Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #691
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
RE: To anyone in the know in the peanut gallery... is this true?

It's all relative. Larger format means less magnification to get to a particular viewing size. But since the idea is to get superior image quality, a poor lens would be counter-productive. There are many good quality old full frame lenses around, though, if you know which one to look for. That's a Pentax advantage that makes so many here desirous of a full frame K-mount body.

08-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #692
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
People who live in glass-houses....

I wonder what everyone is going to do after Photokina? This whole forum will fall silent, probably. It will be like a ghost town.
People can debate the specs of the K-5 replacement, oh wait that's already happened....

Oh maybe they can argue about the High ISO problems of Canons new 120mp sensor and how terrible its 1600ISO performance must be.....
08-28-2010, 12:52 AM   #693
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
* FF is coming but not for a while, I've confirmed this with multiple sources.
This entire thread is nothing but to ask for this statement but from Pentax.

So, why are you so negative about it?

Yourself seem to care about as well. Otherwise, you wouldn't have checked with multiple sources
08-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #694
emr

For a long time I really expected them to release or at least announce a FF camera this year at the latest. But in this regard I think the train has left the station already. If they ever do, it'll be too late IMO. People who care for such a camera have already left the brand by then and the ones remaining "loyal" don't want or care for one. Also, considering how fast the camera technology seems to be changing at the moment, the whole concept of a 35mm DSLR may be obsolete by then.

08-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #695
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

So, why are you so negative about it?

Yourself seem to care about as well. Otherwise, you wouldn't have checked with multiple sources
I'm interested as I'm a tech nut and I always like new gadgets.

It's not that im negative about it, I'm just tired of hearing the same old tired arguments again and again and again, the same armchair critics and people who claim to know more about optics and sensor technology than the people who actually design them, it's tiring.

Having used FF yes I can see the benefits, but would it make me a better photographer? no way!
08-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #696
Pentaxian

Having used FF yes I can see the benefits, but would it make me a better photographer? no way!
Having used FF yes I can see the benefits, and it would definitely make my photos better.

(I owned and used the 5D MkI but apart from the IQ I was so underwhelmed with the clunky camera, its handling and the user interface and the MkII is no better in this regard).
08-28-2010, 02:17 AM   #697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read this argument a lot of time but it's also true of APS-C vs m4/3 vs P&S. But why we upgraded from P&S to APS-C DSLR? Not because it was going to make us better photographers but simply because we could afford better tools. If a Pentax FF is launched and I can afford it I'll buy it, it's that simple. I certainly don't really need it (my biggest print size is 17x25" and any APS-C is good enough for that) but I prefer it. It's like cars, If you can afford a Lexus you're not going to buy a Toyota just because it's as fast to get you from point A to point B.

Last edited by ManuH; 08-28-2010 at 02:31 AM.
08-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #698
Veteran Member

People who live in glass-houses....

I wonder what everyone is going to do after Photokina? This whole forum will fall silent, probably. It will be like a ghost town.
Probably only this Rumours section will settle down for a while. Otherwise the majority of us simply continue as always: share photos and thoughts on photography. This whole forum stays as lively as it has.
08-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #699
Pentaxian

Those who can afford K-5s will be gone shooting, those who can't will still be here discussing the superiority of FF and the impending death of Pentax
08-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #700
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote

Those who can afford K-5s will be gone shooting, those who can't will still be here discussing the superiority of FF and the impending death of Pentax
That's true, leave the heated debates to the poor armchair pseudo experts who can debate the issue to death for better than they can probably shoot. What a waste of time and creativity...
08-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #701
emr

QuoteQuote:
None of you armchair critics are camera or sensor designers, engineers, etc your just a pack of armchair critics.
QuoteQuote:
It's not that im negative about it, I'm just tired of hearing the same old tired arguments again and again and again, the same armchair critics and people who claim to know more about optics and sensor technology than the people who actually design them, it's tiring.
QuoteQuote:
That's true, leave the heated debates to the poor armchair pseudo experts who can debate the issue to death for better than they can probably shoot. What a waste of time and creativity...
What an epidemy of these wrong kind of armchair guys we are experiencing! I suggest replacing them all with armchair police and armchair wannabe-moderators who control the discussion so it stays on the correct path.
08-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #702
Veteran Member

Back to the original topic of this thread, we are three weeks out from Photokina and we have had barely any info on what Pentax plans to announce there. I mean I think most of us think we have a good idea of what the two cameras are going to be, but the truth could very well be different.

Knowing this is how Hoya operates, doesn't it seem unlikely that they would tip their hand about a camera that they might not plan on releasing for quite some time?
08-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #703
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I'd be ok if they had a mock-up under glass like Sony did, back before the A900 was released.
08-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #704
Veteran Member

I think that many would accept a simple directional announcement, even if it's only that FF is due in 2012 and a stepping stone or two (lens direction) in the meantime. No one is expecting a product announcement.

That's the whole point of this thread: asking Hoya/Pentax for that directional statement.
08-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #705
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
I'd be ok if they had a mock-up under glass like Sony did, back before the A900 was released.
The problem with that is that in the past they already did that with the MZ-D, DA* 60-250mm and 645D. And for many years they were just vapourware or even canceled in the MZ-D case. And they lost some credibility in the process. I personally wouldn't take seriously any mock-up presented at Photokina.