Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I really enjoyed the photos of Beavers Bend. I'm headed up that way in a little over a month for a vacation.
Thanks. If you've never been to Beavers Bend...as a photographer, you'll like it. I used to take a week of vacation every fall (generally about the 3rd week of October) and camp out at Beavers Bend just to shoot the foliage.

08-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Thanks. If you've never been to Beavers Bend...as a photographer, you'll like it. I used to take a week of vacation every fall (generally about the 3rd week of October) and camp out at Beavers Bend just to shoot the foliage.
Thanks for the info!!! I might push it back to Oct then. I work for Texas Parks and Wildlife and will probably be relocating to Ray Roberts Lake SP shortly. That way I could get the move out of the way first.

Are dogs OK? I have a 9 year old black lab mix and I just don't go anywhere without him.
08-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #228
Pentaxian

Thanks for the info!!! I might push it back to Oct then. I work for Texas Parks and Wildlife and will probably be relocating to Ray Roberts Lake SP shortly. That way I could get the move out of the way first.

Are dogs OK? I have a 9 year old black lab mix and I just don't go anywhere without him.
Sweet! I work for the Okla. Dept. of Tourism! But I had been going to Beavers Bend for a long time before going there became part of my job. For what it's worth, all of the pics I posted were taken just off the road that drives through Beavers Bend. I envy you living on Ray Roberts Lake. I'm not as into bass fishing as I used to be, but at one time, living on Ray Roberts Lake or Lake Fork was one of my dreams.
08-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #229
Veteran Member

Sweet! I work for the Okla. Dept. of Tourism! But I had been going to Beavers Bend for a long time before going there became part of my job. For what it's worth, all of the pics I posted were taken just off the road that drives through Beavers Bend. I envy you living on Ray Roberts Lake. I'm not as into bass fishing as I used to be, but at one time, living on Ray Roberts Lake or Lake Fork was one of my dreams.
I just started with TPWD last November after many years working in Higher Education. I've been to Lake Murray a couple of times so I was looking for somewhere new to go. This looks like just the ticket. I'll be tent camping and am really excited about it.

The Ray Roberts opportunity would be a really good one for me. It's an Interpretation job which is what I want. Right now I'm outside of DFW, but would like to be a bit further out of the city.

Your photo gallery is really impressive.

08-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #230
Pentaxian

I just started with TPWD last November after many years working in Higher Education. I've been to Lake Murray a couple of times so I was looking for somewhere new to go. This looks like just the ticket. I'll be tent camping and am really excited about it.

The Ray Roberts opportunity would be a really good one for me. It's an Interpretation job which is what I want. Right now I'm outside of DFW, but would like to be a bit further out of the city.

Your photo gallery is really impressive.
I'm glad you like the gallery. If it's any consolation, watch the temps on the weather reports. It's almost always a few degrees cooler in the Beavers Bend area than anywhere else in Oklahoma. Oh...and don't leave any food out if you're tent camping. The raccoons will steal you blind!
08-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #231
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by Blue
...However, Pentax doesn't acknowledge the existence of film shooters or they would still build a film body. The move to eliminate the aperture has opened up a can of
CanofWorms
for use of new DA lenses and the 100mm WR on a lot of vintage film bodies including the mighty LX, MX and K2. What I am getting at here is don't expect Pentax to officially address this until if and when they do actually unveil a ff body.
Why should Pentax continue to provide any legacy support of the camera models you mentioned? These models have long been discontinued and to my knowledge perhaps there might still be spare parts for the MX and LX but on a availability basis. Most companies don't keep spares parts of offer support for more than a couple of years. Certainly Pentax has fully embraced digital photography with no film cameras being offered for sale for many years now. Time to look forward because Pentax or any other camera company doesn't make money pandering to users of legacy gear. I do agree with you that Pentax will only make any announcement for any supposed new camera until they are good and ready.
You obviously didn't read the post I responded to. Go back and read it an then read my post again. I didn't say Pentax should or should not support those old bodies. What I said was is that its hard for Pentax to officially recognize the use of their lenses on a full frame digital sensor when not such dSLR exists at present. Furthermore, it would be illogical for them to do so.

