Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 Updated!

Hello fox!

PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 just updated to 4.21.

you can find here :

Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

[Main changes from Version 4.11]

* Support for the 645D camera.
* Added [Reversal Film] mode on Custom Image function.
* Added lens data.
[smc PENTAX-D FA645 55mmF2.8 AL[IF]SDM AW]
[smc PENTAX-FA645 lens]
* Improved stability of general performance.

* Contents of [Version 4.11] will be also updated.

I'm downloading now and it's from japan. So slow

07-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #2

Let us know if they fixed the bug with the program not restarting after leaving photos "checked" (red, green, blue) and closing the program. The fix to get the program working again was to go to a specific file directory and edit a particular file (remove checked photos). The issue and fix was posted on this site.

Thanks
Mike
07-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Actually, I'm not using PDCU. I'm using only Lightroom 3(also Mac user).
can somebody do the test that trailrider wrote?
07-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I would like a good tethering program for my PENTAX DSLR!!!!! I use Lightroom or Bridge for Image management.

07-24-2010, 12:42 AM   #5

Tethering program

Hi Pentaxian210,
I believe you guy's in the states can purchase a SD WiFi card that will send the images to a computer/laptop and into the auto import for lightroom. You should then be able to view them directly. I don't know the time it takes but If you can't tether directly that may be the next option.

I live in Australia and they don't ship the cards outside the states from my attempts to purchase but would also like to hear from anyone that actually uses the card.

Hope this helps.
07-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #6

The problem with "checking" photos and have DCU crash on startup is not fixed. I downloaded v4.21 and tested it. Below is the fix I got somewhere. It worked again on 4.21. I can't believe Pentax has not fixed this. From what I have read support knows about it.

Mike

"
Don't waste your time - here is a suitable solution.

My last activity was marking about 200 files with the build-in markers. Without further action i had to close DCU4. From then DCU4 ended every launching in crashing.

A deep quest in XP's own (and normally hidden) folders brought the cause: If you mark pictures DCU4 creates a CheckInfo.ini file. If you rename, delete or empty this file launching DCU4 will work normally... until you mark some pictures!

You will find CheckInfo.ini in folder "<Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\application data\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4>"

Please remember: I'm using Windows XP Home (german edition). Therefore folder names are different from other languages editions!

Good luck
claus"
07-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

pkremote is decent, for those of you looking for an alternative, i have used it briefly some time ago, works well. there is also a thread on these forums about it.
07-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

With the new firmware 1.10 for the K-7, does PDCU 4.21 have some special features compatible with the new firmware ?

07-29-2010, 02:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
pkremote is decent, for those of you looking for an alternative, i have used it briefly some time ago, works well. there is also a thread on these forums about it.
Honestly, is PKRemote any better than the canned software from Pentax? If it is worth it I can re-install something like Ubuntu in a VM but if there are no real gains I just as soon not have any Linsux OS on my system...I tease because I hated the yet-another-per-version of Linsux used for the Nokia N800 OS (as I remember a Debian perversion to begin with), loved when OS2008 was released and simultaneously broke the built in video camera AND Skype but nobody said a GD thing until it was done and the vid camera breakage could not be undone for some reason...all the "improvements" ruined my $400 investment in a device so I got a whole 3-6 months of use and Nokia's answer was tough shit...seriously that was their attitude and those with access to Nokia in the user group went along because they had been bought and paid for with access and free perks.
07-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
With the new firmware 1.10 for the K-7, does PDCU 4.21 have some special features compatible with the new firmware ?

Yes it supports the new reverse film custom option.
07-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Honestly, is PKRemote any better than the canned software from Pentax? If it is worth it I can re-install something like Ubuntu in a VM but if there are no real gains I just as soon not have any Linsux OS on my system...I tease because I hated the yet-another-per-version of Linsux used for the Nokia N800 OS (as I remember a Debian perversion to begin with), loved when OS2008 was released and simultaneously broke the built in video camera AND Skype but nobody said a GD thing until it was done and the vid camera breakage could not be undone for some reason...all the "improvements" ruined my $400 investment in a device so I got a whole 3-6 months of use and Nokia's answer was tough shit...seriously that was their attitude and those with access to Nokia in the user group went along because they had been bought and paid for with access and free perks.
mate, no offence, but you lost me here. what does that have to do with anything? i am sorry about your nokia experience, but i see no connection. if you hate linux don't use it, if you're not looking for an alternative, don't bother with pkremote. i did say "_if_ you _are_ looking for an alternative". if the pentax software works for you to your satisfaction, and you only run windows anyway, i would say don't bother with pkremote, life's short; why do some people make their life so hard for themselves?
07-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trailrider Quote
The problem with "checking" photos and have DCU crash on startup is not fixed.
I have to disagree. PDCU 4.21 is a marked improvement from version 4.11. I checked and processes a queue of 142 files ar once without crashing. I repated 3 times the process with these 142 files and my computer (Dual-core, XP SP3, 4 Gb RAM) did not crash.

PDCU 4.21 is definitely a nice improvement from v. 4.11.
08-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #13

hcc,

Did you "check mark" photos and leave them "checked" and close the program and reopen? Mine will not reopen if I leave photos "checked". I am running XP SP3 and have 2.19 GHz processor and 2 GB of ram.

Thanks,

Mike
08-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I have to disagree. PDCU 4.21 is a marked improvement from version 4.11. I checked and processes a queue of 142 files ar once without crashing. I repated 3 times the process with these 142 files and my computer (Dual-core, XP SP3, 4 Gb RAM) did not crash.

PDCU 4.21 is definitely a nice improvement from v. 4.11.
I just updated to v. 4.21 because I have had some problems with version 4.00 ... it kept on !quitting" on me; right in the middle of a conversion job from DNG to "save as ..." in JPEG, the program was just quitting.
Now, the Sme THING IS HAPPENING WITH VERSION 4.21.
Any idea what is going on?
I am also sending an email to Pentax () about this.

JP