Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Germany - Surprise Coming August 31st.

On their homepage (pentax.de), Pentax Germany is talking about a surprise ("überraschen") during the IFA Consumer Trade Show in Berlin (Aug 31st - Sept 5th). No hint what that surprise might be. However, manufacturers in the photo and imaging industry often use the annual IFA and biennial Photokina trade shows to introduce new products to the international markets.

Nonetheless, it should be noted that Pentax Germany, typically very low-keyed, does not routinely use words like "surprise" when hinting at upcoming new product offerings.

The IFA trade show is one of the one of the world's largest consumer electronics trade shows with over 1000 exhibitors and over 200,000 visitors, including 6,000+ journalists from more than 70 countries.

Interestingly, Pentax USA's new pentaxian.com website is slated to open September 6th, the day after the IFA trade show closes in Berlin.

Edit Aug, 24th: Well, no press conference yesterday, anywhere. Since so many of us were wrong with that, I'm putting away my crystal ball and getting out of the Pentax speculation business. Until hard evidence is seen, I'm also finally agreeing with others here who say nothing special about the "surprise" comment on the Pentax Germany website. From now on, I'm waiting for something a little more concrete before saying anything about possible future activities by the company.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 08-23-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added Aug 24th Comment.
08-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was looking at getting a K10 soon, I'm suddenly thinking that I should hold off for a little while.
08-21-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't hold my breath.

In German it reads:
"Lassen Sie sich während der Internationalen Funkausstellung von den neuesten PENTAX Digital-Highlights überraschen!"

Translating the meaning it reads:
"Come and have a look at Pentax' newest digital highlights."

It does not imply a great surprise. This they would have worded differently.

Perhaps a K10D-super.
Perhaps some new lenses.
08-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unless my German is worse than I thought, and every language dictionary found around the house is wrong, überraschen is the German word for surprise (as is überraschung out of the context). Used in the manner on that page, überraschen would imply a surprise in those newest digital highlights.

stewart

08-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Unless my German is worse than I thought, and every language dictionary found around the house is wrong, überraschen is the German word for surprise
That is correct, but there are subtle differences in meaning.
I would read it more like:
"Come and have a look at our products and be surprised (how good they are etc.)."

But ...
lassen wir uns überraschen!
Thursday is a press conference, I have been told.
08-21-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Perhaps "amazed" would be a better translation as in "Be amazed by our products".

Doesn't mean there will be surprises, but doesn't mean there won't be either...

My K10D never seizes to surprise me for instance...

Wim
08-21-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Aug 23

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I was looking at getting a K10 soon, I'm suddenly thinking that I should hold off for a little while.
I don't think you will have to wait until then to find out what is coming, but I would hold off for the Pentax announcement scheduled for Aug 23. The new Sony sensor just might be part of what will be offered. We might be looking at a K10D big brother for somewhere around the $1,200 range.

Regards,

Ken

08-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
That is correct, but there are subtle differences in meaning.
I would read it more like:
"Come and have a look at our products and be surprised (how good they are etc.)."

Yes, there are subtle differences, which is why I can understand your translation, and Wim's translation. Of course, I would translate it more as "be surprised by our newest product highlights." Regardless, such hype is unusual for Pentax Germany. Last year, for example, they only said come see us at booth whatever, with no mention of products (much less being surprised or amazed by the newest ones), which was certainly understated considering the new K10D was coming.

QuoteQuote:
But ...
lassen wir uns überraschen!
Thursday is a press conference, I have been told.

I think it's all related - board members talking earlier in the year about new products needing to be released in time for the christmas shopping season (to reach store shelves in time, now is the time to start gearing up for that), the press conference on Thursday (23th) to probably talk about new products, the products themselves at the trade show on the 31st, and the following promotion of those new products (using sites like pentaxian.com, etc).

Of course, the frustrating part is wait itself. In the end, the real surprise may be that we're all reading too much into every little tidbit found and absolutely nothing is going to happen anytime soon.

stewart
08-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My Bet

I would be willing to bet that their will be some surprised before the new year..The indicators are leaning in that direction. At least that is what I have garnered. But then again I could be wrong..

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 08-21-2007 at 02:59 PM.
08-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

for some reason I have the feeling that I should put my money on Ben's intuition on this issue.
08-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

überraschen!

Yes, i couldnt agree more, my k10 continues to überraschen me everday. It almost hurts to be überraschen'd like this daily. Nice one Pentax.
08-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #12

überraschen is that like a über rash that needs some cream to clear it up. hehehe

Es tut mir leid

08-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
maybe the 'surprise' will be they'll announce that the delays in shipping their announced lenses will 'officially' be measured in only weeks instead of months?!
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Maybe the überraschen will be that there is actually keine überraschen.

08-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #15

das ist unmöglich