Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have seen some good images from the DP1 and DP2 cameras. Its only real weakness may be the video in comparison to the LX3, but it offsets that with the near aps-c sized sensor.
I wonder if they are going to put the 46mp equivalent chip from the SD1 into the next generation of DP cameras - I would be very interested in the 41mm lens.

10-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #302
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I wonder if they are going to put the 46mp equivalent chip from the SD1 into the next generation of DP cameras - I would be very interested in the 41mm lens.
Well, I'm smitten.... And yes it's a struggle. The LCD is pointless but the little viewfinder (probably too expensive although mine came with used camera) is very accurate. I'm doing some B/W conversions right now in Silver EFX. I think I'm going to be using this camera a lot. It really makes you stop and think because quite frankly the write time for RAW files is beyond unbelievably slow.

I won't know until I print something but there is definitely "something" about this Foveon sensor and B/W. It's quite different and special.

If I had the $ I would seriously look at that new DSLR that Sigma is coming out with. The problem is they have their own mount. I might be able to squeeze out the camera by eating Spam for a couple of months but I don't have the money for yet another set of lenses.

I am going to be listing some K mount stuff on this site as soon as I figure out how to do it. I'm moving (got a promotion- keep in mind when you work for a State Park that's a very relative concept) and am seriously trying to cut it down to what I will actually use.

Plus...... I want a minature potbelly pig. My vet recently adopted one and my dog Stanley just loved the little thing last time we were at her office. The pig's name was Pickles!

As for the DP1 if the price is right and don't mind it's shortcomings I'd go for it. Again, what I found I really liked about was it made me stop and think about what I was shooting.
10-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Well, I'm smitten.... And yes it's a struggle. The LCD is pointless but the little viewfinder (probably too expensive although mine came with used camera) is very accurate. I'm doing some B/W conversions right now in Silver EFX. I think I'm going to be using this camera a lot. It really makes you stop and think because quite frankly the write time for RAW files is beyond unbelievably slow.

I won't know until I print something but there is definitely "something" about this Foveon sensor and B/W. It's quite different and special.

If I had the $ I would seriously look at that new DSLR that Sigma is coming out with. The problem is they have their own mount. I might be able to squeeze out the camera by eating Spam for a couple of months but I don't have the money for yet another set of lenses.

I am going to be listing some K mount stuff on this site as soon as I figure out how to do it. I'm moving (got a promotion- keep in mind when you work for a State Park that's a very relative concept) and am seriously trying to cut it down to what I will actually use.

Plus...... I want a minature potbelly pig. My vet recently adopted one and my dog Stanley just loved the little thing last time we were at her office. The pig's name was Pickles!

As for the DP1 if the price is right and don't mind it's shortcomings I'd go for it. Again, what I found I really liked about was it made me stop and think about what I was shooting.
all we can hope for is a universal or atleast a Sigma/K mount adapter. if not, I think a camera mount conversion is the way to go. I think the AF feature would go out of the window though, unless Sigma incorporates an AF electronic chip.
10-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
all we can hope for is a universal or atleast a Sigma/K mount adapter. if not, I think a camera mount conversion is the way to go. I think the AF feature would go out of the window though, unless Sigma incorporates an AF electronic chip.
I actually saw one on Ebay someone converted to a Leica mount:

SIGMA SD14 Converted to Leica & Leica Vario Elmar lens - eBay (item 250664363636 end time Nov-07-10 14:01:26 PST)

10-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #305
Veteran Member

Yes. a company in the U.K. or somewhere in Europe I think is doing some camera mount conversions like that. and for anyone who is tight on the budget or wanted a cheap Leica lens mounted dslr camera, and as long as you don't require the need for AF, then this is the way to go. and if you are still really hard-pressed regarding the budget, the Voightlander lenses can be of great value.
10-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Yes. a company in the U.K. or somewhere in Europe I think is doing some camera mount conversions like that. and for anyone who is tight on the budget or wanted a cheap Leica lens mounted dslr camera, and as long as you don't require the need for AF, then this is the way to go. and if you are still really hard-pressed regarding the budget, the Voightlander lenses can be of great value.
I would love to get something like that. I manual focus probably 90% of the time. Sadly I wouldn't be able to afford the lenses.

