Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a good feeling about Pentax's next camera

I don't have a rumor to spread, but I just wanted to say that I think we have all of the evidence needed to conclude that Pentax is perfectly poised too release something huge in Sept.

Looking around, here's what I see:
  • Top notch ergonomics.
  • Leading sensor performance.
  • Above average processing.
Also, I've been reading that the latest firmware has given a small boost to AF performance on the K-7 which is very interesting. But more importantly... what I think is most valuable here is the potential that Pentax has to delivery something so amazing, that its going to make all of us FF seekers wish we had not wasted our time trying to find ways to use our favorite glass on other mounts

All Pentax needs, is for someone with understanding and knowledge to step up and put all of that into a single package. And hopefully... this is what were going to see in 2010!

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-28-2010 at 04:28 PM.
07-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #2

I've gotta feeling (Woohoo) that tonight's gonna be a good night. (Black Eyed Peas)

I really hope so.

My K10D is still going good but as the K-7 price goes down it's getting harder to resist.

A great K-whatever means I'll forget about the K-7 and dream about the "new kid in town" and save my bank account for a few months.
07-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is interesting to see is that this time, neither K-7 nor K-x will be discontinued while the new models will be announced. Does this mean that K-7 price will not be dropped that much once the new models arrive?
07-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we could view Pentax as the lieca of the DSLR Cameras. It doesn't have to be high volume camera since it is reputed to have a high quality build and optics. However lieca has the cache of a boutique camera and a price to prove it. I guess we aren't looking for that from Pentax, who has always had the reputation of being high quality cameras and optics at a reasonable price. But I do view my Pentax as having similar quality to a lieca. I'm proud to walk among Canon and Nikon owners with my "Pentax", and not be a sheep in the crowd of people who buy their camera because of a well known volume name. Most of them don't have any idea what a quality camera should be like.

07-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Most of them don't have any idea what a quality camera should be like.
Oh I think they do!
It consists of high ISO and lots of MP's
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't.

I mean, I do, for what the camera will be.

But I have a feeling I will be very, very tempted to upgrade my barely-a-year-old K-7, and that would probably be grounds for divorce from my wife's point of view
07-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm expecting Pentax to release a K-7 super, and somthing to fit between the K-7 and the K-x.

K-7s would be like the jump the K20D made over the K10D. A new sensor, more megapixels, the same body, maybe tethered shooting. But I don't expect it will beat either the 7D or the D300S on the spec sheet.

The middle camera will be a replacement for the K200D. I expect it to be a watered down K-7. Penta-mirror, re-use the Samsung sensor, plastic weather proof body. Kind of like the K200D was a re-used K10D. I don't think we will see AA batteries used in this body. People will be outraged.

Although I don't think Pentax will release a FF camera, the new Tokina 16-28 really has me wondering.

07-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
What is interesting to see is that this time, neither K-7 nor K-x will be discontinued while the new models will be announced. Does this mean that K-7 price will not be dropped that much once the new models arrive?
Pentax Canada seems totally unresponsive to price adjustments based on the relative strength of the Canadian dollar. The K7 is STILL not coming down in price in Canada despite it being reduced to 700 - 800 dollars in the US in the past couple of weeks. Last week, the price of the K7 in Canada was just about where it was when it was first marketed. . . about 1300 dollars for the body.

So, no. I am sure that I won't see a noticeable price drop even when the first new models are actually in stores. Well, maybe a $100 rebate.
07-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I think we could view Pentax as the lieca of the DSLR Cameras. It doesn't have to be high volume camera since it is reputed to have a high quality build and optics. However lieca has the cache of a boutique camera and a price to prove it. I guess we aren't looking for that from Pentax, who has always had the reputation of being high quality cameras and optics at a reasonable price. But I do view my Pentax as having similar quality to a lieca. I'm proud to walk among Canon and Nikon owners with my "Pentax", and not be a sheep in the crowd of people who buy their camera because of a well known volume name. Most of them don't have any idea what a quality camera should be like.
I've got a Leica Rangefinder film and a whole raft of Pentax, I agree with a lot of what you say about Pentax qualities.....but I'm not sure if it...or any camera , including those from Nikon or Canon, are at the same status level, as a Leica Rangefinder.

I'm including the top of the line Pro cameras from Nikon and Canon.

The history, the build quality, the elegance, the feel of the controls, how they snick into 'gear' as it were...everything on my 50 year old ++ Leica still moves smooth as silk.

When you mention Leica Rangefinder...knowledgeable photographers still ooh and ah.
07-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a K10D and a KM.

I really like both. My K10D I've had for almost 3 years...touch wood...still seems to work as well as the day I bought it.

I liked the K20D and the K7, but they didn't offer enough to make me feel they were that much better then my old K10D that I would march down to a camera store, to see what I could get for a trade in, on either a K20D or K7.

The k20D was an update to the ground breaker K10D and the K7...well that sensor and other features (high ISO performance) seem to be lacking, compared to the # 2 in the current line...the redoubtable KX.

I will eventually replace my K10D and I like the K7..ie; magnesium body, etc....but Pentax need to improve the AF in low light, the high ISO performance and update other things so it's ahead of the 7D Canon.

BTW, I'm very happy with the final product that both my K10D and KM produce....the pix are wonderful.
07-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Pentax Canada seems totally unresponsive to price adjustments based on the relative strength of the Canadian dollar. The K7 is STILL not coming down in price in Canada despite it being reduced to 700 - 800 dollars in the US in the past couple of weeks. Last week, the price of the K7 in Canada was just about where it was when it was first marketed. . . about 1300 dollars for the body.

So, no. I am sure that I won't see a noticeable price drop even when the first new models are actually in stores. Well, maybe a $100 rebate.
While I want to buy local, the pricing policies that Pentax Canada has in place has forced me to buy my last 2 cameras in the US. When the K7 came out the K20d stayed the same price till they were finally gone.

I don't know about most, but saving $400 is worth the risk on the K7. A hundred bucks ok, but when it passes 10% it's time to shop elsewhere. The local guy may get the little stuff, but all my big purchases come from either Adorama or B&H now.
07-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

see you at the border guys. lol
07-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chinese website k5, K7 Super ?

Found this website,

Google Translate

mentioning the K5, K7 Super and 645D Pro?
07-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry link doe not take you directly there, on the left hand side under top brands there is a pentax link that has a list of cameras. click the link then scroll down.

Google Translate
07-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I don't have a rumor to spread, but I just wanted to say that I think we have all of the evidence needed to conclude that Pentax is perfectly poised too release something huge in Sept.

Looking around, here's what I see:
  • Top notch ergonomics.
  • Leading sensor performance.
  • Above average processing.
Also, I've been reading that the latest firmware has given a small boost to AF performance on the K-7 which is very interesting. But more importantly... what I think is most valuable here is the potential that Pentax has to delivery something so amazing, that its going to make all of us FF seekers wish we had not wasted our time trying to find ways to use our favorite glass on other mounts

All Pentax needs, is for someone with understanding and knowledge to step up and put all of that into a single package. And hopefully... this is what were going to see in 2010!
I certainly expect upcoming Pentax cameras to be improvements over their current offerings, but the likelihood of an earth-shaking new camera is extremely small. Technology typically advances in small steps, and all of the manufacturers are essentially working with the same materials and the same knowledge base. So while Pentax may leapfrog over the competition, it won't be a huge jump, and their advantage will last only until the next upgrades from Nikon and Canon. Same as it ever was.

Rob