Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #211
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
He was implying that Pentax sees more of a future in EVIL's then they do with full frame DSLR's, so they are focusing on thier upcoming mirrorless camera instead of full frame. For the record I think that's a smart move. As much as I'd love a full frame K5 myself, I'm in the minority on that one.

Perhaps Pentax could appease both camps and make a full frame EVIL. Yeah right
Where have you seen them state that they are more interested in EVIL more than FF dslr? They have stated they have been watching the situation at best. Plus, if that's what he is implying, he is also implying that they are working on a ff evil. It seems more likely in that case to keep the K-mount.

10-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #212
Site Supporter

Back to the interchangeable X100 type concept. The ltd series aforementioned would be a nice but relatively expensive system (very economical compared to Leica). It would also take the new DA 35/2.4. The other possibility is they could come out with a WR body along with a WR version of the DA 35 along with 2 or 3 additional lenses. The WR lenses could be cross marketed to both platforms.

Edit: Plus, they avoid creating a new platform that creates a new mount that could end up orphaned.
10-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #213
Veteran Member

as some one that constantly only uses the the Pentax 20mm or the 21mm on my camera. and 99% shoots in the busy streets of NYC , I always have this dilemma should I get one of these evil cameras. the worst thing that can happen is not to have a camera on you when you want to take a shot.

I am pretty sure I will stick to pentax this year and get the K-5 with the 21mm its one of the best street kits out there.

but the GH2 samples online as well as the videos on YouTube looks very tasty as well
10-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Where have you seen them state that they are more interested in EVIL more than FF dslr? They have stated they have been watching the situation at best. Plus, if that's what he is implying, he is also implying that they are working on a ff evil. It seems more likely in that case to keep the K-mount.
I don't think anyone has read that they are indeed more interested in EVIL's than FF, this entire thread is pure speculation. All we know is that Hoya has spoken a number of times about an upcoming EVIL. We also know they think EVIL's will take 30% of the global market share in the very near future. So it's reasonable to surmise that they are more interested in EVIL's than FF DSLR's at the moment.

I simply have no idea why you think he or anyone else implied that Pentax is working on a FF EVIL. I've read nothing that has made me think that for one second.

10-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #215
Site Supporter

I don't think anyone has read that they are indeed more interested in EVIL's than FF, this entire thread is pure speculation. All we know is that Hoya has spoken a number of times about an upcoming EVIL. We also know they think EVIL's will take 30% of the global market share in the very near future. So it's reasonable to surmise that they are more interested in EVIL's than FF DSLR's at the moment.
Do you really know that? They made the statement about the global market but never made a definitive statement that they would be releasing an EVIL. They said if they did, it would be unique.

II simply have no idea why you think he or anyone else implied that Pentax is working on a FF EVIL. I've read nothing that has made me think that for one second.
Your translation about what he implied by that statement was incorrect. See his post. This is what he meant:

QuoteQuote:
If they have a new mount on it's way that they expect to take marketshare from K-mount dslr in a few years, it might be hard to get investmants back from a FF line.
Apparently, he thinks Pentax is planning on cannabilizing their k-mount dSLR with the release of a EVIL with a new mount. That would be a grave mistake imho. They would risk orphaning both mounts.
10-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #216
Veteran Member

Do you really know that?
No, I clearly said this entire thread is speculation.
10-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnas Quote
That would be something like an Olympus C-8080.
[...]
It's nothing like the very good EVFs you get on the Panasonic G1, GH1, G2 & GH2.
Thanks for the hint, but wasn't that Olympus C-8080 either. More square. Doesn't matter. The camera didn't look interesting anyway otherwise I would have looked of course
Exactly!, unless it was one of those cameras or an EP-2 or EPL1 with clip on EVF then you shouldn't form any opinion on EVF's yet.
I know. I've seen the good ones too. I only wanted to say that a VF brightness matching full sunlight is't a trivial thing. The eye would adapt but not w/o some fatigue. I'm not sure if the best EVFs already offer daylight brightness levels. The rear screens do not as otherwise, the eyepiece versions wouldn't be so important.

