Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

As I see it, a "K-5" seen as a K-7 "light" is expected as well as a replacement of the K-7. Maybe a bit up- specified to make more room for the "K-5", hopefully with new AF while "K-5" will have the present K-7 AF.

07-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
nope,wrong name between k-x and k-7.at photokina everybody will see.
Only a couple of weeks to wait for...
Only a couple of weeks to Photokina? Isn't that in september?
07-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #18

Where is Fullframe?

I'm over APS-C!

When are we going to get a FullFrame DSLR from Pentax? Is the rumor true about Spring 2011?

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
nope,wrong name between k-x and k-7.at photokina everybody will see.
Only a couple of weeks to wait for...
07-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
As much as I hate to bring it up again, that Simons Myth guy might have actually been onto something...

The more I read and listen and wait the more I suspect that MAYBE he actually knew a lot and maybe he was also spreading purposely misleading info to generate interest.
I don't think so. This particular rumor (two new models this fall) has been around for a while, and seems plausible enough -- so he incorporated it into his spew of made-up information in order to sound more plausible.

07-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
nope,wrong name between k-x and k-7
Sure? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1112691-post6.html
07-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

It's going to be a long, hot summer!
07-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I won't put much hope for FF pentax body at all... I just want a upgrade with a great AF and full manual video 1080 with 24, 30, 60fps

07-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Only a couple of weeks to Photokina? Isn't that in september?
So about 6 weeks? That's about "a couple of weeks."
07-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

lots of couples
07-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

possibilities.

1) Mirrorless camera.

2) Pro body spec camera.

3) Better then Kx but cheaper/less features then K7.

If 2 bodies are coming out, i would say 1) and 2) as i have no idea who would buy 3).
07-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #26

the biggest complaints i hear about pentax and the k7 concern af and low light capability. so a quantum jump in af speed and accuracy, much better low light capability, much better video and increased fps. with a new array of wr lenses (generally faster than the current da limiteds) to accompany that. maybe even the two sd card capability of the 645d that enables eye-fi card tethering.

for the kx - a new wr body with some kind of special trim that clearly sets it apart as a spiffier, more sophisticated version of the hundred colors model, also with improved video. lots of emphasis on eye-fi for printing, sending photos to one's computer, etc.

okay, i'm making it all up. still sounds marketable to me.
07-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Of course, we need to wait until Photokina... but, as I mentioned at the time, I suspect apologies to Smithsmyth will be in order. Not only did he mention two cameras... he mentioned one just above the K-7 and the other between the K-x and the K-7. He also said some details hadn't been fully firmed up. That said, a four-camera DSLR line-up, ranging from $500 to somewhere between $1500 and $2000, might be a good thing - and make sense. Four DSLRs is still a lot fewer cameras than is offered by the competition.

Like everyone else here, I really want Pentax to start bringing out new lenses - and make it clear where they're headed on this front. If they don't... I will stop waiting and decide whether I want to buy Sigmas or switch systems. I've been trying very hard to keep my kit all Pentax. But this is the last major photo show I'm going to wait for before acting. I suspect the nature of the two new cameras will influence my choice. But if I buy Sigmas, that's it. Even if Pentax brings out similar lenses in the future, I will no longer be in the market for them.

And, finally, I don't mean to be unkind because I'd like all Pentaxians to be happy... but not only will there be no full-frame camera unveiled at Photokina, I don't think there will be one at all. If that changes, it still won't be for several years. I say this because the company has been kind of clear on this in the past.... that there is nothing FF currently in the pipeline. I don't know where this rumor about FF in spring of 2011 came from - frankly Ashiflex's message is the first I've heard of it. Still if it turns out to be true, I will be the happiest person in the world because I'll be happy for my fellow Pentaxians. But, please, don't anyone hold their breath.
07-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Of course, we need to wait until Photokina... but, as I mentioned at the time, I suspect apologies to Smithsmyth will be in order. Not only did he mention two cameras... he mentioned one just above the K-7 and the other between the K-x and the K-7. He also said some details hadn't been fully firmed up. That said, a four-camera DSLR line-up, ranging from $500 to somewhere between $1500 and $2000, might be a good thing - and make sense. Four DSLRs is still a lot fewer cameras than is offered by the competition.

Like everyone else here, I really want Pentax to start bringing out new lenses - and make it clear where they're headed on this front. If they don't... I will stop waiting and decide whether I want to buy Sigmas or switch systems. I've been trying very hard to keep my kit all Pentax. But this is the last major photo show I'm going to wait for before acting. I suspect the nature of the two new cameras will influence my choice. But if I buy Sigmas, that's it. Even if Pentax brings out similar lenses in the future, I will no longer be in the market for them.

