Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
No new cameras are coming anymore.

Pentax is finished and to be sold off and bought up by Canon.

:P
OK, you can start feeling special again.

08-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No new cameras are coming anymore.

Pentax is finished and to be sold off and bought up by Canon.

:P

Hmm, last time I heard was Samsung bought Canon and Nikon, then dump their brands and mounts. And then Sony stop making cameras. So everything on the market will be PK, besides NX mount ...
08-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I can also confirm the K-5 won't have screwdrive motor or shake reduction.
08-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hmm, last time I heard was Samsung bought Canon and Nikon, then dump their brands and mounts. And then Sony stop making cameras. So everything on the market will be PK, besides NX mount ...
Canotax

Samtax

Pensung

Niksung

Samkon

Caniokonax

Samsunikon

Sanikuntax

Penikonax

Samsunax

Last edited by Christopher M.W.T; 08-04-2010 at 10:25 PM.
08-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #20

Sanikuntax.....................I really don't think that one would work!
08-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing personal, but with that information it seems that you are confirming items that SimonSmyth was posting. I believe - I said at the time, that there is always a grain of truth in just about everything - you just have to find it. Maybe he was not so wrong after all. Time will tell....
  • On the lack of a screwdrive - what ever body it is, would be absolutely worthless to me, since all my lenses are screwdrive. It also departs from Pentax backwards lens compatibility that they have followed so far. I think that it would be somewhat stupid for Pentax to go down this path. So with that rumor or report this body is walking away from everything but SDM lenses. I have no interest....
  • On the lack of shake reduction - that is one of the items that attracted me to Pentax along with their optics. Without it, the body becomes very unattractive to me.
So what else, is there to the rumors - anything containing any bit of good news? With news like this Pentax might as well just fade away and die, as I will have no continuing interest - and will certainly not open my check book every again. Just the way it is. I will certainly not be purchasing any new lenses - and I have no interest in SDM lenses. The report holds nothing of interest in bodies either.

08-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

This is something I refuse to believe until I see the official press release.
As it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. For a below K-x bottom of the line camera - maybe. But for a top of the line more expensive than K-7 model? You got to be joking.

And it automatically contradicts the statement that the new camera "will be the best Pentax camera ever made in the digital age for their specific prices" - NOT!

08-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #23
Veteran Member

For the supposed new heavy-hitter K-5, I'm still wondering what Pentax would have to do to innovate at the high-end of the APS-C space and make the new 'big boy' stand out from the crowd.

The high end APS-C Nikons and Canon's all have bright pentaprism finders and nice big rear LCD's etc. High megapixels and decent HD video has been done - eg the Canon 7D or even the K-7. Dual SD cards plus weather sealing etc is there in the Nikon D300s. Tethering is there already with Nikon and Canon. High FPS is already done. Good AF is already done with the D300s and 7D. GPS is only a gimmick feature, ditto pivoting screen etc - few pros or high-end amateurs would care much about those.

Decent high ISO performance still eludes high-end, high megapixel APS-C though (according to dxomark). Maybe they found a way to innovate there, but that's a real challenge and unlikely.

So what would Pentax have to do to make a splash with their new top-of-the-line body?
08-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So what would Pentax have to do to make a splash with their new top-of-the-line body?
The removal of screw driver AF motor and SR would sure make headlines, and elicit intense discussions in the forums - but for the wrong reason. Just hope that it isn't true.
08-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
This is something I refuse to believe until I see the official press release.
As it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. For a below K-x bottom of the line camera - maybe. But for a top of the line more expensive than K-7 model? You got to be joking.
Yeah, I would tend to agree. It wouldn't cost any extra and would add only marginal weight to just leave the screw drive option in any 'pro' grade body. It wouldn't make sense to have a pro-grade body that couldn't make use of the large range of existing quality glass out there. Pros like flexibility and options.

Nikon does it the other way round - the cheap bodies lack the in-built drive motor, not the mid to high end bodies. Pentax would be dumb to do the reverse.
08-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #26

so...

Thanks C.W., with this information you just confirmed us that you were SimonSmyth (if anybody still had any doubts about it) AND that you don't know how to edit EXIF files.
Then, about these features: to me, the only reason to remove screwdrive motor and shake reduction to what is supposed to be the new top body, is to make it incompatible with the actual system. In other words, this K-5 must be the expected mirrorless camera. Which is concordant with previous informations about only 2 new bodies (anyway, it must be difficult for pentax to offer 3 new bodies at the same time, plus the actual ones, while they only have 2 bodies for more than 1 year now). Then, how do you plan to sell a mirrorless camera in the 1000+ dollar market is another big question, for which I have no answer (not even with a FF sensor, since most of the people expecting a Pentax FF body want it for a better OVF, and are mainly repulsed by EVF).
I definitely do not regret anymore to switch to Canon at the end of the year... (there is real FF there, not only for dreams... )
08-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

GEEESH! some of you people are too serious! :P I'm just stirring you all up! lighten up!

I brought it up because I saw the stir that it caused when he did it!

And no i'm no Simons Myth!
08-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Nothing personal, but with that information it seems that you are confirming items that SimonSmyth was posting. I believe - I said at the time, that there is always a grain of truth in just about everything - you just have to find it. Maybe he was not so wrong after all. Time will tell....
  • On the lack of a screwdrive - what ever body it is, would be absolutely worthless to me, since all my lenses are screwdrive. It also departs from Pentax backwards lens compatibility that they have followed so far. I think that it would be somewhat stupid for Pentax to go down this path. So with that rumor or report this body is walking away from everything but SDM lenses. I have no interest....
  • On the lack of shake reduction - that is one of the items that attracted me to Pentax along with their optics. Without it, the body becomes very unattractive to me.
So what else, is there to the rumors - anything containing any bit of good news? With news like this Pentax might as well just fade away and die, as I will have no continuing interest - and will certainly not open my check book every again. Just the way it is. I will certainly not be purchasing any new lenses - and I have no interest in SDM lenses. The report holds nothing of interest in bodies either.

I looked at SS post and checked it against what I've already been told.

His posting was purely guess work and pulling bits and pieces from sources that are available on here and on dpreview forums.

He said 18mp sensor it's only a 16mp.

He only got 2 things right (well partly) one is relating to the AF been improved (which isn't a big secret) and the other which is a decent feature that the 645D has and it would've seemed logical Pentax would've brought it into their flagship APS-C model, which is apparently what the K-5 will feature

The best was all TOTAL BS!
08-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
The removal of screw driver AF motor and SR would sure make headlines, and elicit intense discussions in the forums - but for the wrong reason. Just hope that it isn't true.
Relax it isn't, I just wanted to stir some people up!
08-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The K5 also forgoes the shutter button in favor of a clap activated shutter.