Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I wonder if any of these bloggers has done any surveying to find out what the marketing realities are regarding enthusiast interests? We've had one long poll on lenses recently, and another (one question?) FF/EVIL query. But has anyone asked the broader 'Pentax enthusiast' crowd (hopefully a superset, not just this forum) about their interest level in actually *buying* a FF DSLR? For instance:

1. How much would you pay for a new FF DSLR body?
2. How much would you pay for a new FF DSLR system?

To my knowledge there's not been a concerted effort to form an advocacy group for Pentax, has there? Or to do a any work to derive at some consensus on recommended products?

Is there no interest in doing so? Has any past attempt failed? If so, was it due to apathy? For instance, if I put together a thread with a survey, would I even get ten responses?

Actually, I'm going to try it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/110002-how-much-wo...ml#post1133665

There.
Good initiative!

I participate and invite others to do as well. As always, one would like to know more before answering this kind of questions. But hey, if you know it all, you don't need no surveys, right?

Good initiative and so I bumped this post a bit

08-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
While I agree that they should either bring a FF camera or at least give a proper roadmap, I'm sure they wouldn't give a rat's ass about an open letter from some camera forum. Especially as many here actively oppose a FF camera by Pentax.
. . . not to mention those that are clamoring in the opposite direction for an EVIL body.

With due respect, the 645D does not probably work all that well with the FF-capable K mount lenses most members have.
It does work with existing 645 lenses, especially the FA ones. The film bodies were pretty much a pro system as is the 645d.

QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
moved to - Off-Topic Forums > General Talk ?????

is someone hating FF cameras?
Not as much as EVIL cams!!!!!

Last edited by Blue; 08-07-2010 at 06:17 PM.
08-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #108
Veteran Member

can somebody move this thread where it belongs, to rumors or news sections, please
08-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #109
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It does work with existing 645 lenses, especially the FA ones. The film bodies were pretty much a pro system as is the 645d.
Blue, the point was that if there isn't that much point in calling the 645D an upgrade option for Pentax APS-C DSLR users if no lens or accessory of theirs would work and they'd have to start from scratch.

08-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #110
Site Supporter

Blue, the point was that if there isn't that much point in calling the 645D an upgrade option for Pentax APS-C DSLR users if no lens or accessory of theirs would work and they'd have to start from scratch.
When you state that way that's true. If an EVIL body that has a different lens mount is released, it will be the same thing.
08-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
A "zero point" user infraction is a user infraction. Let's keep the facts straight. Btw, the user infraction page (I quoted in post #86) doesn't mention infraction points anyway.

As a matter of fact, you made me upset. Not by the infraction (that's seems to be a Mods game I don't care about anyway). But about moving my thread to the section where creationists hang out. And I still am. That's all what counts as far as I and my motivation to provide content here, are concerned.

P.S.
Adam expects you to move the thread back ...
And a section that I intentionally block, meaning I wouldn't see the thread nor updates after the move!
08-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good to have the thread where it belongs.

Now lets see if Falconeye's predictions ( about Pentax keeping silence ) turn out to be true.

08-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
And what could give more pro credibility for the brand than the 645D?
Canons most sold pro model isn't even FF....
The problem is...nobody knows about the 645d. Sure we do, we're probably the hardest-core Pentax fans. Some other photo geeks from other brands might know about it too.

The average consumer doesn't. I don't know about Europe or else where but in the United States and Canada the camera isn't even for sale or on the website.

I don't care how big the sensor size is. I think that a camera that Pentax can say in its introductory video "for professional quality results" or some other crap like that is what the brand needs. The professional moniker still counts for something.
08-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax needs a FF if nothing else as a marketing tool.
But before that, Pentax actually NEEDS a marketing department and retail presence.
As somebody else said, marketing can sell a bad product. But a good product can not sell itself without marketing.
Another thing: No matter how good a product is, it will not be considered by "pros" if it is not backed by a good service strategy. Local access, fast and reliable repairs, loaners, rentals etc.....
It is far more than just designing and building the thing.....
08-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #115
Veteran Member

That was the problem with the Pentax LX.
The best camera of its type,with the lowest marketing.......
08-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #116
Veteran Member

My main hope is that Pentax will be spurred on by the initial success of the 645D to the point that they will consider a professional support network. This would almost make me more optimistic that a full frame camera will eventually arrive than some Pentax PR person saying something like "We may consider FF at a later date." They can keep saying that forever and do nothing about it.
08-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
When you state that way that's true. If an EVIL body that has a different lens mount is released, it will be the same thing.

It's not the same thing. Adapting a lens to a smaller format and/or registration distance is done all the time with simple adaptors. Decreasing the registration distance is a little more challenging, as it requires major lens/camera surgery or negotiation with the laws of physics
08-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
But before that, Pentax actually NEEDS a marketing department and retail presence.
Funny, but here in France (don't know about Europe), Pentax has a pretty good representation...

Every brand has about the same "street" share (what you see around the necks)... A little bit more for canikon, little bit less for Sonympus, but you get the idea...

In my immediate entourage (family and coworkers), I even know more pentaxians than any other brand...
08-09-2010, 02:34 AM   #119
Veteran Member

But France is not Europe,isn´t it?
In France,the Pentaxname was a very good name for years.
Good to read that is still like that.
08-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
The problem is...nobody knows about the 645d. Sure we do, we're probably the hardest-core Pentax fans. Some other photo geeks from other brands might know about it too.
It worths not much but an colleague of mine who got into photo recently (1-2 years ago) shoots Canon (40D and 5D) and definitely got his keyboard wet when I saw the 645D (and every time he thinks about getting one).
And no, I didn't even tell him myself.

This is, however, a single example which may not be representative at all.