07-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
route directory
or root?

Took me about 2 minutes to update it.

QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
What does one do with the " level on screen " after pushing 3 times info after starting up. You see a airplane level like screen with leveler but what to do with this one ? (just to show Nikon that WE can do this style of leveler too ?)
right, instead of better noise performance improvement.

Last edited by supertrac; 07-29-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: add some words. reply to op in one post.
07-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
When I press INFO a couple of times nothing happens. Whats the trick?
You have to enable the electronic level first through the menu. Press "Menu" and then 2x "right". You'll see the option right there.
07-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
When I press INFO a couple of times nothing happens. Whats the trick?
Does not work in live view.
I can see the level indicator being useful with tripod work.

Cheers, Mike.
07-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #49
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by supertrac Quote
or root?

Took me about 2 minutes to update it.

right, instead of better noise performance improvement.
You expect that from a firmware upgrade?

07-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #50

AF in Liveview using halfpress is indeed a great improvement. Not only does it improve the logical user interface of the camera itself, but this also means that we now have AF in LV via cable remote!

Just give us tehtered shooting/usb-remote in fw 1.20 and we'll be even more satisfied
07-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
What does one do with the " level on screen " after pushing 3 times info after starting up. You see a airplane level like screen with leveler but what to do with this one ? (just to show Nikon that WE can do this style of leveler too ?)
Just updated. The rear LCD level seems incredibly helpful when using a tripod.
07-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Route Directory

I've looked all over for the route directory without success. Perhaps I should try Google Maps?

It appears that the translator learned Commonwealth English, if somewhat imperfectly

No complaints - better done that many a Japanese document translated for an English-speaking audience.

Anyway, I'm off to a British Web site and so must re-set my rooter.

07-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
You expect that from a firmware upgrade?
I can't expect that?
oh and please don't tell me it depends on the sensor!

Last edited by supertrac; 07-30-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: add some words
07-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #54
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I can't expect that?
Assuming you are talking about raw noise, I would think not. The thing I don't understand though, is this: everyone knows the K-7 isn't class-leading when it comes to high-iso noise. It isn't exactly a secret. It's a given, a fact of life. Why then does this topic have to be mentioned each and every time the slightest opportunity presents itself? Please just deal with it. Make up your own mind. You are free to choose whatever equipment you want to buy.

Will a firmware update change the K-7 noise? I don't think so, but perhaps I am wrong. That's not the issue though. In the same way that you wouldn't buy a car and hope it runs faster after the first service job, I would not buy a camera and hope high-iso will improve when firmware X.Y.Z is released. Because you'll probably just get more and more disappointed over time, waiting and thinking "when are they EVER going to fix high-iso performance". While at the same time you could have just faced the fact that the high-iso performance isn't class-leading, and enjoy your camera. That's what I like to do, and I tend to think it's a much better way to spend my time.

Just my opinion.
07-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Noise managment in free SW upgrade

I can't expect that?
Of course you can expect that. Expectations are free, even Great ones. (OK, so I read a book once.)

But buyers are chasing sensitivity the way they are/were chasing MP. If I were Pentax, I'd want to keep the NR upgrade to the next sensor/body upgrade. It's a big deal to many and would likely drive a good share of the sales.

And please take note of the word "free" in the title of this post. As I've noted elsewhere, I think there's an additional revenue stream in paid-for enhancements if Pentax can work out the mechanics and the numbers work re: new body sales.

But if NR SW is based on or optimized for the particular sensor (can someone help me understand this relation?), Pentax may not want to develop two code streams - one for the new sensor type and another for the older model.
07-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #56
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Assuming you are talking about raw noise, I would think not. The thing I don't understand though, is this: everyone knows the K-7 isn't class-leading when it comes to high-iso noise. It isn't exactly a secret. It's a given, a fact of life. Why then does this topic have to be mentioned each and every time the slightest opportunity presents itself? Please just deal with it. Make up your own mind. You are free to choose whatever equipment you want to buy.

Will a firmware update change the K-7 noise? I don't think so, but perhaps I am wrong. That's not the issue though. In the same way that you wouldn't buy a car and hope it runs faster after the first service job, I would not buy a camera and hope high-iso will improve when firmware X.Y.Z is released. Because you'll probably just get more and more disappointed over time, waiting and thinking "when are they EVER going to fix high-iso performance". While at the same time you could have just faced the fact that the high-iso performance isn't class-leading, and enjoy your camera. That's what I like to do, and I tend to think it's a much better way to spend my time.

Just my opinion.
Thank you sir but I don't need another online course here. PEACE!
07-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Of course you can expect that. Expectations are free, even Great ones. (OK, so I read a book once.)

But buyers are chasing sensitivity the way they are/were chasing MP. If I were Pentax, I'd want to keep the NR upgrade to the next sensor/body upgrade. It's a big deal to many and would likely drive a good share of the sales.

And please take note of the word "free" in the title of this post. As I've noted elsewhere, I think there's an additional revenue stream in paid-for enhancements if Pentax can work out the mechanics and the numbers work re: new body sales.

But if NR SW is based on or optimized for the particular sensor (can someone help me understand this relation?), Pentax may not want to develop two code streams - one for the new sensor type and another for the older model.
You know I'm more than happy with my K-7 actually and the main reason I switched system from Oly was because the DR of K-7.
07-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #58
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I've looked all over for the route directory without success. Perhaps I should try Google Maps?
Hahaha...good one, you made my day bro. Gotta go back to work.
07-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my Win7 is killing me!

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The downloaded file results in FWDC204B (BIN file) for 10.752 MB. I will check the file size on the card before actually performing the update.
JP
I have no authority (solo user & Administrator) to copy this file to my K-7! Even when not using .BIN tag it stops me! This 10-second transfer has wasted 15 minutes of time now; even xferring to a card reader isn't working!

Could some geek pass along a clue as to where in Win7 I can grant myself that authority? Thanks!!
07-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Could some geek pass along a clue as to where in Win7 I can grant myself that authority? Thanks!!
Boot from this CD:

Fedora Project