Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Yeah, the 20mm is really remarkable, though its natural quality is perhaps disguised a bit by the correction the camera does in-body.

09-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #137
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
No kidding!!! I've never seen so many people who want a Nikon or Canon and just won't go out and buy one....... .
If I wanted one I would buy one or use the one at work.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I must admit I have sort of morbid fascination with this forum. Honest to goodness, I've never knew there were this many unhappy camera owners. I just kinda figured you got a camera and had fun with it whatever it's limitations. Boy was I off base there. On the other hand, this forum does present a fascinating study in self immolating masochism that I just can't turn away from. It's really like that proverbial car wreck that you don't want to look at but just can't stop yourself.
Actually, you really need to hang out in ALL the forums here before making such a blanket statement. There are many people that hang out in the "Post Your Images", "Mini-Games and Challenges", the lens clubs in the "Pentax SLR Lenses" and the film camera that only occasionally post in this forum or more that NEVER post in here. It is very intermittent for even for me to post in here. Most of the past couple of weeks has been mainly due to the Photokina buildup.

Edit: There are actually quite a few people here that run multiple systems that don't pay much attention in here.

Last edited by Blue; 09-20-2010 at 07:02 PM.
09-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #138
Veteran Member

I expect good things from the rumored viewfinder in the GH2, if this rumor is true. I've seen that Epson viewfinder, it is a big improvement on anything I've seen in a current camera.
09-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #139

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I expect good things from the rumored viewfinder in the GH2, if this rumor is true. I've seen that Epson viewfinder, it is a big improvement on anything I've seen in a current camera.

No longer a rumor!!!!! GH2 has been announced.

"It also has a 460,000 dot 3-inch wide-view touch panel and 1.5 M dot EVF."

09-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnas Quote
"It also has a 460,000 dot 3-inch wide-view touch panel and 1.5 M dot EVF."
Sigh. Now I'm waiting for that Fuji rangefinder *and* the Panasonic to show up in stores....
09-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigh. Now I'm waiting for that Fuji rangefinder *and* the Panasonic to show up in stores....
this is getting pretty interesting.
09-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #142

LOL, How many systems you planning on running? And what to tell the family? They're sure to stage an intervention!

I have to admit that I am very intrigued by the VF specs on the Panasonic, but not excited about the 4/3 format. I am hoping that Pentax (or someone else) will release a great APS-C camera with a VF like that (even bigger VF image!). On the other hand, I am pretty sure I will not be able to resist that Fuji rangefinder either
09-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #143
Veteran Member

A pretty disappointing Photokina as far as mirrorless systems are concerned. We don't even have prototypes to show for....

09-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #144
Veteran Member

At least C/N didn't show anything. This means that Pentax isn't further behind the competition.

If they have something up their sleves, it may be better to wait until after the big show so it gets more attention.
09-23-2010, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #145
Veteran Member

Kevil

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
I'll put in my .1 pence, I want to see Pentax do a nex style evil with full K mount
I've always said that an EVIL cannot have the K-mount because of the smaller registration distance.

But I thought about it again.

There could be a KEVIL mount specification, which allows all K-mount lenses to work but which allows KEVIL lenses to stick 40mm into the box. The K-mount diameter should be large enough to allow for this in combination with the small APS-C sensor diameter. KEVIL lenses may support additional contacts so they don't rely on the mechanical aperture coupling. Which allows for cheap electronic-only KEVILs down the road.

A KEVIL with e.g. a 35mm lens would then be flush at its front, the lens would not protrude.

So, it actually is feasible and would be a unique selling point for Pentax EVILs.

You could even make a dSLR with more space in the mirror box (move the AF module, mirror and sides out of the way a bit and with a permanent mirror up mode which allows KEVIL lenses to be mount. Such a KEVIL SLR would have a hybrid viewfinder (like the Fuji X100 does) which is a good thing to do anyway.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-23-2010 at 04:18 AM.
09-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I've always said that an EVIL cannot have the K-mount because of the smaller registration distance.

But I thought about it again.
In cooperation with Samsung maybe?

Samsung disrupts camera market hierarchy

Including 3D:
QuoteQuote:
Park also said that the company may produce a camera capable of taking three-dimensional (3D) images sometime next year, but admitted that it will be a digital guinea pig, saying that the ``real’’ 3D cameras that are suited for conventional use won’t probably be available until after 2012.

``As the issue with 3D televisions is providing a glass-free viewer experience, 3D cameras has a similar challenge for achieving a one-lens, one-imaging sensor approach. The two-lens, two-sensor 3D camera released by Fuji is still too expensive and inconvenient for users,’’ Park said.
09-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #147
Pentaxian

There could be a KEVIL mount specification, which allows all K-mount lenses to work but which allows KEVIL lenses to stick 40mm into the box. The K-mount diameter should be large enough to allow for this in combination with the small APS-C sensor diameter.
Or, as some have suggested, the mount could be movable between two positions. It could automatically recognize the registration distance of the mounted lens. And it could even use the extended position for extra close up range. The question is if it's possible to make this sturdy enough?

If this is possible... just think of a FF camera with this feature. It could come with new non-retrofocus wide angle lenses and new short and collapsible standard zooms, and still support all current lenses, even pure APS-C DA lenses. The latter would have automatic cropping, which should work seamlessly with an EVF. If it comes with a sensor with at least 28mp, cropped images would be at least 12mp.
09-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The question is if it's possible to make this sturdy enough?
Wrong question. Question is if it can be made cheap enough which I heavily doubt.

EVILs are the new P&S. Soon $300, eventually down to $100 ...
09-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
LOL, How many systems you planning on running? And what to tell the family? They're sure to stage an intervention!
I've currently got three. Film SLR (late 70's manual Minolta), Pentax DSLR, and a film rangefinder that needs replacing. The DSLR system might get shelved (especially if I switch to digital "rangefinder") but the film SLR system will always be there.
09-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #150
Veteran Member

Wrong question. Question is if it can be made cheap enough which I heavily doubt.

EVILs are the new P&S. Soon $300, eventually down to $100 ...
To survive there, Pentax needs to find a partner (like Samsung...)