Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #616
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Osaka
Posts: 144
In your opinion, how many FF camera are expected for next year?

08-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #617
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Taylor, Texas
Posts: 1,017
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
I can count only 1, but it also has big big ?
That's what I thought too. Thanks!
08-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #618
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Taylor, Texas
Posts: 1,017
QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
In your opinion, how many FF camera are expected for next year?
One wonders how many cameras these companies can keep selling given the current economy. I kind of decided I'm going to sit this one out for a few years. I have a K7, KX, and E-P2 for digital and Leica M3 and Rollei for film. I don't see myself needing any new cameras for awhile. I'm not sure you really are getting much more every time you upgrade. That said, I shoot with the camera on M and always manual focus so the I'm probably an aberration.

I went from the K10 to the K20 to the K7, and I have to admit I could have skipped the K20. The K7 is nice because of it's size.

The camera I've really fallen in love with is the E-P2.

I
08-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #619
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 499
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Ok.

I know this won't change anyones speculations but the fact is, no FF till 2012 at least, don't expect an announcement till next year.

End of story.
If that's accurate, there will be little left of the enthusiast customer base left to sell it to.

08-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #620
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
If that's accurate, there will be little left of the enthusiast customer base left to sell it to.
That said, the current flip to FF without price drops from Canikon will force expenditures of at least $6,000 to maximize the offerings, bodies and lens.

That's a pretty hefty sum.
08-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #621
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
Original Poster
I'd like to add an argument to the chicken and egg situation we're still facing here.

1. Old facts, summarized:

FF cameras are (still) significantly more expensive and therefore, their production volume is lower. I already said that a volume-produced FF sensor wouldn't justify the steep increase in price we're still seeing. But with the steep increase in price, FF sensors aren't volume-produced (yet).

This circle installs a protection barrier for APS-C enthusiast cameras which will break away at some impredictable moment of time.


2. A new element adding to the discussion:

One reason why FF sensors are more expensive when not volume-produced is that the photoreticle (and stepper widths) weren't made large enough in the first place. Typical values go to up to 22x30mm. But larger reticles can be manufactured if justified by volume. By consequence, FF sensors are stitched which adds to the cost. A photoreticle is a phase shift glass plate with a complex pattern.

It turns out that Hoya is a leading manufacturer of reticles (together with Dai Nippon Printing Company, Toppan Photomasks, Photronics, Taiwan Mask Corporation, Compugraphics Photomask Solutions, Intel Mask Operations, AMD, IBM, NEC, TSMC, Samsung, Micron Technology). That's one asset of Hoya which Canikon may be lacking.

It may even be a good idea for Hoya to specialize on FF reticles and help Sony to manufacture (and share with Hoya) affordable wafers for FF sensors. Therefore, they could lead rather than follow.
08-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #622
Site Supporter
reflexio's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide
Photos: Albums
Posts: 13
I'd just like to be able to use my old (excellent) M lenses on a digital camera without sensor crop factor.

Pentax could offer the same camera with an option of FF or APS-C. Let the market decide. Surely it is not a big engineering issue.
08-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #623
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,197
QuoteOriginally posted by reflexio Quote
I'd just like to be able to use my old (excellent) M lenses on a digital camera without sensor crop factor.
I almost feel the same way except I'm not that concerned with the crop factor. I just wish they'd work with open-aperture metering.

08-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #624
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Osaka
Posts: 144
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I'd like to add an argument to the chicken and egg situation we're still facing here.

1. Old facts, summarized:

FF cameras are (still) significantly more expensive and therefore, their production volume is lower. I already said that a volume-produced FF sensor wouldn't justify the steep increase in price we're still seeing. But with the steep increase in price, FF sensors aren't volume-produced (yet).

This circle installs a protection barrier for APS-C enthusiast cameras which will break away at some impredictable moment of time.


2. A new element adding to the discussion:

One reason why FF sensors are more expensive when not volume-produced is that the photoreticle (and stepper widths) weren't made large enough in the first place. Typical values go to up to 22x30mm. But larger reticles can be manufactured if justified by volume. By consequence, FF sensors are stitched which adds to the cost. A photoreticle is a phase shift glass plate with a complex pattern.

It turns out that Hoya is a leading manufacturer of reticles (together with Dai Nippon Printing Company, Toppan Photomasks, Photronics, Taiwan Mask Corporation, Compugraphics Photomask Solutions, Intel Mask Operations, AMD, IBM, NEC, TSMC, Samsung, Micron Technology). That's one asset of Hoya which Canikon may be lacking.

