Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Olympus' successor to the E-1 is going to be announced[/URL].
Well, how long did it take for Oly to make that statement? 3 years? 4 years?
The K10D is about 10 month old. It's a top camera and it will give Pentax a good Christmas sale, no doubt.

What do you want?
A new camera every 6 months?
With some micro improvements?

09-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Maybe he wants Canon 20D->30D transition every year? ...
09-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #48
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want a pentax with the nikon d300 sensor and its alledged iso performance. And I want at least 1/250 sync speed and a 100% vf like the d300. That high res large screen would be sweet too. I want it in a body similar to the k10d but with the grip built in, and more buttons in portrait mode (af button anyone) and also the portrait grip to be as wide as the normal grip, its not as comfy to hold in portrait. then give me a dedicated iso dial with the values on it. similar to the mode dial. dual sd card slots. x sync input. included or optional gps module. how about opinional pw module, like the sekonic lightmeeters have. pros/semi-pros would love that since a pw is quite bulky. well i could go on.

point is. the d300 is announced, and it looks like it is using a sensor that pentax can get access to via its normal supplier. altho a new sensor maker would be even more interesting.
09-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Well, how long did it take for Oly to make that statement? 3 years? 4 years?
The K10D is about 10 month old. It's a top camera and it will give Pentax a good Christmas sale, no doubt.
Knew I'd get in trouble.

First up, 3 or 4 years? I assume you mean to replace the E1. Very true... but that's not counting the other models they've released in the meantime. The E-510 and E-410 are less than 10 months old, but it hasn't stopped them announcing the new pro model, because they are not simply "replacements" or "upgrades" but aimed at different customers.

Now fair enough, Pentax can't justify making an equivalent model now (nor do they have the lenses to justify it) so it's pointless expecting them to. That doesn't mean they can't improve on what they have already. I know the K10d is a very good camera, even if I don't feel the need to say it's the best camera ever. It doesn't mean it can't be improved. For one thing I want to see the return of ISO 3200, and less noise at the higher ISOs with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
What do you want?
A new camera every 6 months?
With some micro improvements?
Would you call the K100D Super a major progression then? They added "dust removal" (for people who can't use a blower brush?) and SDM support (to support all those lenses that have SDM... oh wait)...

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Maybe he wants Canon 20D->30D transition every year? ...
Hows about a 30D-40D transition? And why act like Pentax would never do anything like Canon did with the 20D-30D? With the exception of Shake Reduction, do you really think the K100D is that different from the *Ist DS, DL, DL2, DS2? And the K100D Super a great improvement on the regular K100D?
With the K10d, Pentax proved once again that they can actually design new products rather than slightly improve the old ones without making real changes. So they did very well with the K10d... it doesn't make it perfect though...

I notice neither of you referred to my mention of lenses. The only new lenses we've seen lately are the two DA* zooms... both arrived much later than the projected date, neither have been sent to reviewers... they took a fairly long time to come out with lenses that were part designed by Tokina anyway. Meanwhile what of the other teles (ie longer than 200mm or fast and longer than 150)...

... My point being, we're not hearing anything about bodies, and we're not hearing anything about lenses (hearing plenty about lunches though)... even if I wasn't prepared to buy a new body (which I am, but the K10d is not it) and wasn't looking for lenses which are not available (which I am)... this isn't just about what I want. It's also about being concerned that the company actually gets enough new customers to be able to expand the system.
And as I have said many, many, many times, the majority of first-time dSLR buyers are very impressed by specs and by seeing the "latest and greatest", and by marketing... even though it may seem distasteful to discerning Pentaxians. Pentax needs to sell to those people too.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 09-04-2007 at 11:57 AM.
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #50
wll
Veteran Member

So basically no Christmas sales for Pentax... unless by some miracle they manage to release those new tele lenses that are supposed to be released around nowish according to the magical yellow brick road-map. Still, I'm sure they've been working really hard adding two features to an old camera and producing the two lenses that were supposed to be due months ago (but not enough to lend one to any reviewers)... well, I assume they're doing something, other than have lots of lunches

Oh, and at the risk of committing the crime of mentioning what another company is doing and compounding it with the sin of linking to the site of Satan (dpreview)... Olympus' successor to the E-1 is going to be announced. With a date given for when this will happen. Information released, about new products, by a company whose name doesn't begin with C or N? Surely it can't be done!?
Well, The Paris show opens up in a few days so we shall see what is happening.

wll
09-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Knew I'd get in trouble.

