Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WHAT MAKES YOU A PENTAXIAN (from a Pentax e-mail)

I just got this e-mail from Pentax, and thought I'd post if just in case anyone is interested who didn't get it.

WHAT KIND OF PENTAXIAN ARE YOU? Pentaxian (noun): A term widely used by PENTAX photographers when they talk about loyalty to the PENTAX brand. They use this term to describe themselves on various photo web forums.

Dear Stu,
PENTAX© is creating a new Website devoted to the PENTAXIAN, but we need your help before we can launch the site on September 6, 2007. We are asking PENTAXIAN´s like you to share with us 'What makes you a PENTAXIAN?'
Your comment will be added to the Community Section of PENTAXIAN.com for other PENTAXIAN´s to view, as well as encourage others to share their thoughts about PENTAX. If you wish to participate please send the information below to info@pentaxian.com no later than 8/22/2007.

1. WHAT MAKES YOU A PENTAXIAN
2. FIRST NAME, LAST INITIAL
3. COUNTRY
4. CITY
5. IMAGE OF YOURSELF (Not Required. Please limit file size to 500kb)

Thank you,

The PENTAX Marketing Team

Here's a link they also supplied
PENTAXIAN

08-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The only email I received from Pentax in the past few days was one announcing the Photo Gallery. Maybe I'm not a true "PENTAXIAN"???
08-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Email from Pentax

I received the email, mentioned above, here in Australia!
08-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
The only email I received from Pentax in the past few days was one announcing the Photo Gallery. Maybe I'm not a true "PENTAXIAN"???
As a true PENTAXIAN I thought it was my duty to post it

I wouldn't be surprised if you do get it, they probably have a big mailing list.
If you don't received it there's a good chance you checked a box saying that you didn't want any additional e-mail somewhere along the line.

08-19-2007, 01:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
As a true PENTAXIAN I thought it was my duty to post it

I wouldn't be surprised if you do get it, they probably have a big mailing list.
If you don't received it there's a good chance you checked a box saying that you didn't want any additional e-mail somewhere along the line.
I love my K110D but would never, ever describe myself as a Pentaxian! Guys, do the words "marketing" and "hysteria" mean anything to anybody? I am a "Photographian" and nothing else. Before anybody challenges my professionalism: I am not (a professional) - I shoot pictures for fun and as a serious hobby for the last 30 odd years.

Not looking for a fight at all, but this "Canonian, Nikonian, Pentaxian" stuff is starting to look like nationalism - ugly. It's being used for the same purposes as well - create a divide between "us" and "them".

Being in a forum that is dedicated to one brand is fine, it allows you to learn from others how to get the best out of your equipment. Being proud of one's equipment is no problem either, you saved up for it and spent your hard-earned cash on it, try to get the best out of it and be proud when it delivers.

Allowing the brand to use fake allegiance and loyalty as a selling point is not right in my eyes and crosses a thin line. Hey, I absolutely loved my K1000 for 25 years - my K110D is a dream and I might even save up for a K10D (or whatever replaces it in future) down the line. That will never make me a Pentaxian, nor will my driving a French car make me a "Renault-ian" or my Philips coffeemachine a.... You catch my drift here I guess.

Am I being too harsh???

Mike
08-19-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I love my K110D but would never, ever describe myself as a Pentaxian! Guys, do the words "marketing" and "hysteria" mean anything to anybody? I am a "Photographian" and nothing else. Before anybody challenges my professionalism: I am not (a professional) - I shoot pictures for fun and as a serious hobby for the last 30 odd years.

Not looking for a fight at all, but this "Canonian, Nikonian, Pentaxian" stuff is starting to look like nationalism - ugly. It's being used for the same purposes as well - create a divide between "us" and "them".

Being in a forum that is dedicated to one brand is fine, it allows you to learn from others how to get the best out of your equipment. Being proud of one's equipment is no problem either, you saved up for it and spent your hard-earned cash on it, try to get the best out of it and be proud when it delivers.

Allowing the brand to use fake allegiance and loyalty as a selling point is not right in my eyes and crosses a thin line. Hey, I absolutely loved my K1000 for 25 years - my K110D is a dream and I might even save up for a K10D (or whatever replaces it in future) down the line. That will never make me a Pentaxian, nor will my driving a French car make me a "Renault-ian" or my Philips coffeemachine a.... You catch my drift here I guess.

