Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax and the 16-50mm Shortage - translation

Here's a rough translation of the notice from PENTAX JAPAN on 16-50mm shortages:

To those of you who are regular users of our company's products, thank you.

The "smc PENTAX-DA 16-50mmF2.8ED AL [ IF ] SDM " went on sale August 11th and orders have substantially exceeded our company expectations and created a situation where production cannot keep up with demand.

We apologize for the fact that [end users] customers dealers must wait for delivery.

In order to satisfy present demand we must adjust production output and ask your patience while you wait for delivery.

08-19-2007, 06:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is exactly what Pentax's current problem is. They continually underestimate their customer's desire for new products. Pentax's late entry into DSLRs with first the istD series and now the K series cameras was the exact same failure and this has them behind the powercurve and playing catchup.

They need to seriously increase production in order to keep up with demand or all of the desire they have built up in the customers will eventually come crashing down. I for one don't want to see that happen. Now that Marketing has finally gotten into the act in a serious way, Production needs to step up and keep up!

I don't know how many preorders they had for these lenses but it had to be a substantial number. They should have had at least that many or better yet 50% more in the stores on the 11th.
08-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
This is exactly what Pentax's current problem is. They continually underestimate their customer's desire for new products. Pentax's late entry into DSLRs with first the istD series and now the K series cameras was the exact same failure and this has them behind the powercurve and playing catchup.

They need to seriously increase production in order to keep up with demand or all of the desire they have built up in the customers will eventually come crashing down. I for one don't want to see that happen. Now that Marketing has finally gotten into the act in a serious way, Production needs to step up and keep up!

I don't know how many preorders they had for these lenses but it had to be a substantial number. They should have had at least that many or better yet 50% more in the stores on the 11th.
Is it that they simply underestimated the demand, or is their production capacity incapable of manufacturing sufficient quantities? I preorderd both DA* lenses in March and I am still waiting after having put down over $1600 Canadian as a deposit. Pentax Canada now say delivery is expected in September ...lets hope.
08-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd imagine thats it's a little of both Mike. They underestimated the demand thus did not plan enough production capacity. I realize they have to walk a fine line, but if they are paying attention to forums like PF then they would know that their users are clamoring for these and further lenses.

08-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #5

It is too bad that Pentax cannot figure out production quotas and proper inventory levels after they addressed this earlier in 2007. I was so looking forward to see many happy Pentax owners taking some pics with these lenses. I checked out my favorite camera stores, however they could not help me with an eta.

There are sample pics in that loud DPR forum with these lenses and the output does look good. One complaint of the 16-50 is it is too plastic which does help reduce weight.
08-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Best lens yet for K10

B.S. it痴 the best lens yet for K10
It痴 like having a new camera, so fast so quiet no hunting. Sharp pictures No plastic ok.
I thought high demand for your product is a good thing?
I was on the email me when available list from B&H and ordered it immediately.
I knew they would sell out didn稚 you? All the preview pictures and reviews concur.
Except Devil Photo Review maybe.
08-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxographer Quote
B.S. it痴 the best lens yet for K10
It痴 like having a new camera, so fast so quiet no hunting. Sharp pictures No plastic ok.
Do you have any photos taken with this lens you could share?

08-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
It's amazing how a simple thread can take on a life of its own....

PS: I too would be interested in seeing some samples from your 16-50mm.
08-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Why what are you trying to say?
08-22-2007, 06:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Huh?

"B.S. it痴 the best lens yet for K10"

Do you mean this is the best lens yet designed for the K10 or the best performing lens ever made that can be used on a K10?

Big difference!

I'd like to see some of the professional reviews of this lens. Can you post the URL's please?
08-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #11

Pentax is not the only one to be behind the 8 ball when trying to deliver. At one point a Nikon lens had a year+ worth of back orders so take heart its only a few weeks from initial shipping. I don't think one can count the delays in getting the initial production run out the door in the getting the product to the customer in this aspect. But that is also something not to ignore, and it too is something suffered across the board in manufacturing. It still sucks though.
08-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
"B.S. it’s the best lens yet for K10"

Do you mean this is the best lens yet designed for the K10 or the best performing lens ever made that can be used on a K10?

Big difference!

I'd like to see some of the professional reviews of this lens. Can you post the URL's please?
oops let me Try again “best Auto Focusing performance” yet
I love my FA primes but....

PentaxLife