Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #616

In your opinion, how many FF camera are expected for next year?

08-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #617
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
I can count only 1, but it also has big big ?
That's what I thought too. Thanks!
08-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #618
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
In your opinion, how many FF camera are expected for next year?
One wonders how many cameras these companies can keep selling given the current economy. I kind of decided I'm going to sit this one out for a few years. I have a K7, KX, and E-P2 for digital and Leica M3 and Rollei for film. I don't see myself needing any new cameras for awhile. I'm not sure you really are getting much more every time you upgrade. That said, I shoot with the camera on M and always manual focus so the I'm probably an aberration.

I went from the K10 to the K20 to the K7, and I have to admit I could have skipped the K20. The K7 is nice because of it's size.

The camera I've really fallen in love with is the E-P2.

I
08-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #619
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Ok.

I know this won't change anyones speculations but the fact is, no FF till 2012 at least, don't expect an announcement till next year.

End of story.
If that's accurate, there will be little left of the enthusiast customer base left to sell it to.

08-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
If that's accurate, there will be little left of the enthusiast customer base left to sell it to.
That said, the current flip to FF without price drops from Canikon will force expenditures of at least $6,000 to maximize the offerings, bodies and lens.

That's a pretty hefty sum.
08-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #621
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'd like to add an argument to the chicken and egg situation we're still facing here.

1. Old facts, summarized:

FF cameras are (still) significantly more expensive and therefore, their production volume is lower. I already said that a volume-produced FF sensor wouldn't justify the steep increase in price we're still seeing. But with the steep increase in price, FF sensors aren't volume-produced (yet).

This circle installs a protection barrier for APS-C enthusiast cameras which will break away at some impredictable moment of time.

2. A new element adding to the discussion:

One reason why FF sensors are more expensive when not volume-produced is that the photoreticle (and stepper widths) weren't made large enough in the first place. Typical values go to up to 22x30mm. But larger reticles can be manufactured if justified by volume. By consequence, FF sensors are stitched which adds to the cost. A photoreticle is a phase shift glass plate with a complex pattern.

It turns out that Hoya is a leading manufacturer of reticles (together with Dai Nippon Printing Company, Toppan Photomasks, Photronics, Taiwan Mask Corporation, Compugraphics Photomask Solutions, Intel Mask Operations, AMD, IBM, NEC, TSMC, Samsung, Micron Technology). That's one asset of Hoya which Canikon may be lacking.

It may even be a good idea for Hoya to specialize on FF reticles and help Sony to manufacture (and share with Hoya) affordable wafers for FF sensors. Therefore, they could lead rather than follow.
08-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #622

I'd just like to be able to use my old (excellent) M lenses on a digital camera without sensor crop factor.

Pentax could offer the same camera with an option of FF or APS-C. Let the market decide. Surely it is not a big engineering issue.

08-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #623
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reflexio Quote
I'd just like to be able to use my old (excellent) M lenses on a digital camera without sensor crop factor.
I almost feel the same way except I'm not that concerned with the crop factor. I just wish they'd work with open-aperture metering.
08-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #624

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I'd like to add an argument to the chicken and egg situation we're still facing here.

FF cameras are (still) significantly more expensive and therefore, their production volume is lower. I already said that a volume-produced FF sensor wouldn't justify the steep increase in price we're still seeing. But with the steep increase in price, FF sensors aren't volume-produced (yet).

This circle installs a protection barrier for APS-C enthusiast cameras which will break away at some impredictable moment of time.

One reason why FF sensors are more expensive when not volume-produced is that the photoreticle (and stepper widths) weren't made large enough in the first place. Typical values go to up to 22x30mm. But larger reticles can be manufactured if justified by volume. By consequence, FF sensors are stitched which adds to the cost. A photoreticle is a phase shift glass plate with a complex pattern.

It turns out that Hoya is a leading manufacturer of reticles (together with Dai Nippon Printing Company, Toppan Photomasks, Photronics, Taiwan Mask Corporation, Compugraphics Photomask Solutions, Intel Mask Operations, AMD, IBM, NEC, TSMC, Samsung, Micron Technology). That's one asset of Hoya which Canikon may be lacking.

It may even be a good idea for Hoya to specialize on FF reticles and help Sony to manufacture (and share with Hoya) affordable wafers for FF sensors. Therefore, they could lead rather than follow.
And by your statement 2, you just give an answer to your question in 1:
who is going to break the barrier between high end APS-C and affordable FF: in my opinion, not one of the companies offering such high price APS-C bodies (and at the same time "not cheap" FF), but rather a company not offering them, namely Sony and Pentax. At least, very possible (probable?) for Sony. Then for Pentax, one more time, everything is depending on FF sensors access (as you mentioned).

Good job Falconeye!
08-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #625
Veteran Member

Sony Semiconductor has many other outlets (even if Hoya is the #1, where is the source of the statistics ?) to source that w/o need to share anything with competition (Hoya)...
08-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #626
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Just out of curiosity, how many new full frame cameras are being introduced this year?
read bythom.com - there is some info about how many Nikon will introduce.
08-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Where do you see these very large, high resolution screens being used? I'm having trouble coming up with a viable scenario for this.
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
read bythom.com - there is some info about how many Nikon will introduce.
The far more interesting news on Thom's site is the very quiet assertion that Nikon has brought all sensor design and manufacture in-house. No more buying from Sony. That likely spurred the Sony dropping FF rumours. Nikon was likely Sony's largest customer.
08-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #628
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The far more interesting news on Thom's site is the very quiet assertion that Nikon has brought all sensor design and manufacture in-house. No more buying from Sony. That likely spurred the Sony dropping FF rumours. Nikon was likely Sony's largest customer.
This would be very important news indeed as Sony would have much more interest in sharing the latest sensor production with Hoya / Pentax to leverage costs.

Maybe that's the reason why we'll see the latest 16Mpx sensor in the K-5 (well according to rumors)
08-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #629
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
that is old (several days already) news...
08-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #630
Veteran Member

If FF sensor prices are no longer a major issue in the move to FF cameras, the winners will be those makers who have the systems (bodies, mounts, lenses, etc.) in place to take quick advantage of the change. Those who are not ready fall another step behind and/or retreat further into their niche.

And why would we assume that Hoya's Electro-Optics division would not sell reticles to Nikon? It may be too soon to see where Hoya's interests lie in the consumer photo industry.

Yet another two-edged sword.