Am I being too harsh???

Mike
I totally agree Mike.

What camera, car, motorbike ect you chose is a personal choice. I have been a serious but not professional photographer for 35+ years and have always had a Pentax. The only reason for this is that my parents bought me one for a birthday gift and as time has gone by I have accumilated a vast collection of Pentax equipment. Makes sense to stick with Pentax for new Camera as all non-digital equipment works with almost any body or lens. When I ventured in to DSLR's I could only afford the body so by default again went with a Pentax *ist DL, then upgraded to K10d this year and purchased some DG lenses. I have been very happy with the results I get from my cameras and do not see the need to "belong" to marketing hype such as this. A camera is only as good as the person taking the photograph. My nieghbour has all the gear but no idea, he spent a fortune on Nikon d2 this and that and the results he gets are no better than my 7 year old daughters taken on a cheap Fuji finepix point and shoot.

remember Your camera is as good as you make it.
08-19-2007, 05:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

IMO it is more "patriotism" than "nationalism", and there is a key difference between the two. Patriotism is warranted, and like many here I admire the products that Pentax has created. But also like many, if Pentax stops meeting my needs, or another brand starts meeting them more - my reasons for the patriotic attachment wane and I'll bid Pentax goodbye.

08-19-2007, 05:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, I answered it and I have no problem being part of the "marketing hype"... Pentax is a company which makes a product that I believe in and if my little 2 cents worth helps them market more cameras all the better for us all.

After all, an unsuccessful Pentax cannot design and build new cameras and lenses. An unsuccessful Pentax could become the next Minolta and then where would we all be? I guess we could join the Samsung crowd, assuming Samsung was willing to produce products following the Pentax design after Pentax's demise.

More likely, we'd be forced to buy canon or nikon to obtain modern cameras and lenses. Some, of course, would just get by with what they had, but with LBA being what it is, it wouldnt be long before they found themselves out of supply or just plain out of luck for a particular lens.

Why shouldnt Pentax want to crow a little about a user base that goes back over 50 years?

So, am I a Pentaxian? Hell Yeah!

p.s. Samsung guys... Don't take my comments about Samsung negatively. I think it's great that Samsung chose the Pentax design and we are glad to have you on board..
08-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #9
Inactive Account

NewMikey. You are right on the money.

When I first got into photography, I used a Kodak Retinette 1A. A beautiful and totally manual fixed lens rangefinder.

My fist SLR was a used Olympus OM10 that I bought because it was dirt cheap. I was a student at the time just starting High School and I had to save for ages to get it. During this time, my father loved Pentax. He knew how innovative they were in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Pentax is well known as being an innovator in the camera industry. Consequently, he bought a P3 when they first came out.

Because we both appreciated how innovative Pentax was, I bought my SF10 in 89. I was taking a photography course, and another student had the first generation auto focus Minolta camera. When I saw how beautiful and feature rich the Pentax model was, I just had to have one. I paid 900 Canadian back then. I had wanted an SF1, but it was out of my reach. It had a built in flash which was fantastic. It also placed the hotshot in a place that balanced the camera like nothing I have seen to this day.

When digital was in its infancy, I came across an Olympus D320L in 98/99. This was my first foray into digital. I was hooked. Shortly afterwards in 2000, I bought a Nikon 990 which I paid a then staggering sum of 1600 Canadian for. This worked for me for several years. However I had always wanted a DSLR. They were just too expensive at that time.

I waited for a Pentax DSLR to come out, but Pentax came late to the digital market by about 2 or 3 years (I even had the lenses but I couldn't wait any longer). Consequently, when the Digital Rebel was announced for around the 1000 mark, I took the hook, line and sinker. I now have a 20D. I have so much now invested into the Canon system, that I cannot see myself jumping to Pentax. And I am fine with that. There is nothing wrong with Canon gear.

However, when it came time to buy my father a birthday/father's day present, I did not hesitate in getting him a K10D. The original thought was to get him the body, and he could use my old SF10 glass (an off brand made for a Canadian photo store called Blacks - Both lenses are marked Magnicon). However, I quickly found out that the lenses suffer from very very bad CA. So he quickly bought himself the Pentax 16-45 and 50-200 lenses. He then got himself a Tamron 70-300 because he liked to have more reach. He has poor eyesight, so auto focus is very important to him. He also allows me to use it whenever I wish to. So I guess I get the best of both worlds.

