Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 05:37 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Important to format the card with the camera, or else it might not work. didn't for me when I formated in my mac.

08-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #77

Photos: Gallery
I got it sorted. I was not looking hard enough.
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Something else that I noticed may have changed with FW 1.10...

I remember several users (including myself) complaining about the rendering of the preview images on the K-7, and how it was difficult to determine what areas of the photo are critically sharp w/o zooming to 4x or something. On my K200D (and according to others, K20D etc), the critically sharp areas would *snap* into focus on the screen after about a half second delay (presumably downsizing the photo). The K200D would not perform no anti-aliasing on the downsized image, so the really sharp parts of the photo had "jaggies," the artifacts that cause lines to look bad when they aren't smoothed on a pixelated display. When the K-7 first came out, I remember not being able to get this positive feedback from the downsampled preview image.

I can pleasantly report now that I can definitely see the jaggies, and the image *snaps* into this processed state, allowing the user to see if the image is in good focus without requiring a complete zoom-in. I'm guessing that they just did away with the anti-alias filter that made the downsampled preview files look smoother.

If this is indeed the case, thanks Pentax! Can someone else back me up on this?
08-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
I can pleasantly report now that I can definitely see the jaggies, and the image *snaps* into this processed state
Hmmmh,

I checked with a roof texture. The image on the rear LCD updates after about 0.5s into a higher resolution version. Both versions (before and after the "update") show about the same amount of Moir pattern on the roof texture - only that the Moir pattern changes with the "update".

So, the downsampling routine is such that it doesn't prevent Moir. Bilinear resampling would prevent it. However, I cannot say what algorithm they use to downsample. Nearest neighbor would preserve most of the Moir pattern.

I also checked if one can eventually see individual pixels on the rear LCD. Doesn't seem so. In upscaling, the pixels seem to be still interpolated.

08-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
If this is indeed the case, thanks Pentax! Can someone else back me up on this?
Hmmm. I'm not seeing it.
08-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #81
Veteran Member

P-TTL Flash Woes

Ok, was messing around the past couple days using SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2 lens in combination with Pentax AF540FGZ flash on the K-7. When using P-TTL mode, I noticed a few strange misfires (the flash would hit for full power, causing blatant overexposure). At the time, I didn't really think about it, wondering if my flash contacts were dirty or something.

But it happened multiple times over the past few days. Tonight I decided to mess around a little bit and test it. There seems to be some problems when using the flash w/ this lens...seems inconsistent...Here are 2 shots taken back to back, same lens A50mm F1.2, same settings: P-TTL mode (bounced on ceiling), Manual flash zoom 58mm, center-weighted average metering. Happens in both M and Av mode.

Other weirdness...I tested for different zoom settings on the flash, and it didn't happen for A(16mm), M(16mm), M(19mm), M(24), M(34)....but started happening for M(48) and M(58)...not sure why that would matter, but it DID.

I haven't seen any weirdness with no flash mounted in Av mode w/ the lens.

Seems like it was more difficult to induce the effect on other lenses, but I did get some other really bad random over exposures with other A lenses.

I know Pentax P-TTL isn't class leading, but I don't remember having such issues with it before I updated the firmware.

Anyone else have any similar issues yet? Hope they didn't let a bad bug sneak into this firmware release.
Attached Images

08-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Hmmm. I'm not seeing it.
You may need high contrast fine textures (rim lit hair w/ darker background, for example) to really notice it. The hair no longer appears as a smooth line as I think it used to, but instead is more jaggy.

08-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two K-7s updated flawlessly.
08-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Final verdict - I HATE the new firmware update. The AF in liveview with the shutter button is fantastic *IF* you are using AF lenses.... if not it will be a severe pain in the butt. Trying to focus with the F/1.2 lens with liveview is harder than using the viewfinder now, because I cannot hold the shutter half down until the subject is in focus, and quickly take the shot. Instead I get a half second delay and a half second of the screen being black before the shot is taken.... usually resulting in the subject moving just barely out of focus.

Not happy!

Pentax, please add an option to disable this! I love the new level and will miss it dearly if i have to revert back to 1.03 (which i have no clue how to do anyways).
08-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Cant you just simply switch to MF and problem solved?

Jason
08-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Instead I get a half second delay and a half second of the screen being black before the shot is taken
Not happy!
yeatzee, there are three ways to work around this (any of the three will do):
  1. Disable phase autofocus for Liveview (revert back to contrast autofocus).
  2. Configure the AF button to "disable AF operation" and press AF in parallel with shutter.
  3. Configure AF operation to be AF button, not half press (however, this applies to normal shooting too and therefore, may not be acceptable for you)
The behaviour you describe is a bug which always existed but only bites now after AF in LV is on shutter half press.
08-02-2010, 02:00 AM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
if i have to revert back to 1.03 (which i have no clue how to do anyways).
AFAIK all you have to do to revert is follow the standard upgrade procedure with your preferred version.

This has all of the major release versions including 1.03. Handy if anyone wants to revert for testing purposes etc. Thanks flikkser!
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
08-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Fantastic....

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Λειτουργία *κθεσης M και X, είναι πλ*ον συμβατό με την άποψη του ταχύμετρου επίπεδο στην οθόνη εικονοσκόπιο και του πίνακα απεικόνισης.
Thank God, I've been waiting SO long for this....

For a while, I thought they were going to Λειτουργία *κθεσης M και X, ναι πλ*ονμε την άποψη του ταχύμετρου επίπεδο στην ικονοσκόπιο και του πίνακα απεικόνισης. That would've been a mess, eh?

Cheers,
Cameron

PS - not all of us read computer Japanese...
08-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Cant you just simply switch to MF and problem solved?

Jason
Thats the BS part about it... I am in MF!
08-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
yeatzee, there are three ways to work around this (any of the three will do):
  1. Disable phase autofocus for Liveview (revert back to contrast autofocus).
  2. Configure the AF button to "disable AF operation" and press AF in parallel with shutter.
  3. Configure AF operation to be AF button, not half press (however, this applies to normal shooting too and therefore, may not be acceptable for you)
The behaviour you describe is a bug which always existed but only bites now after AF in LV is on shutter half press.
Thank you so much Falconeye! The first was a perfect solution for me because I only use live view for manual focusing my fast lenses since my K-7 doesn't have a split prism focusing screen. Yay! I get to keep the new level