Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #721
Veteran Member

Very interesting!

The best part is that they probably don't smack on the old AF module on a completely new SR tray.

08-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #722
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I don't know, but is the benefit worth the effort in this case? If it really is such a huge benefit then maybe the canikon bunch is right and in-lens stabilization is the way to go for Pentax as well. Or maybe we should smack on some motors to the viewfinder while we are at it?
Maybe, the effort is small. Optical stabilization in each and every lens is what I would call effort

Moreover, the invention described by the patent has potential. In continous mode, it could equalize shake more aggressively and over more extended periods of time than possible with a moving sensor or lens. E.g., when following a bird with a tele lens, the AF point could be nailed onto the subject and not loosing the bird while the viewfinder image is shacky as hell to keep the bird framed at all and each image is still made sharp by sensor shift. Of course, would need a panning detection...

But that's me again, thinking beyond the point which is reasonable After all, it's yet another patent ...
08-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #723
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Maybe, the effort is small. Optical stabilization in each and every lens is what I would call effort

Moreover, the invention described by the patent has potential. In continous mode, it could equalize shake more aggressively and over more extended periods of time than possible with a moving sensor or lens. E.g., when following a bird with a tele lens, the AF point could be nailed onto the subject and not loosing the bird while the viewfinder image is shacky as hell to keep the bird framed at all and each image is still made sharp by sensor shift. Of course, would need a panning detection...
And of course, also a new method to display the AF point(s) in the viewfinder. Maybe that's what the previous viewfinder patents were about
08-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #724
Veteran Member

Maybe it is possible not only to compensate for shake but also follow objects that moves within the frame (limited movement though)?

08-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #725
Pentaxian

I found that my K-7 seems to focus more surely with the Sigma 18-250 than the Tammy at 250mm 6.3. The Tammy would saw back and forth and fail, even with decent light and contrast. The Sigma does noticeably better. I made the upgrade with that in mind so I may have spent USD $500 to get the placebo effect .....
08-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #726
Site Supporter

interesting. the 2nd pdf high-ratio zoom lens (seems this was already posted before?)
looks like the upgrade to the now discontinued 18-250

interesting times
09-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #727
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

But that's me again, thinking beyond the point which is reasonable After all, it's yet another patent ...
This post of yours summarizes pretty much what I would like to see happening in the next Pentax "high-end" cameras: reliable, fast, accurate and lock-capable AF, especially when it comes to BIF photos.
Also, and perhaps even more a wanted feature: an AF capable of locking on the moving subject "towards the photographer".

I have missed quite a few "would-have-been-great" birds shots because I just couldn't keep the focus on the oncoming bird(s), either in AF-C and/or AF-S ... I tried manual focusing under such circumstances and the results were actually a bit better.
But, that could well be because of the photographer himself, right?

JP
09-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #728
Pentaxian

In my case it's aircraft, AIF. The stabilized Sigma 18-250 does work better than the Tamron at 250mm, perhaps because the image is stabilized on the AF sensor. That was my supposition when I bought the Sigma.

OTOH, the K-7 also does well with the Sigma 100-300 which isn't stabilized.

Perhaps the 18-250 needs additional help owing to the small f/6.3 aperture at 250 but the 100-300 does well without stabilization owing to the larger f/4 aperture.

Perhaps I'm making this all up.

Maybe I should simply buy the K-5 and try everything again.

Yes, that's the ticket. Buy more stuff.

Much less work than actually learning how to pan properly .....