So forgive me if I am amused with the whole Pentaxian, Canonite, Nikonian, (add other brand here) segregation stuff. I have used a lot of gear from so many different manufactures. They all took good photos.

Please forgive me also. I have participated in a few Canon/Nikon forums, and you guys do not hold a candle to the frothing megalomaniac brand one mindedness that those guys ritualistically praise and dance to. I have always found that sort of behaviour odd. Probably why I didn't quite fit in lol...not that I would want to.

With that said, It is nice to see Pentax finally do some advertising. I am not too keen on their whole Pentaxian slant however. I would rather see them focus more on what makes their gear unique and worthwhile to have, rather then the people who use it.

EDIT: Lol. I wrote 20-200 and meant to say 50-200...got to love them typos. Corrected now

Last edited by Chako; 08-19-2007 at 07:23 AM.
08-19-2007, 05:33 AM   #10
Inactive Account

To this point, this thread is why I really like this forum. We have folks who articulately and pursuasivley argue their points without flaming each other. I have found this thread fascinating reading. Kudos to all. Perhaps I am Pentax Forumian!
08-19-2007, 05:34 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Freedom of choice!!

Enjoy your life and support products that support your passions.

Pentax definitely does not love us, however they love the $$$. In turn, if we are Pentaxians, Pentax might respond with satisfying our photography needs.

How about DA* TCs?

Leave politics where it should be, in the garbage, with all the other methods of social control.

Go out and shoot pictures.
08-19-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax Singalong Time!!!!

(snip) Not looking for a fight at all, but this "Canonian, Nikonian, Pentaxian" stuff is starting to look like nationalism - ugly. It's being used for the same purposes as well - create a divide between "us" and "them".

Actually, it's Canonites from Canono, Nikonons from Nikonia, and Pentaxians from Pentaxia. Three names and three places made up entirely for the fun of it. I first heard the word Pentaxians more than ten years ago, with Pentax only just now paying any attention to it. Over the years since, users adopted a place for Pentaxians along with names and places for Canon and Nikon users. However, none of this was done to create a divide between "us" and "them." Instead, it acknowledges an already existing divide - three groups and where each is coming from in their thinking and perspectives. Of course, I have no problem with the diversity of different identities, ideas, viewpoints, and perspectives. I also have no problem with nationalism. In my book, nationalism is diversity as well, not something to be described as ugly.

QuoteQuote:
(snip) Allowing the brand to use fake allegiance and loyalty as a selling point is not right in my eyes and crosses a thin line.

I've seen no effort by Pentax to use any of this as a selling point. Indeed, I don't see how it could be used in that manner. Instead, all I see is a company creating a promotional website using a name that already exists, playing on that playful situation. As far as I'm concerned, if that website brings users closer together, or users and the company closer together, then I say all the more power to it. Long live Pentaxia! Long live Pentaxians!

Sing along now (using Mickey Mouse Club March theme song)...

What's the name of the club
That's made for you and me
Hey there! Hi there" Ho there!
You're as welcome as can be
P-E-N-T-A-X F-O-R-U-M

Pentax Forum!
Pentax Forum!

Forever let us hold our banner
High! High! High! High!

Come along and sign a song
And join the jamboree!
P-E-N-T-A-X F-O-R-U-M

Edit: Okay, I'll spell it out for those who still don't get it. It's a joke. This photography stuff is supposed to be fun. This Pentaxian thing is supposed to be fun. It appears the new Pentaxian website by Pentax USA is being designed with fun in mind. So have a good laugh and lighten up already. If you don't, I'm going to sing at you some more.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 08-19-2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
08-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that this is the great thing about this forum. Intelligent discussion of ideas and sharing of opinion without singling out one person’s viewpoint and flaming them. This is an interesting thread and there are merits in all the views presented so far. Even a humourous theme song now, Lol. (Can we make it play every time you open the home page… on second thought…. With the exception of one (now fairly infrequent poster - thank god (RH)) member, I respect the views of everyone here and that diversity of opinion is what makes this site so great.

I’d have to come down on the ‘photographian’ side of the discussion. I’ve used Canon, Olympus and Kodak cameras in over 25 years of shooting. All were good and took great pictures. It was the K1000 and subsequently the LX that has got and kept me in the Pentax camp. I do feel a loyalty to the brand even when it seemed at times the brand didn’t deliver that back (no support/product for upscale/pro users, slow change to digital, and lack of lenses etc.).

