Good!

Promising!

What about "Shannon Shambles"?
Better yet "Billy Whatchamakallit"
that last is 'what cha ma kall it'

08-18-2010, 10:38 AM - 2 Likes   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Agree 100%. I don't have a good feeling about Pentax's next camera, because it's likely to be more "Less-Than-Half-Frame" time wasting. A FF is worth more than twice the price of APS-C, similarly equipped, since two "upgrades" of APS-C STILL won't get you to FF performance, and you'll NEVER get as good a viewfinder OR be able to use the full AOV of your 35mm format lenses with APS-C. It's time for Pentax to make something better, and that means FF, period. I bought APS-C cameras to support the brand (an *istD and a K10D) and to have a digital to play with while I waited for what I actually wanted - a PK FF dSLR. I won't be buying any more APS-C cameras, regardless of how they perform or what features they have. Any more Less-Than-Half-Frame stuff at this point is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned.
Easy solution to your problem, buy a Canon, Nikon, or Sony. Believe it or not they are very good cameras. Or you can wait and wait and apparently not run out of the ability to complain ad naseum. Me I'd buy what I wanted instead of complaining about what I can't buy. Seems a lot easier that way. Just a thought.
08-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Easy solution to your problem, buy a Canon, Nikon, or Sony. Believe it or not they are very good cameras. Or you can wait and wait and apparently not run out of the ability to complain ad naseum. Me I'd buy what I wanted instead of complaining about what I can't buy. Seems a lot easier that way. Just a thought.
Amen! Despite Pentax making great cameras, they're not the best for all applications. If you actually NEED FF then go and get one. If you actually NEED FF then you'll find a way to pony up the dough.

You could always sell your pentax gear cheap to me as a way to finance it.
08-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #154
Pentaxian

I hope for the sake of all those Pentax members that want a FF, that Pentax builds the K7 super model that will provide that sensor.

But if i switch my perspective to what, i think, is the right business move by Hoya, they'll be patient and put out updated APS versions of the K7 and Kx. As many others have said, an EVIL model is an important strategic goal for the long-term, and i think its got to be a 3rd model for Pentax to announce, if not deliver.

Ever since Pentax has been a part of Hoya, they seem to be making very smart business decisions for such a small company. As witnessed by the result that the Kx is still in the top ten camera models being sold in Japan at 4.9%.

08-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Amen! Despite Pentax making great cameras, they're not the best for all applications. If you actually NEED FF then go and get one. If you actually NEED FF then you'll find a way to pony up the dough.

You could always sell your pentax gear cheap to me as a way to finance it.
Yup, I second that, yesterday I was packing my stuff for a 2 day hike and the diminutive size of my K20D + pancakes is definitively a plus when you have so much things to put in a small backpack.

Pentax is great for the audience they are targeting, it doesn't mean of course that they are great for any application.
08-20-2010, 01:54 AM   #156

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax done a good job with the k7 (despite is performance at 6400 iso is lower respect the k-x) and with the k-x (despite i don't like the lack of led during focus and the impossibilities to correct eventual back/focus issue - despite this functionality isn't present on entry level camera even on the other brands).
I hope they make a good job with the new model but i'm uncertain because seem they have the idea of add two new lines instead of replace the previous model.
And have a total of 4 lines i think don't only is overkilling but can only confuse the users, also i fear the price, that i think could be more high.
08-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter

The one thing is that if Pentax has more than two camera lines, it will tend to hurt entry level users the most. As it is, Pentax doesn't feel like they need to protect their upper end camera from their lower end camera -- things like weather sealing, better body, pentaprism separate them naturally, but if you have one in the middle, then maybe they will feel like they need to artificially cripple the entry level camera in order to make sure that people "buy up" to a higher level.
08-20-2010, 05:07 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Ever since Pentax has been a part of Hoya, they seem to be making very smart business decisions for such a small company.
Hoya's market cap is about JPY800M, Nikon's is about JPY600M.

Overlooking that, I agree that Hoya's management of Pentax seems to have been very astute, so I'm quite optimistic about the future of our favourite camera brand.

08-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The one thing is that if Pentax has more than two camera lines, it will tend to hurt entry level users the most. As it is, Pentax doesn't feel like they need to protect their upper end camera from their lower end camera -- things like weather sealing, better body, pentaprism separate them naturally, but if you have one in the middle, then maybe they will feel like they need to artificially cripple the entry level camera in order to make sure that people "buy up" to a higher level.
There's another route, used by both C and N: keep the current entry-level (K-X) in the market. No need to cripple (whatever that means) a new body. Price appropriately to avoid conflict.

As long as the new entrant brings value to support its new, higher price we're OK. We hope to get some new customers by the attractive entry price of the lower model.

If the buyers are serious about DSLR photography, they'll soon begin to look at the next step up. If they can re-use their Pentax glass, they're less-included to look at another brand. See D40 and Rebel XS. The D40, particularly, was seen as a great buy and brought people into the N fold.

The market is not confused by only two choices for less than $1,000 USD (kits) or 3-4 choices for less than $2,000. Plenty of room their for current and and older models to find a niche without much overlap in functions and price.

No "crippling" needed.
08-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
Here:
So my dream seems to have been very close to the reality...I said over 18 megapixels...
08-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
So my dream seems to have been very close to the reality...I said over 18 megapixels...
Right, but finally your dreams were not more accurate than this chinese website... or? Did you already dreamed about 2011?
Other possibility, your dream was the same than mine, and you are following the same way... Soon my dream will become true with 21Mpxls! (crazy frenchies! )