Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 04:38 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
This is, however, a single example which may not be representative at all.
Well, according to Google trends, it is. Below is the search activity chart of 645D (vlur) vs. the sum of H3D or H4D, the recent Hasselblad models.

08-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Good to have the thread where it belongs.
Now lets see if Falconeye's predictions ( about Pentax keeping silence ) turn out to be true.
Pentax will be totally silent on FF until they see where the Canikon and Sony price points go. If Canikon's FF (and even APS-H) offerings get within spitting distance of the $1,500 price point, Pentax will have to say something.

The literature in another thread about new DA* lenses is interesting because they, too, could be FF-compatible lenses. If they are (and the caveat to the truth of these rumours), we know that Pentax is hedging its bets.

FF is about when, not if.
08-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
While I agree that they should either bring a FF camera or at least give a proper roadmap, I'm sure they wouldn't give a rat's ass about an open letter from some camera forum. Especially as many here actively oppose a FF camera by Pentax.
A few of those against FF have already jumped to the D700
08-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Pentax will be totally silent on FF until they see where the Canikon and Sony price points go. If Canikon's FF (and even APS-H) offerings get within spitting distance of the $1,500 price point, Pentax will have to say something.

The literature in another thread about new DA* lenses is interesting because they, too, could be FF-compatible lenses. If they are (and the caveat to the truth of these rumours), we know that Pentax is hedging its bets.

I don't normally gamble, but on this one I would be willing to wager say $100 US there will be no Pentax full frame camera in the next 2-3 years. I'd also bet there will be a Pentax mirrorless long before they release a full frame camera. Pentax is just never going to be Canon or Nikon no matter how many forum members wish they were. I'm always somewhat mystified why more people who post here don't just get it over with and buy a Canon or Nikon. They are very nice cameras. I'm looking at switching to Olympus. People do it all the time. I'm going to get an E 3 and use it for a while to see.

I have the full DA 15-70mm, K7, KX, more KA and M lenses than I care to think about, Sigmas 28, 50, 70, and 120-400mm, Vivitar 105mm and a Kiron 105mm. I'll lose my shirt when I sell them but it's only money. Life's too short to worry about money, just find something you like and go with it. If you really just can't take photographs without a full frame camera then buy one and get it over with. I really don't mean that sarcastically. I just think you should focus on what you can get instead of extrapolating out what you think will happen. A lot of people forecast all kinds of things. Most of them are usually wrong, myself included. That said, from what I've seen with Pentax they are not going to compete with Canon or Nikon. They are niche company, much like Olympus.

Personally having used both the Canon and the Sony, I'd go with the Sony. Very nice camera. I haven't used the Nikon, but I'm sure it's great. I used to have a Nikon N90S. They make really fine photographic equipment. Without a doubt much better than Pentax across the board. I'm sure there are Pentax products past and present that are the equivalent if not better, but ultimately Nikon and Canon's entire product line is better than Pentax. They just have more resources available, so no big surprise there. Personally, I'm just not a good enough photographer to need that type of gear.

08-09-2010, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #125
Veteran Member

I would tend to agree.

If prices on FF cameras get low enough, I think you'll see more people start to consider them, especially given the benefits (viewfinder, 50mm=50mm FOV etc.)

I know it's been said again and again, but if you look at the current Pentax lens line-up, you've got:

DA* 55mm
DA* 60-250mm
DA* 200mm
DA* 300mm
DA Limited 100mm Macro

that are all FF compatible. Throw in the legacy FA Limiteds and the FA 50mm and you're one normal zoom short of a decent FF starting point. People complain about Pentax not being able to support two lens lines? Half of the current lens line up is FF ready anyways.
08-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it's worth, check out this video about the 2000 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. About 1:07 into the story, you get your first glimpse of what the photographer is using. It's a Pentax 6X7. This wasn't the clip I was looking for, but it serves the same purpose. If I remember right, the very first tv special about the SI swimsuit issue showed a guy shooting with a Pentax 645. So Pentax was a camera of choice among even the most serious sports photography venues, but their place wasn't on the sidelines of sporting events. It was in more controlled environments. This is why, to me, the 645D makes more sense than a FF Pentax at this point.
08-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
For what it's worth, check out this video about the 2000 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. About 1:07 into the story, you get your first glimpse of what the photographer is using.
Don't be shy to link

08-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
This is why, to me, the 645D makes more sense than a FF Pentax at this point.
My regular reminder

This thread is more about if Pentax shall continue to leave Pentaxians in the dark about their FF plans or not. And FF plans they have.
08-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #129
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
Oops...guess I forgot that part, huh? lol
08-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #130

I hope Pentax can release FF and I will buy one.
Don't even mention Pentax already has 645D, which is bigger than FF.
That is a different system.
FF provides the more capability to blur the background and more flexable to create the image.
APSc camera cannot do this.
If high ISO quality in APS can be improved, don't you think FF high ISO quality can be improved more too?
08-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Oops...guess I forgot that part, huh? lol
There were cameras in that video?
08-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I don't normally gamble, but on this one I would be willing to wager say $100 US there will be no Pentax full frame camera in the next 2-3 years. I'd also bet there will be a Pentax mirrorless long before they release a full frame camera.
The error in this gamble is twofold:

1) It's not Pentax's call. If Canikon decide to amortize their FF fab investments (and maybe Sony too) by extending the FF sensor into lower price points, Pentax has no choice. They either go FF or exit the DSLR business.

2) Mirrorless can be FF as well. They are not mutually exclusive. The Sony E-mount on the NEX anticipates an FF image circle, which is one reason why the current APS-C lens looks like a can of beer sitting next to a pack of cigarettes.
08-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
There were cameras in that video?
Yes. Twin lens reflex. At about 1:02 of the same video.
08-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Yes. Twin lens reflex. At about 1:02 of the same video.
Uh. Sarcasm? I wasn't really paying attention to the cameras if you get my drift...
08-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Uh. Sarcasm? I wasn't really paying attention to the cameras if you get my drift...
Then mine is double sarcasm

Goodness gracious! We're off-topic.