Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The downloaded file results in FWDC204B (BIN file) for 10.752 MB. I will check the file size on the card before actually performing the update.
Thanks for the hint.
JP

07-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The downloaded file results in FWDC204B (BIN file) for 10.752 MB. I will check the file size on the card before actually performing the update.
Thanks for the hint.
JP
I installed in this morning. 10.752MB in the BIN file.
07-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got it!

I am quite pleased to see that this (large) electronic level nicely displaying after a third press of the Info button and that it also shows in the viewfinder/top LCD screen ...
Next thing: I was frustrated about when I used the M mode, the exposure "bar" disappeared ... not anymore after the update. Another nice point.
Finally, just to test it, the LV worked quite well even under low light situation here, right now, in my very small "office". Another nice surprise was that I also could see the AF assist lamp light up while looking into the rear monitor; but maybe this was already there? To be frank, I have never used LV nor tested video.
Now for the "film reversal" function ... where exactly do I find this? Is this now in the camera or with the Pentax Utilities? What is it for?

Cheers!

JP
07-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Ditto

07-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
The autofocus is definitely faster with the 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR kit lenses. It is also faster with the portrait and contrast live view focus settings, but the bottom metered focus option for live view is still as slow as before.

Hitting Info twice while viewing the level is neat, thanks to whoever pointed that out. I'll probably still leave the level off, but may give it another try later on. I don't generally have an issue with crooked images, and I can photoshop them if needed.

As for the film reversal mode, it is accessed by pressing the right button on the four way controller. This is the Custom Image button, and the new mode is the second option from the right. The shots seem to take on a yellow-orange cast in a few test images.

Wikipedia to the rescue:
Reversal film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
07-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #36

Did anyone else experience an endless loop in the description > download area of the site? I'd click the OS link on what I thought was the download site and it'd take me to the description, which would link to the download site with the OS which would lead me back to the firmware description.

Either way, I had to go to the support site and fish out the actual download link.
PC: http://www.pentaximaging.com/images/temp/63415909504465270436568k7_e110w.exe
MAC: http://www.pentaximaging.com/images/temp/63415909714368833698088k7_e110m.zip

Or follow the tree:
Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
(Cameras > Digital SLR > K-7 > Firmware > Submit button)

Emphasis on following the instructions!
07-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Try another browser: this is usually the answer to such problems.

07-29-2010, 02:49 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Did anybody else notice that now using live view with shake reduction enabled is almost noiseless?
07-29-2010, 03:15 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I am so happy with the new visibility of the horizon levelling on lcd screen and top lcd: finally easy levelling with belly height shots. So much more "stealth".
Also, great aid in correct levelling in portrait mode (vertical shots) with longer (older manual) less stabil lenses. Tried this morning, am very happy. Was on the verge of buying a wright angle finder, not need it as hard anymore.
07-29-2010, 03:18 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote
Did anybody else notice that now using live view with shake reduction enabled is almost noiseless?
no

(+ten chars)
07-29-2010, 04:23 AM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
no

(+ten chars)
Oops, my fault. I was using the FA 50mm 1.4 and live view+SR was almost noiseless. Just tried the FA* 28-70 and the noise is still there.
07-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #42
Nubi

OMG. After the update, my K-7 turned into K-5.
07-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Updated. I like the level as well when you press INFO a couple of times. Sure will come in handy when on a tripod. Also, the AF with the shutter button with LV is a HUGE improvement. On a similar note, if you are in LV and hit the INFO button ,the subject is magnified 1 to 3 levels of magnification....has this always been the case? Sure makes for fine tuning the focus much much easier...also works for video.

Jason
07-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
On a similar note, if you are in LV and hit the INFO button ,the subject is magnified 1 to 3 levels of magnification....has this always been the case? Sure makes for fine tuning the focus much much easier...
Jason, yes, isn't new. In manual focus, it's actually 1 to 5 levels

But Pentax really needs to upgrade their K-mount spec. An SDM lens really should report back to the body if the focus wheel is turned (requires just a tiny sensor). Because then LV could autozoom to help the focus. All SLD cameras have this so sooner or later, Pentax has to do it anyway. Better to do it sooner than later
07-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #45
Veteran Member

When I press INFO a couple of times nothing happens. Whats the trick?