It may even be a good idea for Hoya to specialize on FF reticles and help Sony to manufacture (and share with Hoya) affordable wafers for FF sensors. Therefore, they could lead rather than follow.
And by your statement 2, you just give an answer to your question in 1:
who is going to break the barrier between high end APS-C and affordable FF: in my opinion, not one of the companies offering such high price APS-C bodies (and at the same time "not cheap" FF), but rather a company not offering them, namely Sony and Pentax. At least, very possible (probable?) for Sony. Then for Pentax, one more time, everything is depending on FF sensors access (as you mentioned).

Good job Falconeye!
08-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #625
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It turns out that Hoya is a leading manufacturer of reticles (together with Dai Nippon Printing Company, Toppan Photomasks, Photronics, Taiwan Mask Corporation, Compugraphics Photomask Solutions, Intel Mask Operations, AMD, IBM, NEC, TSMC, Samsung, Micron Technology). That's one asset of Hoya which Canikon may be lacking.

It may even be a good idea for Hoya to specialize on FF reticles and help Sony to manufacture (and share with Hoya) affordable wafers for FF sensors. Therefore, they could lead rather than follow.
Sony Semiconductor has many other outlets (even if Hoya is the #1, where is the source of the statistics ?) to source that w/o need to share anything with competition (Hoya)...
08-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #626
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Just out of curiosity, how many new full frame cameras are being introduced this year?
read bythom.com - there is some info about how many Nikon will introduce.
08-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #627
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Where do you see these very large, high resolution screens being used? I'm having trouble coming up with a viable scenario for this.
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
read bythom.com - there is some info about how many Nikon will introduce.
The far more interesting news on Thom's site is the very quiet assertion that Nikon has brought all sensor design and manufacture in-house. No more buying from Sony. That likely spurred the Sony dropping FF rumours. Nikon was likely Sony's largest customer.
08-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #628
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The far more interesting news on Thom's site is the very quiet assertion that Nikon has brought all sensor design and manufacture in-house. No more buying from Sony. That likely spurred the Sony dropping FF rumours. Nikon was likely Sony's largest customer.
This would be very important news indeed as Sony would have much more interest in sharing the latest sensor production with Hoya / Pentax to leverage costs.

Maybe that's the reason why we'll see the latest 16Mpx sensor in the K-5 (well according to rumors)
08-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #629
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The far more interesting news on Thom's site is the very quiet assertion that Nikon has brought all sensor design and manufacture in-house. No more buying from Sony. That likely spurred the Sony dropping FF rumours. Nikon was likely Sony's largest customer.
that is old (several days already) news...
08-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #630
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I'd like to add an argument to the chicken and egg situation we're still facing here.

1. Old facts, summarized:

FF cameras are (still) significantly more expensive and therefore, their production volume is lower. I already said that a volume-produced FF sensor wouldn't justify the steep increase in price we're still seeing. But with the steep increase in price, FF sensors aren't volume-produced (yet).

This circle installs a protection barrier for APS-C enthusiast cameras which will break away at some impredictable moment of time.


2. A new element adding to the discussion:

One reason why FF sensors are more expensive when not volume-produced is that the photoreticle (and stepper widths) weren't made large enough in the first place. Typical values go to up to 22x30mm. But larger reticles can be manufactured if justified by volume. By consequence, FF sensors are stitched which adds to the cost. A photoreticle is a phase shift glass plate with a complex pattern.

It turns out that Hoya is a leading manufacturer of reticles (together with Dai Nippon Printing Company, Toppan Photomasks, Photronics, Taiwan Mask Corporation, Compugraphics Photomask Solutions, Intel Mask Operations, AMD, IBM, NEC, TSMC, Samsung, Micron Technology). That's one asset of Hoya which Canikon may be lacking.

It may even be a good idea for Hoya to specialize on FF reticles and help Sony to manufacture (and share with Hoya) affordable wafers for FF sensors. Therefore, they could lead rather than follow.
If FF sensor prices are no longer a major issue in the move to FF cameras, the winners will be those makers who have the systems (bodies, mounts, lenses, etc.) in place to take quick advantage of the change. Those who are not ready fall another step behind and/or retreat further into their niche.

And why would we assume that Hoya's Electro-Optics division would not sell reticles to Nikon? It may be too soon to see where Hoya's interests lie in the consumer photo industry.

Yet another two-edged sword.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
frame, k-5, lenses, mystery, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photokina, release
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full frame pentax cem.kumuk Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 11-12-2010 03:13 PM
I think the Pentax FF will be announced at Photokina 2010 whatever7 Pentax News and Rumors 106 02-04-2010 12:45 AM
Expired Theme Theme: Contest #41, January, 2010 (Frame within a Frame) Adam Monthly Photo Contests 11 01-21-2010 12:33 AM
The almost full frame Pentax? denisv Photographic Technique 44 01-19-2009 04:01 AM
New Pentax k18D - Full Frame ebooks4pentax Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 10-31-2007 05:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top