Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A mirrorless camera is of much interest to me but if it is a lot more compact than Oly's EP série.
Something along LX3/auto110 would fit a picket ( standard Lens included)

07-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
aaaah, so you're one of "those". you're one of those who think their camera can still take pictures which are as good as those it used to take when it was new (and perhaps hyped). one of those who thinks the point is to use the damn thing, rather than agonize about what to buy next. one who thinks lenses are actually more important...

i'm disgusted. stones are too good for you

is this where i put the smiley? smiley.
Thank you for that stone...
07-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
A mirrorless camera is of much interest to me but if it is a lot more compact than Oly's EP série.
Something along LX3/auto110 would fit a picket ( standard Lens included)
Only if they use a very small sensor, like the rumored Nikon 17mm 2.5x crop factor system. I don't like it and I hope the rumor is not true.
07-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Only if they use a very small sensor, like the rumored Nikon 17mm 2.5x crop factor system. I don't like it and I hope the rumor is not true.
I'd be happy with the sensor size if it means that the camera + lens would be very pocketable.

07-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i'm afraid i'v got some information about new "pro" model... but i really afraid to reveal it... after whats happend to simonsmith..... its going to have 16MP sensor.... and thats it... its everything i know... i know it from the guy who is been translating the menu at new model for some western europian language.... he is some kind of IT geek.... he know a s....t about cameras but one thing had his atention during the translation: at menu where you choose quality of jpegs number 16 showed up. I don't know whether is this 16.1 or 16.2.... I actually have no idea where this sensor could be from (samsung, kodak or canon) maybe somebody knows about it more....
07-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
i'm afraid i'v got some information about new "pro" model... but i really afraid to reveal it... after whats happend to simonsmith..... its going to have 16MP sensor.... and thats it... its everything i know... i know it from the guy who is been translating the menu at new model for some western europian language.... he is some kind of IT geek.... he know a s....t about cameras but one thing had his atention during the translation: at menu where you choose quality of jpegs number 16 showed up. I don't know whether is this 16.1 or 16.2.... I actually have no idea where this sensor could be from (samsung, kodak or canon) maybe somebody knows about it more....
That is unfortunate 'cause Pentax main problem now is the huge gap between 14mp and 40mp; 16mp sort of doesn't cut it.
07-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
oh yeah? oh, and i was about to say "who cares?". personally i see no problem with 14. or 10 for that matter. concentrating on dynamic range and stuff like that might prove to draw much more attention to a new camera these days.

07-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
Isn't the lack of new lenses lately maybe an indicator of Pentax developing digital FF lenses?
I've hedged my bets by keeping my collection of FA and A lenses. If they do an FF some day, that's ok, but if they don't that's ok too.

My first pentax was a Spotamatic, and I didnt' ask them to abandon the screw mount, but I followed them and bought a K2 and it was one of the best cameras I ever owned.
07-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #114
Veteran Member

There is a big difference to what you just said and the "know it all" BS of that other one.
07-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #115
Veteran Member

I actually have no idea where this sensor could be from (samsung, kodak or canon) maybe somebody knows about it more....
Isn't the new sony sensor rumored to be 16MP? To be used in Nikon D400 and the new a700+ also.
07-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Isn't the new sony sensor rumored to be 16MP? To be used in Nikon D400 and the new a700+ also.
Sony Alpha 260 is rumored that it will have 16MP.

FF shouldn't be below 20MP. Would be a waste of lens performance.
07-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote

good possible
07-24-2010, 06:59 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Well, I certainly hope you get what you want - and you may very well this time around. But I have to say I'm with Nikon guru Thom Hogan on this one... I think that the new-generation video cameras (like Sony's just-announced NEX-VG10E) are going to eventually stifle the video-enabled DSLR. Check out this link and scroll down to the section titled "And So It Starts."

2010 Nikon News and Comments by Thom Hogan
That link is so right on. Been saying the same thing for quite some time.
07-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #119
Veteran Member

I think that the new-generation video cameras (like Sony's just-announced NEX-VG10E) are going to eventually stifle the video-enabled DSLR. Check out this link and scroll down to the section titled "And So It Starts." 2010 Nikon News and Comments by Thom Hogan
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
That link is so right on. Been saying the same thing for quite some time.
Well, I am close to share the above opinions but with a twist.

I rather see optical viewfinder still cameras to stay in one camp and electronic viewfinder still cameras and video cameras to merge into the other camp.

Consider in particular Sony's E-mount. I don't know yet how the NEX-7 will look like in detail but guess will be Panasonic G2 like. Compare this to a NEX-VG10E and I am not sure which camera I would prefer for still photography? The NEX-VG10E seems to offer the better view finder experience and therefore allow for better creativity. It may even have the better AF (faster CPU). As both cameras share the lens and sensor, I really have the choice. Except that the NEX-VG10E costs twice the NEX-7 and I could shoot full frame with an SLR at that price. BTW, another reason to believe the E-mount will go full frame eventually.

Anyway, as long as entry level SLRs compete with SLD will video stay to be important. Eventually, SLRs will all be FF (and MF) and with (almost) no video.

Because it is true really. Who cares about an optical VF if it stays dark all the time?
07-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Well, I certainly hope you get what you want - and you may very well this time around. But I have to say I'm with Nikon guru Thom Hogan on this one... I think that the new-generation video cameras (like Sony's just-announced NEX-VG10E) are going to eventually stifle the video-enabled DSLR. Check out this link and scroll down to the section titled "And So It Starts."

2010 Nikon News and Comments by Thom Hogan
Sorry, I totally disagree with Thom this time.

Video function in DSLR has never been about taking over the pro video market.
Did Canon think of replacing their pro video cam with DSLR when HD video was first added?
NO!
It just so happened that videographers found that large sensor video from DSLR has unique features that cannot be easily reproduced except by the very expensive video gear.

The investment needed to add video function to DSLR is minimal, as most of the hardware is already there. And no DSLR company has followed m4/3 and taken the second step like producing a video optimized zoom lens. The Video function exists purely because of strong consumer demands, and it is designed for consumer use! And most consumers would not ever consider a video cam like NEX-VG10E. So I just can't see how the NEX cam has any relevance to the existence of video functions in DSLR.

If anything, it also gives Nikon and other company a unique opportunity to venture into the video market if they so desire, by adding a video cam with their camera mount. I won't be surprised by such a beast after the release of Nikon mirrorless.

Last edited by nosnoop; 07-24-2010 at 10:44 AM.