And, finally, I don't mean to be unkind because I'd like all Pentaxians to be happy... but not only will there be no full-frame camera unveiled at Photokina, I don't think there will be one at all. If that changes, it still won't be for several years. I say this because the company has been kind of clear on this in the past.... that there is nothing FF currently in the pipeline. I don't know where this rumor about FF in spring of 2011 came from - frankly Ashiflex's message is the first I've heard of it. Still if it turns out to be true, I will be the happiest person in the world because I'll be happy for my fellow Pentaxians. But, please, don't anyone hold their breath.
1) The rumour of an "in between" model started the minute the K-x came out. Why? Because of the massive price gap between the K-x and the K-7, and because the K-x, while generationally more advanced than the K200D, lost some key features of that model. You could drive a freight train through Pentax's price points. Then Pentax acknowledged some negative feedback about the loss of visible AF focus indicators, and the rumour kept going.

They need an intermediate model and Smithsmyth is no better at discerning this than any other brand watcher. the moment you see such a gap, you know Pentax sees it too and is working on a fix.

2) Lenses depend entirely on the FF/EVIL thrust. They will likely need a new mount with backwards compatibility for a mirrorless system, and without FF, they are going to get hammered in the over $X,000 price point as FF sensors are going to begin to dominate. In the next 2 years around $1,500 price point.

Pentax is losing many loyal customers who buy lots of glass to Nikon and the D700. So if you're waiting for glass from Pentax, you'll need to look at the body(ies) that they need to put out to make it work. The APS-C DSLR compromise is a problem.

3) Pentax does not have to unveil an FF, but they pretty much need to announce their intentions. If they do not, the company will bleed loyal customers, especially through deferred glass sales. Rumours of lower price Canikon FF are around, and with good reason. It's the only way forward to compete in the resolution race and still enable cheaper lens manufacturing. Even Sony boxed the NEX and E-mount as FF-capable. That tells you where the end of the road is.

Those loyal bleeders will not take their disposable dollars to the the 645D. APS-C will stay on for quite some time as budget and EVIL system. But the K-7 and successors will be FF. For many loyal Pentaxians, they will hold off on K-7sales until they know for certain. The longer they wait, the more likely those $$$ go to a D700 or its lower-priced successor.

And on a final, long-winded note, a contributing reason we likely have not see FF yet has been the rise of the Yen and the 2008 credit crunch. Development and investment has stalled big time. Nikonians have months long back orders on lenses. Panasonic is reputed to limit supply of its G series simply to keep margins high. This is not a normal trading economy we are in.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 07-20-2010 at 04:55 AM.
07-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #29
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
I won't put much hope for FF pentax body at all... I just want a upgrade with a great AF and full manual video 1080 with 24, 30, 60fps
If I don't like and don't want to shoot video with DSLR, what should I do?
It's strange marketing way. How many users make both video and photo with DSLR?
I think - not above 10%.

Just add new video modes is not making new camera.

As for me, it's not interesting at all - APS-C camera higher than K-7. Pentax version of 7D. No, thank you.

if Hoya offers simple upgrade of K-7 it will be failure. IMO.

Faster, more MP and more video would be good, if Pentax has already FF camera. Like N/C/S.

The better way is to produce K-5 with new features in the body of K-7 and with price lower than $800-900.
And offer FF camera under $1500 with a lot of features.

And offer K-x super with some upgrade with price lower than $550. Or offer EVIL instead of lower-end camera.

It would be cool line of cameras.

Not FF - not good sales. IMO.
Who grew out of K-7/K10D/K20D buy D700/A900/Mk II. Or stay with older models. We can see it every day.

Who uses 10-14.6 MP APS-C cameras from Pentax will make upgrade to new APS-C with reluctance.
K10D and K200D were very good machines. A lot of users like K10D/K20D's body more than K-7, and colours of CCD sensor more than fps, video and AF of K-7.

On the other hand, there are very few K-7 at second hand markets now. I don't remember the same situation with other models.

K-5 will find new users...But camera higher than K-7 with APS-C sensor - I don't see huge sales...

Last edited by ogl; 07-19-2010 at 09:05 PM.
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Well, I certainly hope you get what you want - and you may very well this time around. But I have to say I'm with Nikon guru Thom Hogan on this one... I think that the new-generation video cameras (like Sony's just-announced NEX-VG10E) are going to eventually stifle the video-enabled DSLR. Check out this link and scroll down to the section titled "And So It Starts."

2010 Nikon News and Comments by Thom Hogan