I am really interested in that new Sigma DSLR. I would love to try it out. It doesn't have video which isn't a problem for me.

I have a couple of Sigma lenses. I really like the 10-20mm. I just wish they didn't use such large filters. That really adds to the cost.

I do have the K mount Voigtlander 58mm. That's a really great lens. I note you have the Jupiter 9. Love that one. The one I got was pretty beat up but it's worked really well for me. It's actually one of my favorites. Have you ever tried the Mir 1B (this may not be the right name). It's a 37mm. I would really like to get that one and the Volna 50mm, but that won't be this year for sure.
10-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #307
Veteran Member

I would love to get something like that. I manual focus probably 90% of the time. Sadly I wouldn't be able to afford the lenses.

I am really interested in that new Sigma DSLR. I would love to try it out. It doesn't have video which isn't a problem for me.

I have a couple of Sigma lenses. I really like the 10-20mm. I just wish they didn't use such large filters. That really adds to the cost.

I do have the K mount Voigtlander 58mm. That's a really great lens. I note you have the Jupiter 9. Love that one. The one I got was pretty beat up but it's worked really well for me. It's actually one of my favorites. Have you ever tried the Mir 1B (this may not be the right name). It's a 37mm. I would really like to get that one and the Volna 50mm, but that won't be this year for sure.
the J-9 is pretty interesting really. although it doesn't have the same resolving power of other 85mm, it does have unique character and works well with portraits.

I don't have any experienced with the Mir, but I had a chance to hold a Volna, which is another interesting lens. I didn't pick it up because I will find it of lil use since I'm using other 50mm more often.

10-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #308
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I was wondering about that myself. I think they may but they will probably wait a while. Of course the DP1 is over 2 years old now. Sigma is probably in as good a position as anyone to compete with the Fuji X100.
10-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #309
Veteran Member

I was wondering about that myself. I think they may but they will probably wait a while. Of course the DP1 is over 2 years old now. Sigma is probably in as good a position as anyone to compete with the Fuji X100.
wow, more chaos.
10-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #310

If pentax joint the "mirroslessclub" what the world could be happen
NEXs, EPs, can do what to this kind of stuff

I will buy one for sure, if pentax release the mirrorless
and give best AF, even in CDAF / PDAF mode technology
better than EPs and NEXs
10-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #311
Veteran Member

I'd be interested in that too but let's hope they would improve the ease of use.
10-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I'd be interested in that too but let's hope they would improve the ease of use.
I've been using a DP-2 for about two weeks now. I must admit if you can work with it's limitations the image quality is pretty impressive. It works for me, but I can see how it would really frustrate a lot of people. It's an odd little camera, definitely a love it or hate kind of experience.

I'm sufficiently impressed that I am going to take a serious look at the SD1.
10-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #313
Inactive Account

When the mirrorless systems get reliable I am gone from Pentax.
Until then Pentax is just fine with a verrrrry good crop sensor.
Good thread.
10-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #314
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
When the mirrorless systems get reliable I am gone from Pentax.
Until then Pentax is just fine with a verrrrry good crop sensor.
Good thread.

I'll use something like the X100 or the Sigma SD1 or 2 for many things. But for macro, I don't see EVG being worth a damn for 20+ years. The other thing is that with long glass theses systems aren't the most ergonomic. Granted that in tripod situations it doesn't really matter. I see these systems as complimentary to slr systems. Photography is still about optics and the viewfinder is part of that equation.
10-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #315
Veteran Member

I'll use something like the X100 or the Sigma SD1 or 2 for many things. But for macro, I don't see EVG being worth a damn for 20+ years. The other thing is that with long glass theses systems aren't the most ergonomic. Granted that in tripod situations it doesn't really matter. I see these systems as complimentary to slr systems. Photography is still about optics and the viewfinder is part of that equation.
I tend to agree. I use the E-P2 and the SD-2 but I still have a DSLR. Depends on what you want, but for a lot of camera owners I see them as compliments to DSLR's. For the casual user a mirrorless like the Olympus E-P's are probably enough camera.