Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
And I've got to disagree. I'm above average height (6'1") with large hands, and I find the K-7 exceptionally comfortable either with or without the grip -- not only compared to compact SLRs, but even compared to pro models. I wouldn't want one ounce of unnecessary weight, nor any extra volume added to it, unless it was to bring useful new features. If you ask me, the trim body of the K-7 is one of its biggest selling points -- you essentially get semi-pro DSLR build quality and feature set in a form factor that's just as portable as most consumer DSLRs, if not more so.
I must have big hands then and something else is very big

I travelled for 3 months with the K-7 tried it with and without the grip and after long periods I found gripless my hand started to cramp. But that been said everyones hands are different.

It's like the original Xbox controllers, I loved the original controller and hated the new slimmer controllers.

08-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote

I travelled for 3 months with the K-7 tried it with and without the grip and after long periods I found gripless my hand started to cramp. But that been said everyones hands are different.

It's like the original Xbox controllers, I loved the original controller and hated the new slimmer controllers.
It's very simple really. The size/weight of a camera needs to match the lens you mount onto it. Balance is at least as important as size.

I found the K10D/K20D ok for larger lenses (DA*, FA*, Sigma EX) but too large and unbalanced for my limiteds (except the FA31). The grip balanced the camera out better, but it was still not a good match for small lenses.

The K-7 has the advantage that it fits small lenses perfectly and can be balanced nicely with a larger lens by adding the grip (larger than the grip for the K10D/K20D). As such the K-7 is a more flexible camera than the previous generation.

Of course everyone's hands are different as well, but it's important to add which lenses are used in these discussions in order to compare correctly.

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 08-10-2010 at 06:46 AM.
08-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too find the K-7 size to be just about perfect, and very comfortable even after a week of day-long use. Then again, I'm using it mostly with small/light primes, and I have average-sized hands. A bigger camera is of no interest to me now that I've tasted the compact ruggedness of the K-7. And I think a smaller camera would compromise ergonomics too much.
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #94

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh my God! Rather than K-5, I expect this to be included in the next firmware update for k-7. Just can't wait for those new buttons and VU-meter. Maybe they'll bring also an inflatable/deflatable version of the body+lens+grip+batteries+external flash with this update
Sorry, I couldn't resist. This image made my day. Thanks for sharing

Now serious, I also find the K-7 body just perfect for my hands and quite well balanced with larger lenses like DA* 16-50mm or DA* 50-135mm, even without the grip attached, but a bit too heavy for my "big-kid toy", a Paragon 500mm f/8

08-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #95
Forum Member

I wish the K-7 was a little taller. When I hold it with one hand, the bottom corner presses against the soft portion of my palm. I bought the grip, but that adds to the heft.
08-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #96
Veteran Member

That's interesting, in that I too despised the newer Xbox controllers, and liked the original one. My hands cramp up fairly quickly with the new ones. No such problems for me with the K-7 though...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
It's very simple really. The size/weight of a camera needs to match the lens you mount onto it. Balance is at least as important as size.

I found the K10D/K20D ok for larger lenses (DA*, FA*, Sigma EX) but too large and unbalanced for my limiteds (except the FA31). The grip balanced the camera out better, but it was still not a good match for small lenses.

The K-7 has the advantage that it fits small lenses perfectly and can be balanced nicely with a larger lens by adding the grip (larger than the grip for the K10D/K20D). As such the K-7 is a more flexible camera than the previous generation.

Of course everyone's hands are different as well, but it's important to add which lenses are used in these discussions in order to compare correctly.

Wim
That's probably part of it, yeah, but certainly not the whole explanation. I don't have any *huge* lenses, but I don't have anything really small, either.
08-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I too find the K-7 size to be just about perfect,
The size is OK but I don't like the balance of the K-7, it's too much on the left, it feels heavy and put pressure on my wrist. The K-x feels much better because of that, weight is more on the right (those 4 AAs help).

08-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #98

I have to admit, I'm starting to get curious whether different people just flat out hold their camera differently, but everyone more or less acts like there's only one way for the trigger hand to be there. Personally, I like having my pink under the camera. I haven't used a grip often, but when I have, I feel like the thing is slowly trying to torque out of my hand from not having my pinky steadying it. After I thought about it, I absentminded went to pick up my drink, and realize I do the same thing with cups, too.

I only mention it, because I wonder how many various ways of holding the camera there actually are, and if comfort level has as much to do with hand positioning as it does actual grip and hand size.