... My point being, we're not hearing anything about bodies, and we're not hearing anything about lenses (hearing plenty about lunches though)... even if I wasn't prepared to buy a new body (which I am, but the K10d is not it) and wasn't looking for lenses which are not available (which I am)... this isn't just about what I want. It's also about being concerned that the company actually gets enough new customers to be able to expand the system.
And as I have said many, many, many times, the majority of first-time dSLR buyers are very impressed by specs and by seeing the "latest and greatest", and by marketing... even though it may seem distasteful to discerning Pentaxians. Pentax needs to sell to those people. But hey, never mind that, just remind me again how real photographers don't worry about equipment and just go and shoot; we don't hear that one enough.
Good post! There are several things you didn't mention that make me pause and wonder. New products are the lifeblood of an electronic company and we aren't seeing any. I'm not ready to buy either a new body or new lenses but Pentax needs them for market recognition.

The thing that scares me a little is Hoya's part in these delays. If the OP is right and we don't see a new model until next year, is this because Hoya pushed things back? The old Pentax management was very adamant about having 2 new bodies for Christmas. They stated they would not miss that selling season again. Are we looking at Pentax being Pentax or are we seeing the hand of Hoya coming in and saying "Enough", make money with what you have before we let you spend on new items.

We still haven't heard the fat lady sing so we have no idea as to what Hoya's plans are for Pentax. I'm afraid the silence from them is a deafening roar, hope I'm wrong. If we don't see new products by November it would be a safe bet to say Hoya is going to milk Pentax camera devision for as much as they can before they dump it.

That will leave the new owner to pick up the pieces (Samsung?). So unless we see something by November don't count on seeing anything for a very long time. For me that's OK because my K10D and the old lenses I've bought will keep me happy for a very long time.

Regards,

Ken
09-04-2007, 01:17 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Based on that, it appears manufacturers are moving away from the practice of waiting until big trade shows to make major announcements ...
Actually, they still do. But for camera releases, the emphasis is on Photokina (none this year) and PMA. All the other shows are much less significant. And this "IFA" trade show has never been a significant new camera launching ground anyways.
09-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #53
Pentaxian

>Would you call the K100D Super a major progression then? They added >"dust removal" (for people who can't use a blower brush?) and SDM support >(to support all those lenses that have SDM... oh wait)...

Surely not but it is called K100DSuper, not K200D. Pentax acknowledge it is a small update.

>Hows about a 30D-40D transition? And why act like Pentax would never do >anything like Canon did with the 20D-30D? With the exception of Shake >Reduction, do you really think the K100D is that different from the *Ist DS, >K100D?

K100d is an honest upgrade from *ist serie. At least as good as Canon 300D->350D->400D.
ist-DS serie is very well explained. Pentax could not accept Samsung having beter bodies than themselves (and Samsung wanting big screens) they had to release the GX1S/GX1L under Pentax brand. Silly I agree. But again if those have a "2" at then end of their names it is not without reason.

Did Canon call its new camera 20DmkII or 21D? No they didn't not. Very silly.

>With the K10d, Pentax proved once again that they can actually design new >products rather than slightly improve the old ones without making real >changes. So they did very well with the K10d... it doesn't make it perfect >though...

Of course !

>I notice neither of you referred to my mention of lenses. The only new >lenses we've seen lately are the two DA* zooms... both arrived much later >than the projected date, neither have been sent to reviewers... they took a >fairly long time to come out with lenses that were part designed by Tokina >anyway. Meanwhile what of the other teles (ie longer than 200mm or fast >and longer than 150)...