Why did you edit out the first sentence of my post (highlighted in blue)? It looks like an attempt to misconstrue what I said because it changes the whole context of my post. The ellipsis (. . . ) should only be used to delete parts of a post that isn't pertinent to a response.

QuoteQuote:
Given they don't have a sensor out at present larger than APS-C, it would be awkward for them to say any given lens would cover a larger sensor. That said, all the D FA lenses do cover film. However, Pentax doesn't acknowledge the existence of film shooters or they would still build a film body. The move to eliminate the aperture has opened up a can of

for use of new DA lenses and the 100mm WR on a lot of vintage film bodies including the mighty LX, MX and K2. What I am getting at here is don't expect Pentax to officially address this until if and when they do actually unveil a ff body.

Last edited by Blue; 08-22-2010 at 01:22 PM.
08-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Your statement was:

"...the need for high-quality stills will only be an enthusiast market...."

Only enthusiasts will take high-quality photos? No typologies? No art photography? No forensic and crime scene photos? Will photojournalism completely die? Dental and medical photos?

All answered with a resounding: No. There are a multitude of reasons and areas where extremely high fidelity images are wanted and necessary.
Typology and art photography seem to very strongly fall into the "enthusiast" category, at least if one doesn't take enthusiast to be a pejorative.

Forensic and crime scene photos, like dental and medical photos, are specialized niches which can be served by specialized equipment.

And photojournalism is arguably already dead.

08-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #233
Veteran Member

I'm glad you like the gallery. If it's any consolation, watch the temps on the weather reports. It's almost always a few degrees cooler in the Beavers Bend area than anywhere else in Oklahoma. Oh...and don't leave any food out if you're tent camping. The raccoons will steal you blind!
Oh yes, I am very familiar with raccoons. It's kind of hard to get too upset with them.

The colder the better for me. I'm originally from this area, but I lived in New England for a long time. I had to move back to Texas because my parents were getting older and needed some help.

I'm also being encouraged to look at a job at Palo Duro Canyon. I'm not so sure on that one. The park is really stunning, but I'm not sure how I would feel about living in the Panhandle. I think it's love it or hate it kind of thing.
09-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #234
Veteran Member

I guess the new FF glass that Sony is rolling out at photokina is proof that Sony is abandoning FF.

That 500mm lens is pretty nice looking.
09-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #235
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I guess the new FF glass that Sony is rolling out at photokina is proof that Sony is abandoning FF.

That 500mm lens is pretty nice looking.
Is that 500 mock-up for the NEX or full-frame? Damn, they have an AF Zeiss T* 24/2 coming out. I bet that will hurt some bank accounts.

Edit: Based on the metal and size of the 500mm mockup, its FF. However, it will likely cost 10x the price of the recently discontinued AF 500/8 mirror lens.

Last edited by Blue; 09-21-2010 at 12:56 PM.
09-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Is that 500 mock-up for the NEX or full-frame? Damn, they have an AF Zeiss T* 24/2 coming out. I bet that will hurt some bank accounts.

Edit: Based on the metal and size of the 500mm mockup, its FF. However, it will likely cost 10x the price of the recently discontinued AF 500/8 mirror lens.
What appears to be the A7xx is on display and by all rumors it will not have the same 16MP sensor as the K-5 and D7000. 18MP sensor to compete with the 7D.

The A9xx will be the big fish. The Canon 1Ds IV has not been released yet, and a lot of people are expecting to see it at the show. Rumor is that Canon and Sony are playing chicken. Sony is waiting to see what Canon is going to release before releasing the A9xx. Sony does not want to get blindsided again like they did with the 5DII and HD video.