Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Senior Member
pentaxshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 199
Pentax and the 16-50mm Shortage - translation

Here's a rough translation of the notice from PENTAX JAPAN on 16-50mm shortages:


To those of you who are regular users of our company's products, thank you.

The "smc PENTAX-DA 16-50mmF2.8ED AL [ IF ] SDM " went on sale August 11th and orders have substantially exceeded our company expectations and created a situation where production cannot keep up with demand.

We apologize for the fact that [end users] customers dealers must wait for delivery.

In order to satisfy present demand we must adjust production output and ask your patience while you wait for delivery.

08-19-2007, 06:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian
MRRiley's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling, VA, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,276
This is exactly what Pentax's current problem is. They continually underestimate their customer's desire for new products. Pentax's late entry into DSLRs with first the istD series and now the K series cameras was the exact same failure and this has them behind the powercurve and playing catchup.

They need to seriously increase production in order to keep up with demand or all of the desire they have built up in the customers will eventually come crashing down. I for one don't want to see that happen. Now that Marketing has finally gotten into the act in a serious way, Production needs to step up and keep up!

I don't know how many preorders they had for these lenses but it had to be a substantial number. They should have had at least that many or better yet 50% more in the stores on the 11th.
08-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Prince George, BC Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 644
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
This is exactly what Pentax's current problem is. They continually underestimate their customer's desire for new products. Pentax's late entry into DSLRs with first the istD series and now the K series cameras was the exact same failure and this has them behind the powercurve and playing catchup.

They need to seriously increase production in order to keep up with demand or all of the desire they have built up in the customers will eventually come crashing down. I for one don't want to see that happen. Now that Marketing has finally gotten into the act in a serious way, Production needs to step up and keep up!

I don't know how many preorders they had for these lenses but it had to be a substantial number. They should have had at least that many or better yet 50% more in the stores on the 11th.
Is it that they simply underestimated the demand, or is their production capacity incapable of manufacturing sufficient quantities? I preorderd both DA* lenses in March and I am still waiting after having put down over $1600 Canadian as a deposit. Pentax Canada now say delivery is expected in September ...lets hope.
08-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian
MRRiley's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling, VA, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,276
I'd imagine thats it's a little of both Mike. They underestimated the demand thus did not plan enough production capacity. I realize they have to walk a fine line, but if they are paying attention to forums like PF then they would know that their users are clamoring for these and further lenses.

08-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 159
It is too bad that Pentax cannot figure out production quotas and proper inventory levels after they addressed this earlier in 2007. I was so looking forward to see many happy Pentax owners taking some pics with these lenses. I checked out my favorite camera stores, however they could not help me with an eta.

There are sample pics in that loud DPR forum with these lenses and the output does look good. One complaint of the 16-50 is it is too plastic which does help reduce weight.
08-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 44
Best lens yet for K10

B.S. it痴 the best lens yet for K10
It痴 like having a new camera, so fast so quiet no hunting. Sharp pictures No plastic ok.
I thought high demand for your product is a good thing?
I was on the email me when available list from B&H and ordered it immediately.
I knew they would sell out didn稚 you? All the preview pictures and reviews concur.
Except Devil Photo Review maybe.
08-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Wethphotography's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington, D.C., USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxographer Quote
B.S. it痴 the best lens yet for K10
It痴 like having a new camera, so fast so quiet no hunting. Sharp pictures No plastic ok.
Do you have any photos taken with this lens you could share?
08-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
pentaxshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 199
Original Poster
It's amazing how a simple thread can take on a life of its own....



PS: I too would be interested in seeing some samples from your 16-50mm.

08-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 44
Why what are you trying to say?
08-22-2007, 06:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Tom Lusk's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 972
Huh?

"B.S. it痴 the best lens yet for K10"

Do you mean this is the best lens yet designed for the K10 or the best performing lens ever made that can be used on a K10?

Big difference!

I'd like to see some of the professional reviews of this lens. Can you post the URL's please?
08-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 230
Pentax is not the only one to be behind the 8 ball when trying to deliver. At one point a Nikon lens had a year+ worth of back orders so take heart its only a few weeks from initial shipping. I don't think one can count the delays in getting the initial production run out the door in the getting the product to the customer in this aspect. But that is also something not to ignore, and it too is something suffered across the board in manufacturing. It still sucks though.
08-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 44
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
"B.S. it’s the best lens yet for K10"

Do you mean this is the best lens yet designed for the K10 or the best performing lens ever made that can be used on a K10?

Big difference!

I'd like to see some of the professional reviews of this lens. Can you post the URL's please?
oops let me Try again “best Auto Focusing performance” yet
I love my FA primes but....

PentaxLife
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
16-50mm, delivery, demand, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, production, translation, users
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shortage of rare glass? Who feels like living dangerously... Steinback Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 30 10-01-2010 09:07 PM
Interview w/ Pentax Head of Marketing - NEEDS TRANSLATION illdefined Pentax News and Rumors 17 09-29-2010 02:13 AM
Pentax K-X Shortage rbcole123 Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 03-12-2010 08:36 PM
A LITTLE HELP with translation please puderse General Talk 16 12-06-2009 02:11 AM
Translation from PMA Pentax Interview - new DSLR body this year and company strategy Katsura Pentax News and Rumors 66 09-23-2007 04:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top