No, not designed by Tokina. You beleive what you want to beleive (you're not the only one really, but that's not an excuse).
Long time? Sure new serie, new AF, weathersealing. If next ones are that late then I will agree.
Looking at the roadmap you should have known the Teles wouldn't be in your hands right now.

>... My point being, we're not hearing anything about bodies, and we're not >hearing anything about lenses (hearing plenty about lunches though)...

Haa sure Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony and Panasonic do always say when they will release what 6 months in advance. Canon and Nikon can afford leaks. All the other cannot for obvious reasons.

> It's also about being concerned that >the company actually gets enough >new customers to be able to expand the >system.

Sure K10D and K100D do sell like no previous Pentax DSLR did. Bad sign isn't it ?

>And as I have said many, many, many times, the majority of first-time dSLR >buyers are very impressed by specs and by seeing the "latest and >greatest", and by marketing... even though it may seem distasteful to >discerning Pentaxians. Pentax needs to sell to those people too.

Agree 100% (unfortunately but.. won't change the world here and now).

09-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #54
Inactive Account

No, not designed by Tokina. You beleive what you want to beleive (you're not the only one really, but that's not an excuse).
Long time? Sure new serie, new AF, weathersealing. If next ones are that late then I will agree.
I said "part designed" by Tokina . They are usually referred to as Pentax/Tokina co-designs. As is the 12-24mm zoom. Are you saying that they were entirely designed by Pentax? I would love to believe that, honestly I would be very happy to know that Pentax did it all by themselves, but I have not seen any evidence at all to suggest that either company was mostly responsible, so until I receive confirmation I think it's reasonable to keep referring to them as co-designs.

Looking at the roadmap you should have known the Teles wouldn't be in your hands right now.
Actually looking at the roadmap, I see "targeted availability" for the 200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 was September 2007. Unless I am very much mistaken it is now September 2007
Now of course, delays are to be expected, and obviously I did not expect that the lenses road-mapped for a September release would actually be released in September. A shame that we have to automatically assume they will be later than planned but that's another matter... But I also did not expect that the current DA* zooms would be delayed as long as they were, and the fact that no information has been released at all about the next lenses does not bode well for a release any time soon.

Sure K10D and K100D do sell like no previous Pentax DSLR did. Bad sign isn't it?
Hehe... no, I accept it's a very good sign. But I don't think we can safely assume that they will continue to fly off the shelves. Nikon recognised that megapixels are the opiate of the masses, hence stuffing more into the D40 to make the D40X, which gets great reviews and sells very well despite being spectacularly poor value compared to both the K10d and K100d. Canon are also on 10mp for entry-level models. You and I know that higher pixel count won't make a better photo or a better photographer, but just try explaining that to the average first-time dSLR buyer in a camera shop. Meanwhile the K10d has generally been recognised as extremely good value, but often in comparison with the competition... most commonly in comparison with the D200. And now the D200 is going to be replaced by the D300. As I said, "latest and greatest" is unfortunately what sells. Older Canon and Nikon models continue to sell but they have the marketing and image advantages associated with those names in a way Pentax doesn't. The K100d and K10d may continue to sell very well indeed, but I don't think we can automatically count on that happening.

Agree 100% (unfortunately but.. won't change the world here and now).
I think we definitely agree there. I don't expect to change the world overnight, I don't expect to change Pentax either... but I do think it can't hurt to raise concerns in the faint hope that someone pays attention when the same concerns are made by several people. Like most optical companies, getting information out of them is like blood from a stone. Since we don't really have a clue what they're doing, all we can do in that regard is say what we hope they're doing or not doing, say what we think they could do better; create a little customer feedback.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 09-04-2007 at 05:55 PM.
09-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Paraphrasing you... "I predict that sometime next year, Pentax will release something new that you all will probably like".

Wow, who did you have to kill to get that top-secret info?

Meanwhile, back to taking pictures...

Nice nice... Oh, did I say I was making a prediction? I think not...

BTW, the upcoming DSLR will still have a cropped sensor... and it won't be called the K1D...

Last edited by leadbelly; 09-04-2007 at 05:54 PM.