Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That looks really nice..Very Leica'ish...

07-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Well Panasonic, Samsung, and Fuji have all announced new camera products today, lets hope that pentax are close behind with their own announcements.
07-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #33

Evil?

I bet we are looking at the new Pentax EVIL or Mirrorless Camera. Photokina is getting closer and this could be something used to create a buzz (like what Pentax did with the D-FA WR 100 2.8 by releasing CAD drawings).

Looking at the Hoya/Pentax website you can see the following retro looking cameras:

The retro look works for Pentax with these P&S cameras. With Pentax being such a small player in the camera market, a camera like the MXD would help it stand out and really generate a buzz.

We'll see what happens at Photokina. The camera looks pretty cool.
07-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
I bet we are looking at the new Pentax EVIL or Mirrorless Camera.
Only it's an EV without the IL.
Or a plain P&S.

QuoteQuote:
The retro look works for Pentax with these P&S cameras.
Or does it? Sure, it looks cute.
But I-10 was only #89 in last month P&S sales chart in Japan.
Among the Pentax P&S, it came in 4th behind E90, W90 and H90.

07-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Pentax I-10 is a fail.
It had to be amateur hi-speced camera. Instead it's a regular P&S
Why, oh why???

I wish Pentax release camera that looks like I-10 and has features like Panasonic LX3(5) / Canon S90 ... etc.

:ugh:
07-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right.... the retro look on the I-10 should back with higher end p&s features like LX3.

I like the look when I saw the I-10, the moment I saw it first hand, I dislike it.... the built feels cheap and doesn't fit the retro look. Is sad, that design could be a hit.
07-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting this, and thanks to the creators for the work and the ideas. I like the form factor and manual controls. The manual time-release lever and x-sync are downright charming. It must have been a fun project.

Gotta say, though, I found the placement and shape on the MX shutter release was the least intuitive and most inaccessible of any SLR I've used.

08-02-2010, 02:30 AM   #38

Thank you for your comments...to this crazy ...idea...

We start playing about our dream.. and because a drawing is better than 1000 words... we develop our "tamagoci"....

Desing specification:
-The same dimension of the mighty MX
-Full lens compatibility from K to actual SDM
-Evil technology
-The most innovation as possible

This was the result: MXD v.3.3 (more specification in the downloadable, pp presentation)

if you want to continue we can go forward to the 4.0 release ready for the Photokina in September 2010

Who want to play?.. please reply and specify:

-what you want to add
-what you want to modify

I will try to collect and synthetize all your suggestion and design the new MXD 4.0 version... the "most wanted" new Pentax.

waiting for your suggestion.....

Carlo
08-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #39
Inactive Account

These design drawings look like they were made with software from the 1980s. I highly doubt that any company would use something this crude even internally.
08-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
These design drawings look like they were made with software from the 1980s. I highly doubt that any company would use something this crude even internally.
avoid "OT" please.

Let assume it is an hand-made sketch; any problems?

Carlo
08-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #41
Forum Member

Assuming it is a hand-sketch, the design is still not only old fashioned, but simply outdated, ugly, unergonomic and too big. Sorry.

The part left of the lens (seen from behind the cam) was needed in film cameras for the spool. It's not needed anymore. Likewise for the prism hump and the huuuuuge flange-back-distance.

The detachae grip is nice, but oher than that: sorry, no. Absolutely not. The idea of a retro-styled cam seems appealing, but I think a less literal approach would work much better. Such as Pentax has done with the limited lenses.
08-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #42

fzwo.....Specifications must be followed:
Desing specification:

In that left part.. there is the "battery compartment"
If you use the camera with the battery-grip in vertical position, .. there is a lot of free space on your left side.

A lot of People do not consider the MX an ugly camera; do you ever had one?

thanks for your comments.

Carlo

Last edited by MEXK; 08-02-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: complete
08-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #43

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fzwo Quote
The part left of the lens (seen from behind the cam) was needed in film cameras for the spool. It's not needed anymore. Likewise for the prism hump and the huuuuuge flange-back-distance.
Without remarking on this drawing, but just speaking to the ergonomics of the "spool area", I wish it had been left in place. It allowed my palm to cradle the body while holding the lens properly (from underneath). Doesn't fit as snugly without it. Of course, being that it is ergonomic, I may be alone in that preference.
08-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MEXK Quote
fzwo.....Specifications must be followed:
Desing specification:
And who specified that? You asked for comments, I commented, and I stand by my assessment.

Also, putting the battery in the left side is making the lack of a real grip even worse by making the camera even more unbalanced. Ever used a Minolta Dimage 7/7i/7hi?
08-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #45
Pentaxian

This is a nice effort. I may not agree with all the details, but the basic premise is sound. Is it too much to ask for a real shutter speed knob though?

I think someone, somewhere, will make a camera like this. There is a constant burble from different corners of the camera world, longing for a digital version of the Nikon F3 etc, the Canon A1, the Pentax LX and MX. Especially given the acceptance of EVIL, we will likely see something in this retro form factor some day.

I think the best place for Pentax to look are in two designs already on the books. The prototype digital MZ-D, and the near mythical MZ-1.