(Typically, a surface lit by sunlight is 10x brighter than any computer or camera monitor today. So, even if an EVF looks bright in the shadow, it may appear dark outdoor in the sun. That is what I would guess. I haven't look into this though. It is evident that a camera with EVF turned towards the sun won't burn your retina (may still burn the sensor though, I guess) )

Last edited by falconeye; 10-05-2010 at 09:29 AM.
10-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #218
Veteran Member

Apparently, he thinks Pentax is planning on cannabilizing their k-mount dSLR with the release of a EVIL with a new mount. That would be a grave mistake imho. They would risk orphaning both mounts.
Not planning to cannibilize, but if a modern evil with new mount (a new mount is imo (and most others opinion) a must to keep the system small) it is bound to take market from traditional dslrs.

An evil with old mount is pretty much like sonys new SLT. Not the way of the future, but it keeps the interest up for the a-mount for a while.
10-05-2010, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #219
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think this is pretty much unavoidable, either Pentax come up with an EVIL with a new mount that takes some market share from K-mount cameras, or the competition will. A new mount EVIL camera will also take some market share from other types of cameras, so it is a good chance for Pentax to expand its user base.

In the long run the new mount will be the future of Pentax cameras, just like when they went from m42 to K-mount.
10-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #220
Veteran Member

As long as the new mount will also properly support the old lenses (with good (optional) adapter for aperture as well as focus control) this can be "resolved" by Pentax.
10-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
As long as the new mount will also properly support the old lenses (with good (optional) adapter for aperture as well as focus control) this can be "resolved" by Pentax.
I wonder if they could (or would) make an adapter with a built in screw motor for auto focusing non-SDM lenses. Olympus is supposedly working on a modular camera that can function as either a pure m4/3's camera or as something similar the new Sony A55 for their classic 4/3's users. I'm sure Pentax will do the same. They won't want to piss off their entire user base.

Panasonic and Samsung are lucky, they only had about 15 DSLR users combined between the two of them. So no harm in upsetting such a small number of people
10-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #222
Veteran Member

I wonder if they could (or would) make an adapter with a built in screw motor for auto focusing non-SDM lenses. Olympus is supposedly working on a modular camera that can function as either a pure m4/3's camera or as something similar the new Sony A55 for their classic 4/3's users. I'm sure Pentax will do the same. They won't want to piss off their entire user base.

Panasonic and Samsung are lucky, they only had about 15 DSLR users combined between the two of them. So no harm in upsetting such a small number of people
Pentax already pissed some of their people of with the lack of FF dlsr in their line-up, discontinued legacy lenses and discontinued 1.4x AF teleconverter. recently, they pissed people with their SDM failures, so I'm not that surprised anymore if Pentax disappoints again. the slower AF speed is understandable due to the nature of the screwdrive motor but it doesn't mean that it's impossible to revise or improve it significantly.
10-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #223
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO screwdrive has not much to do with AF speed. Nikon still has (or had?) some screwdriven AF lenses and they focus faster than Pentax lenses.
Thé post important thing is thé motor inside thé camera and AF algorythms.
10-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
IMO screwdrive has not much to do with AF speed.
It does, especially in the case of Pentax. The screwdriven lenses are always faster than the SDM lenses... Give me screwdrive any day, because this cannot be screwed up
10-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #225
Veteran Member

It may require an auxiliary shoe-mount vf for use with additional lenses. For example, the optical in camera vf could be optimized for the 35mm and 40 DA ltd . They could have 2 additional shoe mounts finders, one that worked with the 15mm and 21 ltd and another for the 70mm ltd. Originally, the shoe on rangefinder film bodies was for this very thing. Even Voightlander's current rangefinder lenses come with a matching viewfinder. Even Pentax had a matching viewfinder for their L 43mm/1.8 Special lens for Leica Rangefinders.

Edit: The EF part of the hybrid should work with all 5 lenses.
Thanks, Blue. It makes sense.

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
A zoomable OVF would be an engineering nightmare, and probably only be feasible for a fairly narrow zoom range.
Yeah, I can see that.

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
I continue to preach that EVILs are stupid for big zooms and long glass, those belong on SLRs. EVILs are perfect for semi wide to short tele primes, Thom Hogan notwithstanding I think Fuji has the best understanding of the problem thus far and wisely didn't try to stuff a zoom into the X100.
I agree that a fixed-lense compact rangefinder still has value.

I had to look up that Hogan reference. He raises some good points about the X100 design and the usability issues that could arise. And about what Pentax is doing.