Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, tempting - my system was dual-boot w/SuSE before it became Win7'd. It's absurd that such a simple drag and drop is somehow disabled, that's too basic to be such a pain.

I'll beat it soon, and join everyone in the new & improved K-7 world!

Updated: sent file to chip in my netbook, now all loaded up and happy. Definitely less than 2 minutes to "COMPLETE". I haven't owned this camera long enough to tell a difference in speeds, but I'm happy that Pentax plays fair and keeps their cameras consistent with firmware features. Thanks Hoya!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 07-30-2010 at 06:01 PM.
07-31-2010, 01:10 AM   #62
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by supertrac Quote
oh and please don't tell me it depends on the sensor!
No it does not. According to Falk Lumo, the noise is caused by the VGA amplifiers that amplify the analog signal before it's converted into digital. Therefore, the most you can expect from firmware upgrades is improved noise reduction - that is, in the imaging engine. But Pentax has always been about details over noise, so I would not expect that either.

Like I said, best way is to deal with it. The K-7 has been out for about a year now. This is the product as offered by Pentax. Any improvements are bonuses.

Last edited by starbase218; 07-31-2010 at 01:51 AM.
07-31-2010, 02:22 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
According to Falk Lumo, the noise is caused by the VGA amplifiers that amplify the analog signal
Thanks for the quote. But it was GordonBGood who discovered that first. I must have cited him. Hopefully I did ...
07-31-2010, 02:39 AM   #64
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for the quote. But it was GordonBGood who discovered that first. I must have cited him. Hopefully I did ...
Just looked it up. You did .

07-31-2010, 03:03 AM   #65
Veteran Member

edit: Figured it out.... I "lost" the "readme" file among all of my documents. I love the new level!

Last edited by yeatzee; 07-31-2010 at 03:22 AM.
07-31-2010, 03:06 AM   #66
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I can't figure out how the hell im supposed to do this. I click download here -http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-7_s.html and save right? Than what? I drag and dropped it onto the SD card and put it into my camera and nothing happened. I formatted the card also.

Help!
Did you read what's on the page?
07-31-2010, 03:22 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Did you read what's on the page?
Yes i did.

edit: Only the readme file tells you to hold the menu button while turning the camera on.... and like I said I couldn't find the readme file.

Last edited by yeatzee; 07-31-2010 at 03:28 AM.
07-31-2010, 03:27 AM   #68
Inactive Account

Yes i did.
In case you haven't, also read through readme.txt. In case you have, specifically what is it you do not understand?
07-31-2010, 03:29 AM   #69
Veteran Member

In case you haven't, also read through readme.txt. In case you have, specifically what is it you do not understand?
I edited my original post while you quoted me apparently. i figured it out a couple of minutes ago
07-31-2010, 03:36 AM   #70
Inactive Account

I edited my original post while you quoted me apparently. i figured it out a couple of minutes ago
Ok, great .
07-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition to the above, film reversal mode is great. I have to sort lightroom out and will post examples in the next few days. I really like the green-blue shift on grass and trees.
As noted above, it is a pity that the LCD panel cannot be switched on via button (AE lock?), rather than being on or off. Having done some time lapse at night over the last week, I could definitely have used this to preserve battery power.
As a manual mode user, the only complaint I would have is the removal of the sliding scale (used in the level display) and replacement with numbers. But thank goodness it is there - usuability just went up a few notches in M!
07-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Kamerauppdateringar - PENTAX Nordic

No 1.10 on Pentax swedish site yet. lol?
07-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm running Win. 7 Pro and had no problem draging it to the SD card on my K-7. Not sure why yours would be different.
08-01-2010, 03:31 AM   #74

Does the file that is down loaded need to be unzipped? or do I just put it as it is onto my SD card. insert into my K-7 then hold down menu and turn on?
08-01-2010, 03:44 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unzip it and put the .bin file in the root directory of your SD Card. Then, turn on the camera while holding down the menu button.