.

It is not on the list within this thread.

This makes me quite confident that nobody here knows anything. Esp. not Quesabesde, K-Rumors or a certain Norwegian troll (aren't they all Norwegian btw? ).

I can only say: Real rumors are easily identified. Remember Mr. Blurrycam?
+1. Yes...All this rumors distract us from true info.
07-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #63

2013-2014?

Hi Tigrebleu,

That is crazy. I'm not going to wait two or three years for a Pentax FullFrame DSLR. That's a $4,000 sale Pentax will lose from me. I'm going to see what Nikon brings out with the replacement for the D700 (supposed to be later this year). I'll probably pick up the 14-24mm f2.8G then too. Nikon does support TTL metering in their higher end camera line (like the D700) so I can use some of my old AIS manual primes I have from my Nikon film days.

Maybe I can pick up a used 5D or a 5D MkII once Canon replaces it this Fall 2010 or Spring 2011 for shooting M42 and my Pentax glass.

I'm just over the APS-C format. A 50mm prime is awesome on FullFrame, on APS-C it sucks. Better wide angle selection and low light capabilities are available on FullFrame cameras as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
I wouldn't bet a single penny on that rumor. Hoya just added a second camera system (645D) to Pentax's current one (APS-C). I think they need time to harvest the profits from this new system before investing in a new body and lens format.

But Spring 2011 might be the time when they announce that they'll soon think about starting the developpement of a full frame camera.

But who knows? Maybe they actually will announce the release of a full frame camera. I sure hope so, but I don't expect this to become reality before 2013-2014.

On a side note, I do know a bit about one of the two models to be announced at the Photokina. I can't say much, since I have agreed not to talk about it.

But I can officially confirm it will be an APS-C DSLR.
07-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #64
Site Supporter

Hi Tigrebleu,

That is crazy. I'm not going to wait two or three years for a Pentax FullFrame DSLR. That's a $4,000 sale Pentax will lose from me. I'm going to see what Nikon brings out with the replacement for the D700 (supposed to be later this year). I'll probably pick up the 14-24mm f2.8G then too. Nikon does support TTL metering in their higher end camera line (like the D700) so I can use some of my old AIS manual primes I have from my Nikon film days.

Maybe I can pick up a used 5D or a 5D MkII once Canon replaces it this Fall 2010 or Spring 2011 for shooting M42 and my Pentax glass.

I'm just over the APS-C format. A 50mm prime is awesome on FullFrame, on APS-C it sucks. Better wide angle selection and low light capabilities are available on FullFrame cameras as well.
Awhile back in another thread falconeye remarked that Pentax may not release a FF camera a Photokina, but if they do not announce a firm date for one, they'll lose a great number of high-margin customers with nothing to show for it but a market swamped by legacy glass.

He's right. Every rumour out of the Canikon camp is of much lower priced FF bodies coming fast. And who knows what Sony is up to. This is big money, not in unit sales, by certainly in margins and afer-market sales.

Pentax, they need a roadmap that its customers can buy into. The distinction between pro and prosumer is long gone, the latter driving margins now.

07-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #65

FullFrame?

You are right Aristophanes! I don't see how Pentax is going to release a K-7 Super in the price range nearing the next generation of FullFrame cameras either.

I used Nikon cameras and lenses for years when I shot film but when I went digital I went with Pentax. I do enjoy Pentax but my heart isn't in APS-C. If Pentax doesn't have something by 2011 I'll go back to the Nikon camp and pick up a used Canon FullFrame for legacy glass.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Awhile back in another thread falconeye remarked that Pentax may not release a FF camera a Photokina, but if they do not announce a firm date for one, they'll lose a great number of high-margin customers with nothing to show for it but a market swamped by legacy glass.

He's right. Every rumour out of the Canikon camp is of much lower priced FF bodies coming fast. And who knows what Sony is up to. This is big money, not in unit sales, by certainly in margins and afer-market sales.

