Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Sorry link doe not take you directly there, on the left hand side under top brands there is a pentax link that has a list of cameras. click the link then scroll down.

Google Translate
Thanks a lot for the link!

20 million pixels!?!? Sounds a lot to me for an APS-C sensor... WOuld be a big jump for Sony! (their actual bigger one is 14Mpxls). But for a FF sensor, it take a lot of sense...
Anyway, I hardly believe these numbers are correct.

07-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #17
emr

Thanks, Belnan. Very interesting link.

I do not see the 20 Mpix that youky above mentions, but what I noticed is that it show "Optical Image Stabilizer" for the 645D Pro. And only 720p video for the K-7 Super. On the other hand it shows March 2010 as the release date for the 645D Pro even though there's a 645D on the same list and with the same release date.

A very garbled information source, but anyhow it's interesting to see those model names mentioned on a shop's list(?).
07-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Thanks, Belnan. Very interesting link.

I do not see the 20 Mpix that youky above mentions, but what I noticed is that it show "Optical Image Stabilizer" for the 645D Pro. And only 720p video for the K-7 Super. On the other hand it shows March 2010 as the release date for the 645D Pro even though there's a 645D on the same list and with the same release date.

A very garbled information source, but anyhow it's interesting to see those model names mentioned on a shop's list(?).
Here:
07-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Dammit! So the coverage rumors were true?
Though, I don't see how a 20MP sensor can give a FF a run for its money

07-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
emr

Thanks, youky63. On the other hand, the website shows the same 20 Mpix for the 645D Pro which was released in March. What a mess of a website.
Attached Images

07-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Found this website,

Google Translate

mentioning the K5, K7 Super and 645D Pro?
they want to sell rumors?
07-29-2010, 02:22 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote

Rumors with one year warranty

07-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

16 megapixels seems to be the right number for the K7 sequel. As to Pentax being one-upped by Canon and Nikon, yes, in some ways they are, but in other ways, Pentax releases their own cameras that are very different from Canon/Nikon offerings.

While the specs of the 7D may be better than the K7, I wouldn't dream of buying a 7D. If someone gave me one, I would sell it. Pentax just fits what I do better.

I don't really care about high iso noise, but I agree with others that if they can increase the dynamic range of the sensor, that would be awesome. That is really where full frame has it over APS-C (and probably always will).
07-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have a good feeling about these cameras, JohnBee. I'm not sure it will make anybody regret switching to full frame, but my hope is it will be improved enough to capture that segment of the camera population that was interested in the K-7 but didn't buy it for whatever reason.

Canon and Nikon are supposed to be releasing their 50D and D90 upgrades, respectively, around the same time so I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax won't be leading even in the prosumer class when it comes to specs. However, this new camera, even if it is nothing else but an augmented K-7, will be one of the best cameras that Pentax has ever made, and that isn't too shabby.
07-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
16 megapixels seems to be the right number for the K7 sequel. I don't agree. Canon's 7D has been out for awhile...with 18 + and the pix from that camera are great. I have two buddies with the 7D...As to Pentax being one-upped by Canon and Nikon, yes, in some ways they are, but in other ways, Pentax releases their own cameras that are very different from Canon/Nikon offerings.Pentax, like any other manufacturer, if they want to keep or improve market share, must produce competitive products. An also run...won't cut it.

While the specs of the 7D may be better than the K7, I wouldn't dream of buying a 7D. If someone gave me one, I would sell it. Pentax just fits what I do better.Well that may be, only you know what you do and use a camera for...therefore your the best judge for yourself. Me I've had, use, still use Pentax SLR/DSLR for 42 years...and I want my next Pentax SLR to be fully competitive in all aspects with Canon and Nikon equivalents. I think Pentax may rely too much on their older, traditional market. You can't do that nowadays. Look at Buick and Harley Davidson...they're trying to expand beyond their traditional market...traditional markets...get old...wither away. I'm in my early 60's.....Pentax needs more people in their early 20's...the youth market is the future....not old guys like me...which tends to be Pentax's traditional market.

I don't really care about high iso noise,I do. I want my DSLR's to be able to perform in low light situations. I get too much noise at 800 and 1600, currently, in my K10D. I'm losing some potentially good pix. but I agree with others that if they can increase the dynamic range of the sensor, that would be awesome. That is really where full frame has it over APS-C (and probably always will).
If I had to start over again, I would seriously look at the Canon 5D Mk. 11....very capable FF. I'm hoping the next DSLR (Pentax)...K8...will more then match the 7D or the Nikon D300s. For cropped sensor...I want to stay with Pentax...I'm very happy with the Pentax lenses I have.....12-24, 10-17 Fisheye, 55-300, 50 Macro, 50 normal F1.4, etc....all top quality...the 12-24 is easily competitive with Canon L lenses or Nikkor...IMHO.

Last edited by lesmore49; 07-29-2010 at 07:54 AM.
07-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
I also noticed that they list 3 new Nikon DSLR's, maybe using the same sensors as Pentax? The site does not seem to have actual specs but they may know what cameras are coming soon.
07-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #27
emr

They list Panasonic GF2 and GH2 as well. With little detail, but a release date marked as July 2010. Go figure.
07-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
If I had to start over again, I would seriously look at the Canon 5D Mk. 11....very capable FF. I'm hoping the next DSLR (Pentax)...K8...will more then match the 7D or the Nikon D300s. For cropped sensor...I want to stay with Pentax...I'm very happy with the Pentax lenses I have.....12-24, 10-17 Fisheye, 55-300, 50 Macro, 50 normal F1.4, etc....all top quality...the 12-24 is easily competitive with Canon L lenses or Nikkor...IMHO.
Some of your quote is missing. Still, I do a lot of hiking and 5D or 7D is way too heavy for that kind of situation. I agree that Pentax needs to improve, all around. Whether it is dynamic range, auto focus speed, range of lenses available, there is always room for improvement and I hope we continue to see it. I do notice that you comment that you are currently using a K10 and the K7 is better than that in almost every respect.

When I said that 16 megapixel was the right number, what I meant was that some who have used the new camera have said that it would be a 16 megapixel sensor. The difference between 18 and 16 megapixels is negligible and not really visible in real world shooting. At the same time, 14 megapixels is fine for me and increasing resolution is not that important.

However, Pentax will never make a go of it by matching Canon/Nikon feature for feature. The question is whether they can put together a compelling package that matches up well against comparably priced cameras.
07-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #29
Inactive Account

i think we'll get:

1. an updated Kx - some stuff added to apease the critics (like AF indicators )
2. the in-between model ala k200d super
3. an updated k7

a bunch of new lenses w/ SDM II

54 days till photokina
07-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

20MP on a 1.5 is pretty close to the 18MP 1.6 sensor that Canon uses. If Pentax is going that route then they need to show similar performance or better. The Canon 60D is going to have the same 18MP sensor. At 20MP Pentax will be at the same pixel density as the Olympus E-3 (4/3).

I am just wondering who they will be buying the new sensor from.