Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-x about to overtake the K-7 on flickr

Just some fun facts.

At the moment the K-x image total on flickr is 693,047, and the K-7 count is 693,564. But as more users are active with the K-x on flickr than with the K-7, probably within the next 24 hours the K-x image count should exceed the K-7 number.

Furthermore in last month the K-x became the most used Pentax camera on flickr. The chart below shows flickr activity by Pentax cameras over the last year, with the K-x progressively climbing up the chart to #1.

07-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a pretty steep slope for the K-x. Looks like its sales are indeed way up there!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-20-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Also I believe this is the first time any newer camera has ever overtaken the K10D -- Pentax' biggest DSLR "hit" so far. So yeah.
07-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess the price-point of the K-x, particularly it's various kits, and it's attractive colourful bodies, has been the most influential thing in it's success on flickr and elsewhere. Most of the K-x users on flickr probably aren't the sort to consult DXOMark scores etc before buying a DSLR, so wouldn't know of any technical difference between a D90, a K-7, or a K-x.

Having said that, the K-x also does seem to have acquired a good reputation for image quality and value, by word of mouth and online buzz more than any particular Pentax marketing triumph, I suspect.

07-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

All that tells up is that the K-x is more popular among Flickr users. That makes sense because Flickr's target user base is the same as the K-x. Flickr is a photo sharing site. If you looked at PhotoShelter or Zenfolio I doubt you would find similar results.
07-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I only presented this data for flickr. It has limited meaning because not everyone who buys a camera posts on flickr, of course.

Do any other photo sites (like Zenfolio or PhotoShelter and others) have the equivalent of flickr's camera finder section? That would be interesting. It would also be cool to find similar data for an image-rich site like Facebook.
07-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you will probably find the same about the canon rebel compared to the canon 40d say. this is normal, entry levels always sell more. pentax is unique i think in it's popularity of midrange models (k10d/k20d)