Pentax, they need a roadmap that its customers can buy into. The distinction between pro and prosumer is long gone, the latter driving margins now.
07-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Hi Tigrebleu,

That is crazy. I'm not going to wait two or three years for a Pentax FullFrame DSLR. That's a $4,000 sale Pentax will lose from me.
I bought into a FF solution and tbh. I'm not exactly sure what to do with it.
I bought it for a specific job thinking it would lead me down a new path as well, but beyond the advent of better low light shooting and an AF system that leaves me enough time to pick my nose while tracking moving subjects, I honestly can't justify the means. Not to mention the price of the lenses needed to compliment the product

So now it sits in my cabinet and makes me feel bad, because I don't have the means to justify the cost of the equipment. All I wanted was better low light shooting and AF without having to start my kit from 0 again. And so, if Pentax can do that... I'll be more than happy with it!
07-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #67
Veteran Member

One of the most fun things that you can do on this forum is start a rumors thread about a new camera that has absolutely no basic in fact and then watch it get 5 pages of replies in 2 days.
07-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Even in the unlikely possibility of his news being accurate, the falsified EXIF of a photograph from another(?) member was way out of line and the banning was well deserved IMO.
Yes my photo

07-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #69
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Yes my photo
Chris, I know it was your photo. It was just after you started posting about if Simon's Myth was correct after all that I began wondering if it was your prank in the first place. No offense!

07-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
okay, try this on:

af, ultrasonic crap, etc. everybody does it, we're all bored with it (right?). pentax has found the niche market: they will fork the k system into something cheap, sturdy, weather sealed, manual focus lenses, of outstanding quality and quarter the price, no af motors (smc-a style). back to the basics, for landscape shooters, studio shooters and "slow, thoughtfull" shooters in general. af will still be available (for a while at least) in the current range, but slowly the affordability of excellent lenses in the non af system, and the appeal of the no-nonsense design of the new dslr they will release to match this direction (without af motor in it, even) will eventually win out. the uselessnes of af is already a well known fact, all it takes now is somebody with enough balls to come out and say it. well done, pentax!

excellent viewfinder, ergonomics, build, sensor. the current af system will be further developed just for mf assistance (so not for speed, just for usability, accuracy and low light capability)

maybe even a "full frame", on the same lines, if it works.

can't wait, always wanted a digital film for my old slr.

--
nanok, the prophet
07-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
okay, try this on:

af, ultrasonic crap, etc. everybody does it, we're all bored with it (right?). pentax has found the niche market: they will fork the k system into something cheap, sturdy, weather sealed, manual focus lenses, of outstanding quality and quarter the price, no af motors (smc-a style). back to the basics, for landscape shooters, studio shooters and "slow, thoughtfull" shooters in general. af will still be available (for a while at least) in the current range, but slowly the affordability of excellent lenses in the non af system, and the appeal of the no-nonsense design of the new dslr they will release to match this direction (without af motor in it, even) will eventually win out. the uselessnes of af is already a well known fact, all it takes now is somebody with enough balls to come out and say it. well done, pentax!

excellent viewfinder, ergonomics, build, sensor. the current af system will be further developed just for mf assistance (so not for speed, just for usability, accuracy and low light capability)

maybe even a "full frame", on the same lines, if it works.

can't wait, always wanted a digital film for my old slr.

--
nanok, the prophet
+1 but it must have a 35mm sensor and i will buy it for sure, new manual focus lenses would be awesom !!! back to the basics !
07-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
+1 but it must have a 35mm sensor and i will buy it for sure, new manual focus lenses would be awesom !!! back to the basics !
imho, there's a market for both. it would be easier to start with aps-c, i guess (and more spectacular with 35mm). knowing pentax, they will probably do a "slow start". the 35mm option will become very interesting, if they actually manage to make it cheap enough overall (so that one will have to think: i want "full frame", but can i justify paying that much more for those bells, or should i just go pentax and get it cheaper, lenses included?). however, i think the same will work better for aps-c, at least as far as the body is concerned (because the price of the sensor is not such a huge part of the whole body price, as with 35mm).

however, imho, it's the lenses which are interesting. the body only comes to complement them. if i were pentax, i'd probably start "testing the water" with high end (limited style, or even smc-a) lenses, see how that goes. after this catches on, just throw a nice no-nonsense body on the table "here's what you need for those lenses", and live happily everafter.
07-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Pentax will probably do an APS-C replacement or upgrade to the K7. I know it's obvious but that's about the only thing I'd be willing to put money on right now. Anything else is baseless speculation.
07-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Pentax will probably do an APS-C replacement or upgrade to the K7. I know it's obvious but that's about the only thing I'd be willing to put money on right now. Anything else is baseless speculation.
you're no fun. this is the news and rumors forum. news only goes here with special permission, and you can get banned for being reasonable. (and stoned to death for being reasonable and correct)
07-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #75
Inactive Account

I'm pretty sure the autofocus genie isn't going back into the bottle.

"outstanding quality" + "quarter the price" = Pentax standing on the corner asking for a dollar.