Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Not a bad idea at all. The 645D will kill Leica's S2 at 1/2 the price. Why not a FF EVIL by Pentax for half the price of a Leica M9 too?
Inspiring from Contax G2 would really help in the mission to kill Leica. And I'd gladly pay $2000 for such thing, even if it would have cropped sensor.

08-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Found this on Yvon Bourque's blog.
QuoteQuote:
....Well…”The times they are a changin’” indeed and my next books for the upcoming Pentax DSLRs and EVIL cameras will be published and available on Amazon Kindle. ....
PENTAX DSLRs: As in Bob Dylan song, "The times they are a-changin' ". Magazines, books...all going to e-reading devices. What will be the impact on photography?

He could be informed - or just assuming
08-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I certainly noticed the use of the plural. Implies multiple DSLRs and multiple EVILs.

May simply be the result of typing too quickly. though.
08-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #34
Site Supporter

The G10 has a degraded EVF compared to the G2 and G1.

09-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Interesting. Hope Pentax doesn't let me down with their EVIL:

QuoteQuote:
Mr. Hamada from Pentax says about mirrorless: “we would like to release products with an individuality that shines through”

Mr. Hamada from Pentax provided an interesting market overview:

• Inventory is still accumulating in Europe. Production and shipments are higher than the momentum of consumption. This year, SLR cameras will grow by 15-20% over the previous year in terms of production, shipment and sales but inventories of compact cameras seem to be building all over Europe. We are keeping careful watch on the situation.
• In Japan, in particular, the mirrorless camera market is growing and is positioned to capture approximately 30% of the SLR market.
• Overseas, mirrorless cameras are selling to some degree in the United Kingdom. Manufacturers may not have got around to sales yet but one way or other the mirrorless cameras are starting to catch on, and all companies will be focusing on sales from now. I think they will have about 30% of the global SLR market within two years or so.
• We have looked carefully at the situation but since sales are not good even when we release the same products as other companies, we would like to release products with an individuality that shines through.

Oh yeah Pentax is coming soon with their mirrorless camera!
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/mr-hamada-from-pentax-says-about-mirrorless-...hines-through/
09-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
“we would like to release products with an individuality that shines through”
Nice find! And a great quote, I hope they put it into practice. And I hope it doesn't mean hello kitty on the faceplate. (I jest)
09-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Nice find! And a great quote, I hope they put it into practice. And I hope it doesn't mean hello kitty on the faceplate. (I jest)
I see at least two possibilities to claim new territory here: They could be the first to introduce an FF-EVIL. Or they could make a camera that is significantly smaller than the current EVILs, i.e. which can compete also with high-end compacts.

09-17-2010, 03:11 AM   #38
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Interesting. Hope Pentax doesn't let me down with their EVIL:

Mirrorless Rumors | Home
My forecast - FF EVIL with new bayonet. It solves a lot of problems with progress of Pentax system.

Last edited by ogl; 09-17-2010 at 03:19 AM.
09-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My forecast - FF EVIL with new bayonet.
No way... Pentax trying to kill the Leica M9 like they did with the Pentax 645D which has half the price of the Leica S2?

I will eat my pants if Pentax ever does that.
09-17-2010, 03:59 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I see at least two possibilities to claim new territory here: They could be the first to introduce an FF-EVIL. Or they could make a camera that is significantly smaller than the current EVILs, i.e. which can compete also with high-end compacts.
A third possibility would be to just make it WR. That would make it different from the competition. But I guess as soon as Olympus hears about this, they will make a WR PEN.

Maybe all those things in one camera: Small WR FF-Evil available in 100 colors!!

/Tommy
09-17-2010, 04:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
A third possibility would be to just make it WR. That would make it different from the competition. But I guess as soon as Olympus hears about this, they will make a WR PEN.

Maybe all those things in one camera: Small WR FF-Evil available in 100 colors!!

/Tommy
The colors are a given......
But if Pentax makes it rugged and WR. They could make the whole range this way.
If every lens and every camera is WR, Oly will be left behind simply because they will have ones that are not WR. The Pentax brand will jump into a different category.
09-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
The colors are a given......
But if Pentax makes it rugged and WR. They could make the whole range this way.
If every lens and every camera is WR, Oly will be left behind simply because they will have ones that are not WR. The Pentax brand will jump into a different category.
I would be totally down with this strategy. I'm still in need of a high quality, durable, WR camera to take backpacking/hiking. K-7 works OK, but comes in somewhat heavy paired with DA*. I should probably just get DA WR for that purpose since it's about 1/3 the weight.
09-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My forecast - FF EVIL with new bayonet. It solves a lot of problems with progress of Pentax system.
I hope you're right. Although I just don't see it happening; one of those too good to be true pipe dreams. But holy hell I would love a rangefinder-esque body built to K7 standards that I could use not only native glass, but also with M-mount glass and also old K-mount manual focus lenses.

That said, I' be ok with an APS-C sensor in their EVIL though. It could still be a Leica M9 killer even with a smaller sensor. Unlike DSLR's, EVIL view finder size isn't dependent on sensor/mirror size, so I don't mind APS-C in mirrorless cameras. That new Sony 16mp sensor produces all the image quality I'll ever need.
09-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #44
Veteran Member

The Sony Nex 5 (close to the design depicted above) produces phenom results all the way to iso 6400 and really has created, for me a paradigm shift in thinking re big heavy dslr.

Imagine a ff (that also does HD video) of similar design with a quality 24-105 F4 lens for hiking, travel etc.
09-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The Sony Nex 5 (close to the design depicted above) produces phenom results all the way to iso 6400 and really has created, for me a paradigm shift in thinking re big heavy dslr.

Imagine a ff (that also does HD video) of similar design with a quality 24-105 F4 lens for hiking, travel etc.
Imagined. I saw a huge lens without a grip.