I’d much rather go to the local photo club and discuss a new idea, share a good photo or get a tip on how to compose a better shot. Unfortunately it can sometimes turn to my gear is better than yours because…

I may not be popular for the following view but I agree that overly zealous patriotism or nationalism can be ‘ugly’ at times. It is applied to this and other brands (ask a Harley owner when you’re sitting on a ‘rice burner’) and it goes all the way up to gender, race and nation. Look at the mess the world is in today. Pentax isn’t better than Canon or Nikon and vice versa. We have some advantages, that’s true but I’d sure love to be able to walk into any shop and get any lens, part or add-on I want the day I want it. Or get a Sigma/Tamron lens version in a K mount that the others can get. Someday with Hoya that may come, let’s hope.

I as well, use the term Pentaxian in conversation and posts. But it’s generally a bit of a joke and descriptor for a certain issue/idea. Ego and Pride can be considered impediments to learning and bridge in the things that divide us. I heard a radio documentary recently discussing the divide between the Jews and the Arab neighbours in a town in Israel. This may be stretching a point too far but the story is somewhat analogous to those that vehemently defend a brand even when logic would tell otherwise. Anyway the story was as follows. These Arab neighbours were protesting some issue in front of a synagogue and it looked like things were going to get violent. A standoff across the street developed. This one older guy realizes that the choice is to walk across the street and discuss things or call the authorities. He realized that the second choice would never solve the problem and would further divide the neighbourhood. So he crosses the street at some personal risk. A few hours of discussion and they are organizing a neighbourhood soccer game between both parties. That led to everyone cleaning up the neighbourhood and a ton of other community projects. They even visit each others places of worship now. Now everyone works together and lives in peace.

I know it’s a far cry from Pentax vs. C or N. But the point is, the walls we create don’t help any of us to move forward as nations or as photographers. A little loyalty to Pentax is fine but fervent separation or trashing of the other brands only expands the divide that should never exist. I think this whole Pentaxian thing is another example of years of a poor marketing dept at Pentax that just doesn’t get it. To me it comes across as arrogant (also pandering to the already converted) and these print ads (as well as whatever they will do with these email submissions) are not going to do anything to attract a first time user to the brand. I just wish they would promote the great features and attributes of this brand and invite everyone to the party.
08-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Pete's point is well taken, as are everyone else's - this is a great thread.

I truly enjoy my Pentax gear, and I know it's limitations. If for some bizarre reason things continue to grow for me in terms of photography, but Pentax cannot come up with the goods, I will not hesitate to buy the system that can do it. That being said, if I did "jump ship" I think I'd still keep my Pentax gear and use it for hobby/pleasure instead. The K10D is quite intuitive to use, and the glass is excellent.

That being said, I dislike the current lack of longer, faster glass for wildlife work, birding, etc. I am talking about 300/2.8 --> 600/4 glass, and even if third party lens makers have it, the availability of Pentax mount glass is unfortunately still small. Unfortunately those lenses are very expensive, and the market is much smaller. Therefore the incentive to make K mount lenses is smaller. However, that is going to change soon!

I believe (based on my experiences so far) most of the fervor in the Canon and Nikon camps is not coming from people who are pro photographers. I suspect those fervent "disciples" of Canon and Nikon are not pros, and to be honest that behavior and a lack of friendliness in those forums steered me away from Canon and Nikon when I bought my first DSLR. I know I am generalizing, since there are many wonderful folks out there that shoot with one of the big two, but damn there was a lot of negativity in some of those threads!!

I've yet to encounter a pro who dismissed my choice of gear out of hand. It's just a tool to them, and if it cannot provide the results they need due to a limitation of the camera, etc. then they'll look elsewhere. I feel the same way, and I consider the Pentax system sufficient for my needs for now.

Besides, I like being a little different from the masses in my equipment choice...

Regards,
Marc
08-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Pentax Fanatics...

It is amusing to me that many "Pentaxians" sound more like shareholders than just customers.

On the other site, there are a couple of regulars that you would swear are being paid to attack anyone who says anything remotely anti - Pentax or remotely pro other manufacturers' products.

There are the odd episodes of that here, but, thankfully, few fanatics.

I don't get it.
Closed Thread